Blood a deterrent?

Blood a deterrent?

This is a discussion on Blood a deterrent? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This happened to me on Christmas Eve as I was returning from my daughters home. My truck was in the shop and I was driving ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Blood a deterrent?

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar

Blood a deterrent?

This happened to me on Christmas Eve as I was returning from my daughters home. My truck was in the shop and I was driving a rental. It was late at night and I leaned over and opened the glove box and reached in to get a pack of crackers I had placed in there earlier. As my hand went in I felt a sharp sting on top of my hand. I pulled my hand back and sure enough I had cut myself on something.

I take meds which cause me to bleed heavily when I am cut. A flu shot makes blood stream down my arm. Now here I am speeding down the highway with blood all over my hand, jacket, pants, car seat and no rags or anything to catch it. I see a rest stop ahead and pull in. It is almost 11:30 pm and the lot is practically empty except for one very old beaten up van parked near the front. I pull in several car lengths away from it and jump out of the car and head into the building. There are glass doors into a sort of lobby with the men's room off to the left. I turn left, then right and there I am standing in the middle of a small cubicle with four other people. They are in front of me and in a half moon formation. They are not doing any business, just standing around and now they are all looking at me. Every alarm in my body was going off. I believe with all my heart I had walked into a trap. I moved quickly to my left to get away from the door and put a wall behind my back.

I was carrying a S&W 66 in OWB underneath my jacket and a S&W 642 in my weak hand front pocket. No one had to tell me I was in dire straits, armed or not. Too many of them and no room to maneuver. The silence and tension in that small room was indescribable. I'm standing there with blood dripping off my hand onto the tile floor and for some reason that appeared to unnerve them. I noticed them looking down at my hand then back up at me. I was bleeding bad and had blood all over my clothes. Then they just walked out. I said hell with the sink and cleaning up, and grabbed a handful of toilet paper and eased out the door into the lobby. It was still deserted. I walked out the big glass door and stood under the light and saw the van still parked straight ahead with two heads visible inside. Enough! I whipped out the ole cell and dialed the Highway Patrol to report suspicious activity. Soon as I started dialing, the old van fired up and backed out of the lot. I gave the dispatcher my name and location and she asked was it an emergency and I said no, just a group acting suspicious and I wanted to report it. She thanked me and said she would pass it on. I really believe they had a trap set, possibly for a trucker maybe, and I just happened to be the first that walked in and for some reason they didn't like the odds, possibly because I was bleeding, and went outside to wait for me to leave.

I ended up having to get three stitches when I got home and everytime I look at that little V shaped scar I think it probably saved my butt in a big way that night. I didn't post this right away because I was waiting to see if my testimony may be needed. Almost a month now and no further word so here is my story. Anywhere, anytime. Be alert always in rest stops, especially at night!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    Your appearance disrupted their thinking. They just weren't expecting that sight and didn't know what to make of it. Maybe one of them had the thought that you were stabbed and wanted to get before they got blamed.

Sounds like you lucked out after all.

Sorry about whatever medical problem you have. Those blood thinners can really do it to you.
    Guest1 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Nobody wants to deal with bodily fluids. The optometrist I used to work for had delivery lock boxes on their back doors that were marked with the biohazard symbols. Not a single person has messed with them, and this place was next to the area's low income apartment complex (aka, the bad part of town).

DC
    "everytime I look at that little V shaped scar I think it probably saved my butt in a big way that night."

But if you hadn't cut yourself you would have never pulled into that rest stop. Still, we must always be on alert.
    Inspector71 likes this.

Administrator
    You should start packing some QuickClot with you.

You might find yourself in some future scenario where you are more seriously injured and could lose a lot of blood.

VIP Member
    Maybe they were foreigners and didn't speak English, or quite knew what the protocol was for a stranger bleeding profusely

Or maybe you walked in on a dirty deal going on/in the makings and they vamooshed when you spooked them, like you said.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

DC
    I'm a bleeder too so I appreciate the QuickClot tip. I work with sheet metal and have cut myself too many times to count where stitches would have been recommended. I have before ruined shirts with blood and at that point, the shirt comes off and is used to apply pressure/soak up the blood.

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    "everytime I look at that little V shaped scar I think it probably saved my butt in a big way that night."

But if you hadn't cut yourself you would have never pulled into that rest stop. Still, we must always be on alert.
    You're right DC. If I hadn't been bleeding I would have blown right past that place! I hadn't thought of that angle. Maybe because I did stop when I did I saved someone else from some grief later. Will never know about that though.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You should start packing some QuickClot with you.

You might find yourself in some future scenario where you are more seriously injured and could lose a lot of blood.
    The granular QuickClot was replaced by QuickClot combat gauze. It's more tactical (probably doesn't matter as it pertains to this thread), but it doesn't burn surrounding areas.

Just something to think about.
    Inspector71 likes this.

Thanks to all for recommending QuickClot. This is a great forum to learn new things.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Half the time I go into rest stop bath rooms there's one or three suspicious looking people about. Either I'm scarier than most in appearance or it just comes with the territory. Still, you never know.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Well they probably didn't want to be the next victim of the serial killer that just walked into the deserted rest stop to clean up after his last kill

If you bleed that easily you might want to check and see how well the grips on your gun are when you hands are wet/bloody
    Inspector71 and tundra like this.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Maybe you just had the "warrior"...look
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by jamierah View Post
    Well they probably didn't want to be the next victim of the serial killer that just walked into the deserted rest stop to clean up after his last kill

If you bleed that easily you might want to check and see how well the grips on your gun are when you hands are wet/bloody
    LOL, I hadn't thought of that! My daughter in law said the fact that I look like Lee Van Cleef probably didn't hurt my chances of running them out of there either. Bless her heart! Must not have been my day, and shame on me for scaring the squat out of some good ole boys just lounging around the toilet on Christmas eve too

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It sounds like maybe your protime was off. Do you get it checked regularly? If not, I'd say it's time. Glad you're safe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links