Good: Mother defends self and baby

This is a discussion on Good: Mother defends self and baby within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by JoJoGunn I have been following this, and in the 911 audio, the dispatcher did not tell her to shoot, only "do what ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Good: Mother defends self and baby

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I have been following this, and in the 911 audio, the dispatcher did not tell her to shoot, only "do what you have to do" to protect herself while Police were enroute.

I guess the 911 clerk probably figured the girl was going to shoot this pond scum because the cops were not going to be able to be there in just a few minutes. Guess she was correct.
    I just read the article on CNN. Evidently 911 dispatchers are instructed NOT to tell people to shoot. In the interview with the operator, it is clear that she was desperately hoping the woman would shoot him when she told her to take the necessary action.

I can't find fault with this particular operator, there are so many idiots who recommend that people cooperate with their attackers. I would probably decide to do so if I was behind the curve and was unarmed, but otherwise, I'm going to do what I have to do.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I just read this article. Good for the mother and good for the 911 dispatcher for not trying the usual crap and telling her to wait for the police.

And I agree, she is entitled to some good luck now. I think she has used up her whole allotment of bad luck at this point. If the scum bag's family try to sue her for wrongful death, I may have to drive to Oklahoma and kick them in the head.
    Thanks for the thought, Mike, but plenty of us Okies will be around to do that if it needs doing. And, any attempts to sue the lady for wrongful death would fail, as we have the Castle law here (was often called the "Make My Day" law back in 1983 when it passed).
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Wow very terrible. I am glad she was able to do what she had to do.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

I can't help but to feel sad for her and extremely proud of her at the same time. Having just lost her husband, on a holiday no less. Then to have to worry for her own and childs safety?

I absolutely love her matter of fact, calm demeanor. Cut him down the second he stepped through the door and hopefully doesn't lose a seconds sleep over it. We need millions more of her in this country.

"I wouldn't have done it, but it was my son," McKinley told ABC News

This is the only part that I think she got wrong. They were definetely there for her. Child or no child she did the right thing.

This is a very happy ending.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Twenty one minutes. More than that when you add the time until she made the call.

I can hardly stand spending twenty minutes in line, or twenty minutes waiting for the wife... much less waiting locked in a bedroom for thugs to come through the door.

At least she had it, and she used it.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

The second to last thing on his mind was rape. The last thing was oh crap.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

VIP Member
    Really, 21 minutes.

21 minutes ya gotta be kidding me, but remember that LEO does not have to protect you as an individul but as a society.

With all due respect I have waited over 30 minutes for backup holding a suspect at gunpoint before. In todays society of cutbacks, Federal money being cut off, layoffs, and folks living farther and farther out there will be an increased response time to calls. There are times when there is one, count them all ONE, deputy or trooper on duty at any given time in a county or in the case of State Police multiple counties at any one time in some cases on certain days/times there may only be an on call officer to respond. If he/she happens to be at the other end of the county when the call comes it will take awhile to get there.

So please before you start questioning the response time please take into consideration all of the circumstances.

In regards to the OP good for her she did what she had to do.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member
    Twenty one minutes does seem like a long time, especially in a small town like Blanchard, southwest of Norman Ok. I don't know how large of a police force they have there or if they had to rely on the local Sheriff dept. but I am glad that it all came out well for her!
    RKBA

John

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    21 minutes ya gotta be kidding me, but remember that LEO does not have to protect you as an individul but as a society. Seconds count when help is only minutes away. The young lady has allready been through more than what most of us will encounter in life. She did what she had to do and she has to live with that as well. But I can tell you now, she'd probably rather live with that, than having maybe to live with being raped or watching her baby be kidnapped or killed.
    I've been a Police Officer for 17 years and I agree with you...The Supreme Court did rule the way you said as well about our responsibilities to protecting an individual. All I can tell you is speaking for myself I would never ever never not do my job to help protect or save as many people or as little people as I could to my best ability and many of us in this job feel that way. I don't care what the excuses are on a routine call, sure 21 minutes no big deal...but a in progress home invasion like that? There is no excuse that it took them that long to get there. Inexcusable. I'm glad the Mother made some worm food.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

That poor girl just lost her husband during Christmas, then these two POS dudes break-in to her home. One got what he deserved and the other got off way too lucky! Now she has to live with the loss of her husband, and this too, while raising a child on her own. She is a protective mother and recent widow, whom handled a dangerous situation priestly.

She called 911 to report a break-in, told the the operator I have a baby and I am armed and asked what she can and should do, they gave her the right information, and she acted appropriately.

It is time that all of our States get on board, and enact the Castle Doctrine. Your Home Is Your Castle! And you should have the right to defend it and your loved ones against All Evil Doers who intrude it with the intent to do you harm and too steal your possessions that you have work hard for.

Duty-to-Retreat? In your own home? Poppycock!!! Then why even lock the doors? Or why even have a door; just drape a sheet over the opening so anyone or anything can just come on in at will and help themselves to what ever you have. It's your home and you should at least be able to Stand-Your-Ground in Your Own Home!

Kudos to that poor girl for having the fortitude to protecting herself and her child.

That poor girl just lost her husband during Christmas, then these two POS dudes break-in to her home. One got what he deserved and the other got off way too lucky! Now she has to live with the loss of her husband, and this too, while raising a child on her own. She is a protective mother and recent widow, whom handled a dangerous situation priestly.

She called 911 to report a break-in, told the the operator I have a baby and I am armed and asked what she can and should do, they gave her the right information, and she acted appropriately.

It is time that all of our States get on board, and enact the Castle Doctrine. Your Home Is Your Castle! And you should have the right to defend it and your loved ones against All Evil Doers who intrude it with the intent to do you harm and too steal your possessions that you have work hard for.

Duty-to-Retreat? In your own home? Poppycock!!! Then why even lock the doors? Or why even have a door; just drape a sheet over the opening so anyone or anything can just come on in at will and help themselves to what ever you have. It's your home and you should at least be able to Stand-Your-Ground in Your Own Home!

Kudos to that poor girl for having the fortitude to protecting herself and her child.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I deleted my thread-start after I saw this one.

Here's a CNN story and video:
    Oklahoma mom calling 911 asks if shooting an intruder is allowed - CNN.com

The accomplice of the late scumbag has been charged with murder in the death of his bud:

Suspect In Home Invasion Charged With Cohort's Death - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City

CHICKASHA, Okla. -- A suspect in a home invasion that left a second suspect dead has been charged with murder in the first degree, according to court documents.

Dustin Lewis Stewart will be arraigned in Grady County court on Thursday. Read more:

Everyone at work is talking about this story. I am doing very well not getting into the gun conversation.

But you know its just killing me!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links