Summer Colorado trip, what gun?

This is a discussion on Summer Colorado trip, what gun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Colorado accepts Iowa so I'm bring two guns. It's also tax time so I need another gun. The only long guns I have are .22's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Summer Colorado trip, what gun?

Summer Colorado trip, what gun?

Colorado accepts Iowa so I'm bring two guns. It's also tax time so I need another gun. The only long guns I have are .22's and an 870. My two pistols are a G22 and G33.

I've wanted an AK-47 for a long time for HD and target practice. Our trip to Colorado might consist of going into bear country. Would my G22 and G33 be ok to bring? Or should I get a G20 instead of an AK-47?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Any or all would be good. I carry a HK USP45 everywhere outdoors here in CO, hunting or not, and feel confident against the wildlife. You might be surprised on the number of people enjoying our wilderness while open carrying (just don't open carry in Denver). Have fun in CO.

So I should be good with my .40 and 357 SIG? I would love another Glock but an AK-47 would be nice to add to the collection.

You want an AK, buy an AK. Certainly don't buy a pistol to come out here and take bears on with. 1st, chances of you actually encountering a bear are minimal, 2nd even if you do run into one, chances that the bear will do anything other than turn tail and run are also pretty minimal. I'm not a huge believer in any handgun cartridge when it comes to stopping bears, but I personally won't go into "bona fide" bear country with anything less than a .44magnum and a canister of bear spray (and I tend to put my faith in the spray more so than the gun). So I'd suggest get yourself a can of bear spray, buy the AK you've been wanting, and expect to use it for HD and target practice back home in Iowa.

...and enjoy your vacation in Colorado!
    Last edited by Dadsnugun; January 24th, 2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Iowa and Idaho are two different places
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Yeah, I really don't plan on running into bears, but better safe than sorry. I totally forgot about bear spray, good idea.

Plus one bear spray. Makes the bear poop taste like pepper. (Joke floating around the internet somewhere). I trust .357 around here, but bigger bears I'd trust the above. I am buying the spray before the hiking trips start for us this year.
    When we did a multi-day canoe camping trip in Maine, we bought a .44 Magnum for the trip and ended up buying a Mossberg 500 with a folding stock and 18.5" barrel and leaving the Redhawk home.

The only bears are Black bears. Study up on your woods lore before you come, and you'll be fine. Your behavior is very key, and the likelihood of an encounter is low. Enjoy Colorado. A quite wonderful place.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Rock and Glock is right the chances of a bear encounter is low and even if you do they will most likely run before you can get a picture. I have camped and hike many times over the last thirty years in Colorado encountered bears a few times while hunting. Couple of years ago I had my one encounter with a two legged varmit coming out of my tent. Stay armed stay safe and have fun.

Camping & Hiking in Bear Country

We spend the summer at our mountain home in Colorado. While it is very unlikely you will encounter a black bear just be watchful for mother with cubs. If camping overnight bear-proof your site. We are more concerned about those with two legs.

Police investigating woman's body

21 year old arrested for murder of 87 year old

You would be better off investing in a good GPS if going hiking. We lose a few flat landers every year. Carry the pistols that you have and buy other rifle. Don't open carry in Denver. Enjoy.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    You would be better off investing in a good GPS if going hiking. We lose a few flat landers every year. Carry the pistols that you have and buy other rifle. Don't open carry in Denver. Enjoy.
    ...also, if you do buy the AK don't bring any magazines larger than 20rd capacity through Denver either.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Camping & Hiking in Bear Country

We spend the summer at our mountain home in Colorado. While it is very unlikely you will encounter a black bear just be watchful for mother with cubs. If camping overnight bear-proof your site. We are more concerned about those with two legs.
    You would be better off investing in a good GPS if going hiking.
    Both above are excellent!

Also buy this: Colorado Department of Local Affairs - Search & Rescue Card

The CORSAR Card could save your pocketbook a world of hurt, and is a great investment for back country explorations.
    Elk Hunter and Dadsnugun like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I do have GPS. I'm also a ham radio operator so I'll have my 144/440 ht with me as well. Having reliable communication is also important.

I've been to Colorado several times, never saw any bears so far. My cousin did send me a picture of a black bear that was on their property once. So I dought I'll even see one but as we all know, better to be prepared.

I've only encoutnered black bears in the wild when I went camping in the Boundary Waters of Northern Minnesota. Hard to sleep in your tent when a bear walks through your camp at night.

i think that there are the lot of suggestions from the different people you have found so that its really depend on you that you have to select one of these.i think that ak-47 is best for you.this gun is easily for the use.thanks

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    If your shotgun has a rifled barrel load it with slugs for bear and buckshot for home defense. Shotgun much better for home defense than Ak in my opinion. Not saying don't by the AK, I would love to have an AK or M1 socom.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links