Tonights Incident FNP9

This is a discussion on Tonights Incident FNP9 within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey fellow gunners this is my first post and I need some feedback. The story line goes like this, I was sitting in my living ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Tonights Incident FNP9

Tonights Incident FNP9

Hey fellow gunners this is my first post and I need some feedback. The story line goes like this, I was sitting in my living room with my brother and sister ages 11&13 when there was a loud crack noise followed by glass smashing in the far end of the house where the garage is. First reaction was my brother and sister ran upstairs to my parents master bedroom and locked the door behind them ready to dial 911 if needed. I instinctively ran to my lock box and grabbed my FNP9 seeing that the previous week my dad's truck was broken into. Parents were out at this time of the night and i was babysitting, turned out the left the garage door open and somehow one of the wooden storage shelves collapsed that was holding my mothers flower pots. Explained this to some of my friends and parents, everyone seemed to tell me i had no business automatically turning to my firearm. I was told i should have looked first before jumping to a conclusion about an intruder. I would rather be prepared than become victim.

So what do y'all think? Did i jump the gun too quick or was I correct in being prepared for the worst?

2. Remove Ads

I would have grabbed the gun and called 911,best offense is a good defense,let the Cops find out what crashed,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nothing wrong with taking a look while holding a gun.
    JDE101, genauwiedu, jag06 and 4 others like this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

You did just fine!

ret
    ChrisHall22 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee. It is better to be prepared for the worst possibility than to stumble into a situation that requires you to say later; If only... ~ Purposeful Preparation Prevents Pitifully Poor Performance
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    So, your folks would prefer that you come face to face with an armed perp while you are unarmed than to obtain the tools you may need in the circumstances? I think you need to help them think this through. I do agree, however, that you should have taken up an armed defensive position and called the cops as this would have provided better protection for the kiddos. Also, clearing a house by yourself is fraught with danger.
    ChrisHall22 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

You did fine. Arm yourself and call 911. Better to have it in your hand if needed, than to need it and it be locked safely away in a lock box.
    ChrisHall22 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Welcome, I took the liberty of moving you post to a section of the forum where you'll get better answers to your question.
    ChrisHall22 likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

yes, he did right but.......... he lives in RI, people and LE are a lot liberal about guns, most don't seem to understand why you would need one. I know, I lived the first 32 yrs of my life there.

Owned a good sized auto repair shop, gas station and 24hr towing business, had large sum's of cash on hand daily, went to the AG's and applied for a CHL and was denied(not good enough cause), appealed, denied, lawyered up and was issued one within a week, restricted- work purposes only......huh? I was always working, 24-7 sadly.

Sold it all, moved to NC and have carried a gun legally for the last 9 years without having to justify it once.
    Last edited by ncsteveh; January 18th, 2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: spelling
    jag06, tkruf and ChrisHall22 like this.

VIP Member
    You're on a gun forum asking whether you should have got your gun?

I think you did fine.

It sounds like someone has coached your younger siblings.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I agree with ksholder, take up an armed defensive position to protect you and the kids. Remember Gibbs (as in NCIS) rule.. Take care of the women and children first. However, if you must look then be armed and ready. Welcome from NC
    ChrisHall22 likes this.
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Arming yourself as you did will no doubt be supported 100% on this forum as well it should be. Welcome aboard.
    ChrisHall22 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I only see one problem with this situation...that you even had to go get the gun out of your lock box! Carry that sucker whenever you can, even at home! Welcome to the forum, and yes you did fine.
    suntzu, ChrisHall22 and raytracer like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHall22 View Post
    Hey fellow gunners this is my first post and I need some feedback. The story line goes like this, I was sitting in my living room with my brother and sister ages 11&13 when there was a loud crack noise followed by glass smashing in the far end of the house where the garage is. First reaction was my brother and sister ran upstairs to my parents master bedroom and locked the door behind them ready to dial 911 if needed. I instinctively ran to my lock box and grabbed my FNP9 seeing that the previous week my dad's truck was broken into. Parents were out at this time of the night and i was babysitting, turned out the left the garage door open and somehow one of the wooden storage shelves collapsed that was holding my mothers flower pots. Explained this to some of my friends and parents, everyone seemed to tell me i had no business automatically turning to my firearm. I was told i should have looked first before jumping to a conclusion about an intruder. I would rather be prepared than become victim.

So what do y'all think? Did i jump the gun too quick or was I correct in being prepared for the worst?
    The only thing I would have done differently would be to have refrained from the discussion with the Monday morning quarterbacks.
    ChrisHall22 and Ishmael like this.

Chris,
    Your reaction was fine. Had it been a home invasion your relatives reluctance to go to a firearm could result in loss of life or worse. Do not discuss firearms defense with sheep, imho it is a lost cause in most cases. Read up on the subject and arm yourself with knowledge. Take some courses, learn the law in your state. In these times families need to prepare to face off with predators anytime, anywhere they go. A firearm is only one tool in your defense. Your mindset is the weapon. Just becoming a hard target will repel some who are sizing up their prey.Stay safe...

http://www.wreg.com/wreg-cobbins,0,3579521.story
    Some things are worse than dying. I think this is the case where the perps also raped the man, cut off his penis in front of his girlfriend. Before she was also tortured, raped and murdered. Evil people are out there...
    Last edited by 1911srule; January 18th, 2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: link added
    ChrisHall22 likes this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links