Road Rage Scenario thoughts

This is a discussion on Road Rage Scenario thoughts within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You are passenger in a full size pick up truck with your spouse on a major highway when an idiot in another vehicle brake checks ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Road Rage Scenario thoughts

You are passenger in a full size pick up truck with your spouse on a major highway when an idiot in another vehicle brake checks you for no reason. Said idiot then proceeds to pull alongside and make contact with your vehicle and tries to force it, and you off the road into either the median that is divided with I-beams and steel cable or possibly oncoming traffic. Wife is keeping the vehicle under control and the aggressors car is much smaller and lighter than yours so he is making little headway, You are armed and have a clear shot although there is considerable traffic. You can leasily make a shot without your bullet endangering other drivers but that leaves a pilotless vehicle to contend with.

What do you do? Thoughts. Different responses depending on what state you are in? I.E. gun friendly to absolutely not gun friendly.

First thing I'd do is get the registration number of the vehicle and a description of the occupants and call 911. Then I'd remove myself from the event by pulling over and stopping. If the attack continued at that point, and I had a shot, I'd take it. Even a small car makes a heck of a weapon, and will kill you just as fast as a gun.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

First, I don't care how clear the shot was, or how great of a shooter I am, I would NEVER shoot from a moving vehicle into another vehicle (unless I was in immediate danger of dying). I would pull over (while calling 911 with a complete description and license #), see if the maggot had the ballz to pull over with me. If the attack escalated, then I would take the necessary steps (ask them, tell them, take action all while my Glock is pointed at their center mass).
    l1a1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    You are passenger in a full size pick up truck with your spouse on a major highway when an idiot in another vehicle brake checks you for no reason. Said idiot then proceeds to pull alongside and make contact with your vehicle and tries to force it, and you off the road into either the median that is divided with I-beams and steel cable or possibly oncoming traffic. Wife is keeping the vehicle under control and the aggressors car is much smaller and lighter than yours so he is making little headway, You are armed and have a clear shot although there is considerable traffic. You can leasily make a shot without your bullet endangering other drivers but that leaves a pilotless vehicle to contend with.

What do you do? Thoughts. Different responses depending on what state you are in? I.E. gun friendly to absolutely not gun friendly.
    Slow down, pull over. DO NOT PULL GUN...DO NOT SHOOT. Say you shoot and you hit your target--now you have a 3000 lbs uncontrolled vehicle ambling down the highway, and put everyone at risk. The only thing you can control is YOUR vehicle...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Slow down, call 911, avoid anymore confrontation as much as possible, be ready and tell wife to quit screaming.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Slow down, pull over, stop and call 911 with a license number and description of the vehicle.

Seems like pulling over and dialing 911 is best response yet. !!! That would be the sensible thing to do, cause if they are that ignorant, your better off letting the LEO do the shooting if necessary, unless he pulls over with you and gets aggresive...
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    and tell wife to quit screaming.
    Lol
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Slow down, pull over, stop and call 911 with a license number and description of the vehicle.
    +1 well done

You said major highway so youll probably be traveling around 55 mph. If you take a shot at that speed, not only have you never trained for that (im just safely assuming) but if you hit your target there is a good chance you'll get in a nice amount of trouble. Pull over and if this said AH joins you, use whatever force necessary according to the situation.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    My wife had someone try to force her off the road back in the 80's. (This was way out west & before cell phones.)

I was asleep in the "reclined" ps. After a couple miles my wife realized this guy was really trying to force her off the road and not just jacking around. I woke up just in time to see her show the BG she was gonna fight if she were stopped.

He slammed on his breaks, started backing up on the freeway and crossed median hauling butt in the opposite direction. (We notified other people on the road via CB radio and when we got to a sfae place we notified authorities.)

IMHO; stopping would be the wrong thing to do in most circumstances. "IF" you can still drive to safety do so! (Why would you do what the person trying to get you to stop wants you to do?)

I agree that shooting from a moving vehicle "AT" a moving vehicle is a very bad idea! But, I know 1st hand that "sometimes" just letting a BG know you're armed & ready to FIGHT will de-escalate things in a hurry!

-

Stop, stop, stop. Pull over and be prepared to dismount your vehicle and engage from behind the cover of your vehicle.

If you pull over, and he continues on, problem solved. If you pull over and he stops and exits his vehicle, you can either try and evade him in your vehicle by trying to drive around him or reversing out of there. If you have to engage him, I would prefer to do it from outside my vehicle.

It's a very fluid and dynamic situation. Some situations you may be better staying inside your vehicle. Other situations you're much better outside your vehicle. It just depends on how things unfold. Understanding different tactics and being able to think tactically allows you options for the best way to solve the problem.

Always try to evade inside your vehicle if at all possible, but sometimes it isn't going to be possible.

You have to decide if you want to engage from inside the limited confines of your vehicle (bullet trap), or engage from outside where you have the room to fire and maneuver, seek out cover and increase your options.

Always call 911 at your earliest opportunity. But don't be caught trying to talk on the phone when you should be defending yourself or maneuvering.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    My wife had someone try to force her off the road back in the 80's. (This was way out west & before cell phones.)

I was asleep in the "reclined" ps. After a couple miles my wife realized this guy was really trying to force her off the road and not just jacking around. I woke up just in time to see her show the BG she was gonna fight if she were stopped.

He slammed on his breaks, started backing up on the freeway and crossed median hauling butt in the opposite direction. (We notified other people on the road via CB radio and when we got to a sfae place we notified authorities.)

IMHO; stopping would be the wrong thing to do in most circumstances. "IF" you can still drive to safety do so! (Why would you do what the person trying to get you to stop wants you to do?)

I agree that shooting from a moving vehicle "AT" a moving vehicle is a very bad idea! But, I know 1st hand that "sometimes" just letting a BG know you're armed & ready to FIGHT will de-escalate things in a hurry!

-
    A friend of mine was arrested, charged and convicted in Muskingum County, Ohio after showing his rappie in a road rage incident that he was armed and ready to fight at 70 mph several years ago.

Get plate info, call 911, and do everything possible to avoid further contact.
    You might also use your phone camera to record any additional events for use later.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; January 21st, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Shoot on the fly, thou shall not do. If they make contact with your vehicle you are impelled to not flee the scene. Obtain description and plate data, call 911 and pull over. Maintain space between your vehicle and theirs, with their vehicle in front. If he approaches the vehicle tell him to stop, and wait until the officer arrives; reverse if you must. If he points weapon at you or otherwise acts in a way that justifies the use of deadly force; stop the threat with what you have available. All this time you should keep an open line with 911 so they can record the events.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links