Bedside Gun with Infants, Toddlers and Small Kids - Page 6

Bedside Gun with Infants, Toddlers and Small Kids

This is a discussion on Bedside Gun with Infants, Toddlers and Small Kids within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have installed my XD's factory holster behind my dresser, which doubles up as my night stand and holster my gun behind my dresser every ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bedside Gun with Infants, Toddlers and Small Kids

Ideas

I have installed my XD's factory holster behind my dresser, which doubles up as my night stand and holster my gun behind my dresser every night within an arms reach of me and my 4 year old son doesn't get into it, nor does he know its there.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyAlaskanZJ View Post
    I have installed my XD's factory holster behind my dresser, which doubles up as my night stand and holster my gun behind my dresser every night within an arms reach of me and my 4 year old son doesn't get into it, nor does he know its there.
    ... it may end up being a dangerous assumption that your son will never find it.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyAlaskanZJ View Post
    He's at the age that he is going to be very curious and too young to understand some of the consequences of his decisions. Education is good, especially as he gets older, but there are way too many options avail. for you to protect him to not do so. Don't be one of those people that never thought it could happen to you.

^^^

Agreed. The thought of "that" happening makes me slightly sick to the stomach.

A very important factor to consider... human element of error. For example a drawer type GunVault (love their products, have 3 different ones now) is only safe if it's closed. I used to keep a table top unit on my night stand. That was until after watching our 1 year old reach up and play with the buttons. Needless to say it's now in a night stand drawer with those swivel child lock actuators in a top-access GunVault. My wife and I feel comfortable about it, and I bet I could get to it from bed in 3~4 seconds.

Using the GunVaults I 'tripple-tap' the door when I close them. This visually shows me and physically demonstrates the door is 100% closed. Also, never leave the door open as an in-case option when you are home alone. Forgetting to close it one time can change your live in a very bad way.

A gun on the coffee table, next to the computer, on desk, etc ... is only "safe" if someone is directly watching it, right?. Even if the kids are in bed. Wrong. Thousands of times you might be OK, but forbid, it's the ONE time you are tired and go to bed & forget the gun, only to have your kido find it in the morning. A gun should be either on your person or in a safe. This reduces - though not eliminates - changes of human error.

I'm sad to hear of those who have loaded firearms not in safes that are "hidden" from their children. This is an accident waiting to happen. Children are inquisitive by nature. My firearms will be in safes until my kids move out regardless of age. And by then, they might just stay there.

Lock up the knives and forks, kitchen cleaners, pens, pencils, scissors, and the BEER!

BTW... I have two small kids (2&4) and their abilities and curiosities grow everyday. I realized that I can't keep them safe from everything but I can try to teach them. I grew up in a house that only had a BB gun. But I was taught to treat it as a deadly weapon...and all of the other gun safety rules.

At night my pistols are locked in a stack-on safe in the closet... that uses keys...hope they never find' em. It doesn't make for a fast aquisition. Hopefully the dead bolts and dachshunds will give me few extra seconds if I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I have a Gunvault and it drives me nuts. The batteries die every couple months, and you need 8 AAs to replace them. It has the aggravating tendency to just open. For no reason. No key, no code entered, it just pops open if you look at it sideways.
    Mine did the same thing, I called GV, and after 10 minutes on hold, a rep got on and said they would send me a replacement, and return label to send the "defective one" back. Hoping for better luck with the new one.

When grandkids are staying over I lock up all but my EDC (S&W 642) in the big gun safe. If the 642 isn't in my pocket (shower, etc.) it is locked up in a COM in my top drawer of the dresser, key on chain around my neck. At night, on going to bed I unlock the COM but it stays in the drawer, My doors and windows are all security types and reinforced. I have ATD active at night and Dolly the Wonder Pooch who hates strangers! I have ample warning to get to the gun.

Grandkids leave, the bed rack Mossberg 500A comes back on duty.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links