Situation That happened to me on New Years

This is a discussion on Situation That happened to me on New Years within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, I have been absent from the forum for quite some time mainly because my computer died and I have yet to get another ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Situation That happened to me on New Years

Hey guys, I have been absent from the forum for quite some time mainly because my computer died and I have yet to get another one. But, This situation and another that happened today have prompted me to find another computer and see what you think and hopefully get back to being more active.

January 1st, 2012. It was a normal Sunday night in my apartment complex. My wife and I finished putting the baby to bed and cleaning up and were just getting ready to get undressed and in bed. At about 9;15 I hear a loud banging on the door. My through was "No one bangs like that at 9pm unless they are mad or are the police"
    I look out the peep and see nothing which makes me think its the police. I then hear "Austin Police you need to open up!"
    My dogs were going crazy so I cracked the door and looked out to see 3 officers with their guns out in the low ready. The Superior officer told me that they had received a call that I was suicidal, had a gun, and was beating my wife and I needed to come out. I said that that was crazy but they said they were obligated to be sure. I then told them I would come out but needed to inform them that I was a conceal carry permit holder and had my pistol on my hip. She said that was fine I just better have my hands up. I stuck my hands out the door and walked out.
    By this time my wife had the dogs in the bedroom and as I opened the door I told her "baby, please make sure the dogs stay in there".
    I walked out and while one of them kept his gun ready, the other patted me down while another disarmed me and held my hands. She asked if she could see my wallet and I gave permission. They sat me on the ground and I asked "now, WHAT is going on!?!" They were like "you tell us, why are we here?"
    I racked my mind trying to think if maybe I had accidentally done something. Did I clean a gun with the blinds open? No, I am far to careful for that. Did I 'brandish' while getting out of the car? No, Again, that doesn't happen to me... So I responded, "I have NO CLUE"
    About that time she found my ID and said "Your Not Aaron Boster! You said you were Aaron!" I said, "No, I never said I was Aaron, I never said anything, you just hauled me out here and told me I was beating my wife.
    They worked a few things out and figured out that I was not who they were looking for. They were both pissed and embarrassed at the mistake. They Put my pistol inside and apologized. 10 minutes later I hear them banging on the neighbors door and thats when it went down for real. They found the real Aaron hiding in the bathroom and arrested him. We always hear some mean sounding ruckus from that apartment.

I don't know what to think, Part of me says I should never had opened the door. And I know there are those that will say that thats the only right thing to do. On the other hand I knew I hadn't done anything wrong and It was over in 5 minutes.
    What do you guys think? My favorite part was the captain saying "When you said you had a gun I thought 'this is him' but then you turned and kindly called your wife 'baby' and I thought...thats not right..."

I would have done the same. However, the reality is for you to MOVE.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

you answered the questions and they left.... done. don't answer the door and it could have got ulgy

VIP Member
    Like barstoolguru, I wouldn't recommend ignoring the police when they tell you to open up.
    If you have questions as to whether it's REALLY the police or not, call the police (911 or non emergency #) and ask whether they are relly cops banging on your door.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; January 9th, 2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: more
    Erick46590 likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

We are building a house, We are moving.
    atctimmy and mr.stuart like this.

I would say ya did the right thing, I'd get the hell outta there as soon as I were able to
    Erick46590 likes this.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Like barstoolguru, I wouldn't recommend ignoring the police when they tell you to open up.
    If you have questions as to whether it's REALLY the police or not, call the police (911 or non emergency #) and ask whether they are relly cops banging on your door.

^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You, "hello, police department? I have some folks beating down my door saying they are police officers, My name is fill in the __________________,"

Police station: " Oh your not, they fill in the _____________"?, Here's where you hear the Police station say to the responding officers, "You're at the wrong adress"

Knuckleheads.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    So. What happened today?

VIP Member
    Glad your still alive, it looks like they got the wrong apartment. Innocent people get shot at times when this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You, "hello, police department? I have some folks beating down my door saying they are police officers, My name is fill in the __________________,"

Police station: " Oh your not, they fill in the _____________"?, Here's where you hear the Police station say to the responding officers, "You're at the wrong adress"

Knuckleheads.
    What he said...
    Erick46590 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad it all worked out for the best. Should have invited them in to speak with the wife.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Man, ain't it always something screwing up your evening. You handled it well.
    SCGunLover1

Sounds like you did all you could do, under the circumstances... and went OK , given the situation. It was good you advised them quickly you were armed and had a cc license.

Do you have new neighbors now ? Or, the same one ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member
    Kinda like the old KGB joke, Ivan Ivanovich lives next door.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Hard not to open the door, chances are they would kick it open, then you woulld be up fixing the door. Glad everything worked out, those are the kind of things that can give you the brown pants syndrome. It may have been an inconvience but you have a great story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links