Lesson Learned

This is a discussion on Lesson Learned within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I recently got out of town for a little R&R and spent the night at at a beach front hotel. On the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Lesson Learned

Lesson Learned

My wife and I recently got out of town for a little R&R and spent the night at at a beach front hotel. On the last morning We had walked a few blocks to eat breakfast, then strolled down the beach. It was cold, I was wearing a large coat and I had placed my holstered XD9 in my coat pocket. Upon returning to our room to pack and check out I placed my weapon on the bedside table. After we finished packing we decided to sit on the balcony overlooking the beach for a few minutes as checkout time was approaching. While we were on the balcony my wife says "What is that" and gets up to walk into the room. I had not heard anything.

It turns out that the maid had cracked open the door to clean the room but upon seeing us closed the door without coming in. I really do not think there was any bad intentions on her part.

However, I quickly realized that anyone coming through the door was MUCH closer to my weapon than I was. Not a good feeling. A mistake I will try not to make again.

As I said in the title. Lesson learned.

Be careful out there. Things happen quickly.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for sharing.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Always nice when we can learn a lesson and it doesn't hurt
    JerryMac and RemMod597 like this.

Thanls for that, should be a reminder to us all....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Administrator
    I learned that lesson a hard way while I was 17 with mosquito wings and in the Army.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Need to carry it, on nightstand when your in bed right next to it. It's ok as long as you learned better for next time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Always on the body, or within an arm's reach...especially in a motel.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Almost makes you wish there were some sort of device that could keep someone from opening your hotel room door while you're inside.
    paullie and tcox4freedom like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "It turns out that the maid had cracked open the door to clean the room but upon seeing us closed the door without coming in."

That's a common practice. You probably didn't hear her say, "Cleaning service," before she opened the door. One should always secure the door when inside; could have been very embarrassing also.
    ep1953 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Actually, I felt a little embarrassed just the way it happened.

Hey shooter380, thanks for sharing, hope you didn't mind me poking a little fun. We all learn from stuff like this (including by reading about it when people are brave enough to share).

I always survey where my firearm is in relation to the door. I'll put it past me, away from the door, so that if I need to I can retreat some, and get it in the EXTREMELY few times, it's not right with me. I try to NEVER place it closer to the door or entrance than I am. Of course the BGs don't always come in the front door.

Be aware that a LOT of people in resort towns end up with door keys. The staff can fill in the 'catburglar' types with who has the most loot in some instances where there is a crooked desk clerk or bellboy. I also always try to put something over the firearm when I'm doing something (such as showering) so it's not in "plain sight". Even a towel or newspaper is often sufficient.

Glad it worked out as a 'LL' for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Hey shooter380, thanks for sharing, hope you didn't mind me poking a little fun. We all learn from stuff like this (including by reading about it when people are brave enough to share).
    Didn't mind any at all. I expected some. I should get a little poking for that lapse in judgment.
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Hey, lesson learned here, too. Thanks for the lesson.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

As OldVet said, always deadbolt your door when in the room.

I travel for work and spend about 150 nights a year in hotels. You would be (or maybe not) surprised that I hear someone trying to open the door without making an announcement first several times per year. One time in Austin last year I was very tired when I got to the hotel and forgot to deadbolt the door. Someone actually opened it and by the time I got out of bed and got to the door, who ever it was had already hightailed it to the stairs and on the way down. That little incident reinforced my habit with the deadbolt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links