Bedside Gun with Infants, Toddlers and Small Kids

This is a discussion on Bedside Gun with Infants, Toddlers and Small Kids within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lima - I'm back, but only to ask you one direct question, which I hope you will stop side-stepping, and actually answer: Given that it ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bedside Gun with Infants, Toddlers and Small Kids

Lima - I'm back, but only to ask you one direct question, which I hope you will stop side-stepping, and actually answer:

Given that it only takes two seconds to open a GunVault safe, which is as fast (if not faster) than your current practice (open drawer, take out holstered gun, unholster it), which means you are not losing any access speed to your firearm...why would you choose to not use such a safe? What are you gaining?

Thank you.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

Lima - I'm back, but only to ask you one direct question, which I hope you will stop side-stepping, and actually answer:

Given that it only takes two seconds to open a GunVault safe, which is as fast (if not faster) than your current practice (open drawer, take out holstered gun, unholster it), which means you are not losing any access speed to your firearm...why would you choose to not use such a safe? What are you gaining?

Thank you.

Our current practice doesn't include night stands...we haven't had night stands in over a year. Lima is presenting a couple different things which are not current but predate our son's physical abilities. Not exactly sure where wires are getting crossed but while that was practiced in the past, it is not now.

Over the past year we've been sleeping in various rooms and arrangements (isn't remodeling grand?), safes were not an option and my guns were typically C3 at night and still in a holster, safety on or everything was in the safes in other rooms.

In the last few months we've finally gotten our upstairs done and are back in a real bed room and once we have bedside stands, we'll be reevaluating things. Currently weapons are kept safe from kiddo in a variety of ways, all of which suck for us.

Carry on.

Senior Moderator

Thank you.
    Most importantly: For the biometric ones, those things don't read my finger prints. I had the opportunity to play with one we got in the gun store once and all of us employees were programing in our fingerprints to demonstrate the safe for customer. It would never open for me.. didn't even register my fingerprint... for everyone else it did but not for me. I since investigated it and I'm not the only one who's had that happen.

Same thing happened when I had to be "electronically" fingerprinted while I was at MEPS. The reader just would not read my fingerprints.

Secondly, we did another trial run of the fingerpad ones in the dark on a timer and had a good laugh at how, under pressure, unless the combination was stupidly simplistic (and even then sometimes), almost all of us mis dialed the combination to the point where it locked down and we couldn't access the safe at all. Even those who were on the course to the correct combination would sometimes accidentally hit the wrong button and would have to start all over defeating the whole "fast entry" thing.

I kept thinking, Okay, in the dark, just waking up, under stress, I'm supposed to get his combination right the first time?

If a biometric one would work for me I'd probably go that rout, but for some reason they have yet to make electronic readers that can actually register my fingerprints.

I'll agree on the fingerprint reader - I don't trust those to work with wet (blood, sweat) fingers.

As far as the pushbuttons go - a little white duct tape or paint on the keypad, under the buttons, makes them easy to see even in dim light. With practice, you can feel them quite clearly even in pitch black darkness.

I don't know what crazy combinations you were programming, but I've used mine (woken up out of a dead sleep by a false home security system alarm) and had zero issue. My combination has 4 key presses.

Seems you've got it all figured out. Good luck to you.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA - JD, somehow I missed your post.

One of the things I like about the GunVault is that it is portable. I've taken ours on vacation, to secure our carry guns in the hotel room from the kids at night.

With remodeling going on in your home, you could easily move one from room to room, as needed.

Good luck with the work.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; February 7th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

As far as the pushbuttons go - a little white duct tape or paint on the keypad, under the buttons, makes them easy to see even in dim light. With practice, you can feel them quite clearly even in pitch black darkness.
    - You can also use glow in the dark stickers, etc. I have a small tritium vial that is in a sticky button right next to the first button. It makes it really easy to find.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I saw this on the local news last night and thought it would be appropriate to post on this thread. Sometimes it's not the kids that get hurt. They said it was a handgun. I am assuming kept available for home defense.

Leakey woman shot by son dies | News - Home

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Secondly, we did another trial run of the fingerpad ones in the dark on a timer and had a good laugh at how, under pressure, unless the combination was stupidly simplistic (and even then sometimes), almost all of us mis dialed the combination to the point where it locked down and we couldn't access the safe at all. Even those who were on the course to the correct combination would sometimes accidentally hit the wrong button and would have to start all over defeating the whole "fast entry" thing.

I kept thinking, Okay, in the dark, just waking up, under stress, I'm supposed to get his combination right the first time?
    At the end of the day, it all comes down to two things.
    1)Training, training, training. In the gun community training is a huge area of interest. People practice shooting, point shooting, close combat scenarios, drawing from concealed holsters etc.

I never hear anyone talking about is training getting the weapon out of the safe. Just like with anything else firearms related, you can't expect to be proficient the first time you try something. Proficiency and reliability come from hundreds of repetitions. If you open and close your pushbutton safe 1000 times over the course of a month, you'll be able to do it in your sleep.

2)Early warning. The key to surviving a nighttime home-invasion scenario is having enough time to wake up and react to the threat. The more time you buy yourself, the better your odds. IMO this includes measures like alarm systems and fortifying the sleeping areas. The additional second it takes to open a safe is the smallest of time-increments one needs to worry about.

---

In the end it all boils down to adding a minor inconvenience to life in order to ensure safety. Isn't that what CCW is about in the first place? If I need to train myself on how to quickly open a safe then I'll do that if it means my son or his visiting friends are less likely to get to my gun.

Oh and on a technological level, I'd recommend a push button non-electronic safe. That way there is one less point of failure. (Fort Knox: Americas Best Made Gun Safes, Hand Gun Safes, Fireproof Home Safes, and Vault Doors About US Hand Gun Boxes)

If you have your heart set on a fingerprint reader, know that not all fingerprint readers are born equal. I've had tons of trouble with most but the one on my Barska biometric is flawless.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I'd have my Gunvault 2 double pistol safe moved from the closet and cable locked toward to and beside the bed for the meantime. It's an inconvenience having to dial it at night in a home invasion but I feel it's the only way to balance between safety and accessability.

I have 2 young children. Here's my solution.

My wife has a Gun Vault MiniVault Standard (GV 1000S) with a G17 on the floor next to her bed. This is an ok solution. Drawbacks are: it is slightly awkward to get the the gun once the door pops open; is it "in sight" of the kids.

I recently purchased a GunVault SpeedVault (SV 500) for my side of the bed. I mounted it it to the back of the nightstand such that it opens toward me. I like this solution much better and will eventually get her side of the bed set up with the same. Advantages over the MiniVault on the floor: it presents the weapon (in my case a Kahr K9 Elite) in a manner easy to grab; it is out of site of the kids or anyone else and is not in plain site.

Of course, I know....kids are kids and will find anything. But I do prefer that the safe is essentially out of sight unless you do look for it.

I'll try to snap some pics and post them here later.

Here’s my setup in a V-Line “Top Draw”, enough room for pistol, light and extra ammo. The 5 button simplex (no batteries) takes a couple seconds to open; the buttons protrude high enough that I can feel them in complete darkness:

For my Benelli:

I’ve got 3 V-lines all set with the same combination. We once ran an IDPA stage using a combination gun vault versus starting from a holster, and on average the first shot times were a second or two longer and that was with a combination (3 numbers) that no one but the owner was familiar with.

In my mind the vault is an extremely minor inconvenience when compared to the peace of mind they provide. I’d much rather do some additional training than worry about my gun ending up in the wrong hands or coming home to face a previously un-armed burglar that’s now armed himself with one of my loaded HD guns. In the case of my shotgun, the safe is actually quicker than trying to hide it and recover if needed.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Simple-keep the gun unloaded until you need it, keep the mag in a different spot until you go to bed then load it and keep it handy

Teach them about the gun and let them touch it; Take the curiosity out of it. Respect is learned and earned

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I have a Gunvault and it drives me nuts. The batteries die every couple months, and you need 8 AAs to replace them. It has the aggravating tendency to just open. For no reason. No key, no code entered, it just pops open if you look at it sideways.
    Hakkaa päälle!

^^^^

That is odd. I have had the same 8 AA batteries in MiniVault for 6 years. Still opens every time. Never popped open by itself.

...Prolly should replace the batteries just for the heck of it.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tallygreys View Post
    ^^^^

That is odd. I have had the same 8 AA batteries in MiniVault for 6 years. Still opens every time. Never popped open by itself.

My gun now sits on top of the Gunvault. I get sick of buying AA batteries by the case. It will open if the night table it's on gets jarred in any way (including opening the night table drawers), it will open sometimes if you just touch it. The last time I replaced the batteries was less than a month ago.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by tallygreys View Post
    ^^^^

While some people don't have any issues with the electronics, just Google it and you will see it's pretty common.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links