Window Security Film

Window Security Film

This is a discussion on Window Security Film within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My daughter just had a break in at her home. They came thru a window. I did some research on security film. What Im wondering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Window Security Film

Window Security Film

My daughter just had a break in at her home. They came thru a window. I did some research on security film. What Im wondering is, has anyone used it, and is it worth the time and bother....Thanks..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

At home or away? Worth what exactly? Property or life? Before anyone spends money on protection, they need to determine what's going to be protected IMO. A house may be castle, but it's seldom invincible to defeat. Marketing tactics and products prey upon weaknesses like the darkness strikes fear in man. "Film" sounds kinda flimsy to me....money spent better elsewhere in my opinion. Even the top of the line alarm/monitoring system won't save you or your stuff. What makes you think a window film will make a difference? Why break a window when you could pull it out of the frame? Don't feed the rats.

I'd pass on the film, and get a good dog! You can call him "Film" if you want.
    pfries, Justified, JL and 2 others like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It's been many years since I worked with security film, but a couple of things to keep in mind. First off, it's not going to stop someone who is determined to gain access. It is stronger than you would think but some one with a tool such as a pipe or crow bar will still be able to "tear" threw it. Imagine clear box tape on a sheet of glass, you can break the glass but the tape will hold the pieces together to a point. Security films work in much the same way but are stronger.

Second, to work at all, the film must be applied all the way to the edge of the GLASS, not just to the frame.

Polycarbonate glazing is a much safer, but also much more expensive option.

Good luck!

Get a dog & buy your daughter a GLOCK IMO.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

I believe Bark'n has the film and recommends it... 3M brand... and it is pretty impressive stuff. And, not inexpensive... There are door jamb protectors as well, like StrikemasterII, that I've heard are very reliable... I also believe Bark'n has installed those too.

A good dog is an asset to be sure, but may not be allowed in rental property, if she is renting. There are inexpensive alarms that can be added to doors and windows with double stick tape to make for an early warning system. Giving her time to access the Glock or other firearm.. and call 911.

Here's a link to the window film... videos along the right side of the page...

Link
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

SGB... So, he couldn't break through the door with a toothpick... wow... that's impressive... That was the worst video of the protection this film offers I have ever seen.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    That guy swings like a nancy pants...

Thanks for the responses..I think I will pass on the security film and look into other things....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Thanks for the responses..I think I will pass on the security film and look into other things....
    Why? and What other things..?

There's nothing wrong with a layered defense... Anything that will buy time is a good thing, unless your daughter will carry all the time when at home...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Why? and What other things..?

There's nothing wrong with a layered defense... Anything that will buy time is a good thing, unless your daughter will carry all the time when at home...
    Her and the kids walked in on the BGs. I think a weapon of sorts would be more important at this point. I thought I would ask if anyone has used the security film and see what there thoughts were. She wanted to put bars up, but that can be a fire hazard.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    SGB... So, he couldn't break through the door with a toothpick... wow... that's impressive... That was the worst video of the protection this film offers I have ever seen.
    It's not like I made the video, I simply posted it. Further I gave no opinion one way or other as to the effectiveness of the film.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    It's not like I made the video, I simply posted it. Further I gave no opinion one way or other as to the effectiveness of the film.
    Somebody needs a hug

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    That guy swings like a nancy pants...
    Agreed. But, you'd be surprised at how much that can hurt- especially with such a small, un-padded tool. Think about the shock you would be feeling in your hand using something like that tiny pry bar. It would definitely had been more effective if he'd been using the sharp/pointy side of it.

But, a good claw hammer, or ball-peen hammer would make all the difference in the world. Especially with someone swinging like they meant it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links