Road Rage Scenario thoughts - Page 3

Road Rage Scenario thoughts

This is a discussion on Road Rage Scenario thoughts within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun only cleared glove box and held at low ready after his car struck ours and attempted to force us off the road. No one ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Road Rage Scenario thoughts

Gun only cleared glove box and held at low ready after his car struck ours and attempted to force us off the road. No one saw the weapon, not even the road rager. I don't generally think it is wise to display a weapon as a show of force to deescalate anything. That put's the response into the bad guys hands. Either you are justified in using deadly force or not. I say that realizing there are situations in which the mere display of a weapon diffused the situation. Relying on that with someone that has already used deadly force against you is not a good plan in my opinion. I think it gives away any advantage of surprise that you may have.
    Bark'n likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Gun only cleared glove box and held at low ready after his car struck ours and attempted to force us off the road. No one saw the weapon, not even the road rager. I don't generally think it is wise to display a weapon as a show of force to deescalate anything. That put's the response into the bad guys hands. Either you are justified in using deadly force or not. I say that realizing there are situations in which the mere display of a weapon diffused the situation. Relying on that with someone that has already used deadly force against you is not a good plan in my opinion. I think it gives away any advantage of surprise that you may have.
    So, your original hypothetical situation is now an actual experience you and your wife went through?

Absolutely true. Many years ago. Just thought I'd get a few thoughts from my fellow forumites before letting you off the hook.
    Bark'n likes this.

VIP Member
    Absolutely true. Many years ago. Just thought I'd get a few thoughts from my fellow forumites before letting you off the hook.
    There is no hook. I stand by my original response.

Quote Originally Posted by cuckoo429 View Post
    First, I don't care how clear the shot was, or how great of a shooter I am, I would NEVER shoot from a moving vehicle into another vehicle (unless I was in immediate danger of dying). I would pull over (while calling 911 with a complete description and license #), see if the maggot had the ballz to pull over with me. If the attack escalated, then I would take the necessary steps (ask them, tell them, take action all while my Glock is pointed at their center mass).
    This would be my most likely course of action as well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

That is kind of in bad form. If it was true, just say it is true. Why the mind game?

To all - Sorry about the bad form. Initially just wanted to get the idea out there without being too specific. I was trying to get some feedback on it without all of the "Oh My God this awful thing just happened to my wife and I" hysterics. Initially I wanted to keep it vague because of some second guessing I had with the situation. Sorry for misleading anyone. Mind games were not behind any of this.

Thanks again for the input. Many valid points were made. Hopefully someone else can learn from the wisdom that was shared here.

Always try to avoid the fight. If you have to fight then get the first shot off. Then after you dropped the "Bad guy", you can spend $50k on a lawyer. So now come his relatives looking for payback, you worrying about jail, and you out $50k. On the other hand you could have muttered "What a f*cking idiot" and drove away.

Or your gun could have jammed and the bad guy could have shot you. So, you wound up in a wheel chair, with your wife changing your bed pan. On the other hand you could have muttered "What a f*cking idiot" and drove away.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    To all - Sorry about the bad form. Initially just wanted to get the idea out there without being too specific. I was trying to get some feedback on it without all of the "Oh My God this awful thing just happened to my wife and I" hysterics. Initially I wanted to keep it vague because of some second guessing I had with the situation. Sorry for misleading anyone. Mind games were not behind any of this.

Thanks again for the input. Many valid points were made. Hopefully someone else can learn from the wisdom that was shared here.
    No bad form from my vantage.

To the offended ones. Would it make a difference in your response? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Always try to avoid the fight. If you have to fight then get the first shot off. Then after you dropped the "Bad guy", you can spend $50k on a lawyer. So now come his relatives looking for payback, you worrying about jail, and you out $50k. On the other hand you could have muttered "What a f*cking idiot" and drove away.

Or your gun could have jammed and the bad guy could have shot you. So, you wound up in a wheel chair, with your wife changing your bed pan. On the other hand you could have muttered "What a f*cking idiot" and drove away.
    Good points. In my case I felt the fight started when the guy used his car to try to force us off the road. There was a lot of weighing of options in my case at that point. My wife deserves a hell of a lot of credit, keeping a level head and skillfully driving. My thought process ran the gamut from shooting the guy and the possible consequences for my family and any other innocent bystanders to the legal ramifications of doing so.

Morally, I felt I was in the right had I chose to defend myself and my family. I also felt that I would be even more morally wrong if I contributed to an accident in which an innocent person was hurt or killed. I guess what I am saying is my first instinct wasn't necessarily the correct one. My wife's level headed actions bought me the time to process and make what turned out to be the correct decision. My wife dropped the ball bigtime when she gave chase.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links