Situation That happened to me on New Years - Page 2

Situation That happened to me on New Years

This is a discussion on Situation That happened to me on New Years within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First off I'm with oneshot, call the department and see if these "officers" are legit. You would be surprised at how many home invasions use ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Situation That happened to me on New Years

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    First off I'm with oneshot, call the department and see if these "officers" are legit. You would be surprised at how many home invasions use the police ruse. You can buy almost any police gear on line or over the phone now a days. Most reputable police supply companies won't ship police specific items unless they have your ID on file, but there are those who don't care as long as the money is good. After you know they are actual police then opening the door is up to you.
    Second you said something happened today. What was it? Was it similar to the situation above? In your situation I would move as soon as the house is built and all the paperwork settles. With your family at stake I hope your house doesn't take too long to build. Stay safe.

Good luck finding a new place..IMO you made all the right moves....I admire that you advised you where carrying...

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    First off I'm with oneshot, call the department and see if these "officers" are legit. You would be surprised at how many home invasions use the police ruse. You can buy almost any police gear on line or over the phone now a days. Most reputable police supply companies won't ship police specific items unless they have your ID on file, but there are those who don't care as long as the money is good. After you know they are actual police then opening the door is up to you.
    Second you said something happened today. What was it? Was it similar to the situation above? In your situation I would move as soon as the house is built and all the paperwork settles. With your family at stake I hope your house doesn't take too long to build. Stay safe.
    I think this would be the preferred approach, but I wonder if you would have had time or if they would have gotten impatient and busted in on you first?

I am also curious where they got the tip and how they got the wrong address.

Good to answer door though not required to "step outside". Once you step outside you are in their court and lose any advantage and most of your rights. I would have remained inside and told them that they clearly have the wrong apt and tell them to check their information again. If they insisted, I would politely suggest they get a warrant and close the door.

Nothing worse than amped up cops with incorrect information or wrong address.

Glad it turned out ok for you. That was a hell of a way to start the new year! Some Apartments have the last name on the door under the peep hole. I'd put my name on the door.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Good to answer door though not required to "step outside". Once you step outside you are in their court and lose any advantage and most of your rights. I would have remained inside and told them that they clearly have the wrong apt and tell them to check their information again. If they insisted, I would politely suggest they get a warrant and close the door.

Nothing worse than amped up cops with incorrect information or wrong address.
    Good luck with that. I disagree. While I may not go outside, I certainly wouldn't close the door on them. That would just result in a busted door. (But then, I don't rent, so until they found out they were wrong, and processed paperwork, it would be a while before they paid for the replacement.)

They're gonna come in, invited or with force... So, after confirming they are legit with the 911 call, they will be allowed in. But chances are, they won't feel the need because dispatch is telling them to get their Barney Fife fannies to the correct address. It ain't me they're looking for.

<Edit to add>

As soon as I hear: "Austin Police you need to open up!" I will respond with, "I am calling 911 right now to confirm your identity, you have the wrong address, but I will let you in as soon as I have confirmation." (and I'll have the phone on speaker; in an apartment, they'll hear it.)
    Last edited by oakchas; January 10th, 2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: addition
    GunGeezer and Ianator like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    And of course you never hear any statistics reported about how many wrongful arrests, shootings or detentions are scored by the authorities but you sure hear about accidental shootings, gun violations and anything to do with law-abiding citizens and guns.
    NYCrulesU likes this.

VIP Member
    Got to agree with Oakchas. "Absent pursuit or emergency circumstance a warrant is required" call of suicidal man, beating wife would probably fit that. You close the door in their face it will get kicked right back open.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Got to agree with Oakchas. "Absent pursuit or emergency circumstance a warrant is required" call of suicidal man, beating wife would probably fit that. You close the door in their face it will get kicked right back open.
    I would love too. I'd have a nice little law suit started the next day. It's their JOB to he sure they have the right address...at minimum...before thwy start kicking in doors and shooting the place up.

No "Oops, we're sorry" is going to cut it. Call my attorney and file suit the next am. No matter to me. Nothing but time.

JBT's need to get their info correct. They'd be paying for more than the door. Kick my door in and more than a few of us not going home that night. Either way...suits me just fine. Gotta go sometime.

VIP Member
    I would love too. I'd have a nice little law suit started the next day. It's their JOB to he sure they have the right address...at minimum...before they start kicking in doors and shooting the place up.

No "Oops, we're sorry" is going to cut it. Call my attorney and file suit the next am. No matter to me. Nothing but time.

JBT's need to get their info correct. They'd be paying for more than the door. Kick my door in and more than a few of us not going home that night. Either way...suits me just fine. Gotta go sometime.
    That sounds like you're saying that even after you KNOW they are the Police, if they kick in your door, you would start shooting? Is that what you're saying? I hope I misunderstood.
    rolyat63 likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I would love too. I'd have a nice little law suit started the next day. It's their JOB to he sure they have the right address...at minimum...before thwy start kicking in doors and shooting the place up.

Call your attorney who is going to tell you to call your homeowners insurance carrier.
    Unless you can show that they were actually given the correct location and went to your place instead you are going to have a tough time finding a lawyer who will give you more than five minutes on that one. All you have to prove is that with the information the officers had at they time they arrived at your door a reasonable person would have known they were at the wrong location.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    That sounds like you're saying that even after you KNOW they are the Police, if they kick in your door, you would start shooting? Is that what you're saying? I hope I misunderstood.
    I would also like to know the answer to these questions...

Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post

Sir this is one of the most irresponsible posts I have ever read. I think you should check yourself right now, before you do something stupid.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Seems like some PDs have the same problem finding correct addresses as the USPS does.

Sounds like some caller, fed up with the racket, called in and said, "I think it's Apt. XXX." and the cops went there, which was yours.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

As far as the "fake police" go... I think as long as I saw police cars outside, I'd be convinced. I think it would be pretty rare for a crook to not only dress up as a police officer, but have other "officers" with him and legit-looking police cars.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

All of us are at a distinct disadvantage in an apartment/condo.
    I maintain that the single best investment for home security is a fence.
    Not because the fence keeps out anyone, but because the fence is a boundry.
    Even with the wrong address the police can't go through the fence without a warrant (arrest or search warrants), unless they have strong (and the courts do mean strong)
    evidence of on-going crime or violence.
    Very few LEO's will scale a fence on a domestic call.

As to BG's, the fence is extremely helpful for whether you need to deploy force or not.
    Outside the fence, leave them alone.
    Inside the fence, they are there to do violence to you or your family.
    (And sure we can play around with that....drunken brother-in-law scales fence, etc, etc....but that why we have that thing called judgement)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links