Bedside Gun with Infants, Toddlers and Small Kids

This is a discussion on Bedside Gun with Infants, Toddlers and Small Kids within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everyone, I'd like to get your thoughts on a solution for keeping a handgun (either M&P 9fs or 9c) within arms reach of where ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bedside Gun with Infants, Toddlers and Small Kids

Hey everyone,

I'd like to get your thoughts on a solution for keeping a handgun (either M&P 9fs or 9c) within arms reach of where I sleep, but in a location that is secure from small children. I have a GunVault under the bed, but it's a clumsy solution as it requires me to get out of bed, crouch down on the floor, find the GunVault (which is bolted to the bed frame upside-down), contort my hand, and manipulate the combination buttons.

Any thoughts? Ideally, the solution should:
    • Be within arm's reach when I'm laying in bed
    • Secure the firearm from access by children
    • Allow reasonably fast access to the firearm
    • Be mounted in a manner that is reasonably deterrant against theft

Thanks!

I have posted these before. I can lie on my back or front and have the gun in hand no problems. I have taught my kids about gun safety. In the morning when the kids come into my room I just reach down and close the door it automatically locks.

I removed the rear panel and drilled 4 holes the same spacing as the holster loops. The holster can not move up or down and if I need a OWB holser it just spin off the nuts. I have since added a mag holster the same way.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    my answer to all your questions was the BHP

but you have different guns already.
    buying a BHP is not a bad thing if your budget can hack it.

keep the magazine seperate from the gun and there is no need to lock up the gun.
    Mattmann likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Add a barky dog as an early warning system and you'll have time to get to the safe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I have posted these before. I can lie on my back or front and have the gun in hand no problems. I have taught my kids about gun safety. In the morning when the kids come into my room I just reach down and close the door it automatically locks.

I removed the rear panel and drilled 4 holes the same spacing as the holster loops. The holster can not move up or down and if I need a OWB holser it just spin off the nuts. I have since added a mag holster the same way.
    Your solution depends on the child's age, it's a little tougher with todlers. Due to human error having your safe open and relying on yourself to remember to shut it every morning seems a bit scary to me. I know I might remember 99% of the time, but that one time I forgot would scare the hell out of me. I use a micro vault on my dresser which allows me quick access. Not a perfect solution, but it works.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Teaching kids gun "respect" when they are very little is paramount - which is easily done by taking them out as soon as they start crawling, let momma hold them while you show them the gun, then turn to lock & load before exploding a milk jug full of water or melon with it. Gunshot and exploding item scares the crap out of them, but that's the objective when they're very young to mix fear and respect to help prevent them wanting to pick one up and play with it. Teaching them gun "safety" comes along when they're old enough to talk and understand what you're saying.

Back when I had rug-rats running amuck, I put it in the gun safe with everything else to secure it from theft if it wasn't going along when the family was going to be gone from the house.

It still wasn't safe to leave it loaded and laying on my bedside nightstand even when I was in bed during the night because we had frequent little visitors during thunderstorms and other "scary" events; however, a gun locked in a safe, trigger locked, or secured in any manner isn't worth much in an emergency.

My answer was to keep the 1911 empty (with the slide back and locked) laying on the bedside stand and attached a belt-type dual magazine holder to the bed's headboard (between it and the mattress) that would defy being found by even the most curious kid, thief, or racoon - but easily accessible to me for extracting a magazine, snapping it in place, and hitting the slide-release.

That kept the pistol always safe from any kid (mine or visitors) while bringing it to full rediness was easy in just a couple of seconds without fumbling with digital safe buttons, lock keys, and all the other stuff. I suppose it would have alerted any potential intruder when they suddenly heard the "click - kerching" of a magazine snapping in and slide going forward, but it would also have allowed an unexpected "friend" time to quickly speak up and say who they were before the SHTF scenario began.
    RugerMike likes this.

I'm so glad I don't have kids! I have loaded guns ready to go throughout my home and have no worries about them.

But if my nephews come for a visit, I do have safes to lock them up in.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Add a barky dog as an early warning system and you'll have time to get to the safe.
    Yeah we've got a great watch dog. She'll watch the guy walk up to the house, watch him kick in the door, watch him take our stuff, and watch him leave. She's a great watch dog. ;)
    l1a1, nerdyvirgin and Justified like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    Yeah we've got a great watch dog. She'll watch the guy walk up to the house, watch him kick in the door, watch him take our stuff, and watch him leave. She's a great watch dog. ;)
    She lives at my house and her name if Ruby! Love that dog!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    A Gunvault nano would make it a little more accessable. That is just something you with have to deal with while they are toddlers.

sgb
    Relocate your GunVault
    10thmtn likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Relocate your GunVault

^^^^^^^^^I'm in this camp^^^^^^^^^^^^

Put it in the closest drawer, (sock drawer, undies drawer) or whatever, and swing out of bed, open drawer, manipulate lock, and open.

Or do as has been mentioned, buy a pistol, that cannot shoot(all the manufacturers have them) with the magazine removed.
    Keep one in the chamber, insert mag, shoot thug if necessary
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    screw the gunvault to the side of the dresser, problem solved.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Center of Mass Safe...keep the key around your neck...safe, but easy to get to...

http://www.center-of-mass.com/
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have thought about this and can't come up with anything I feel completely comfortable about. I'm not saying there isn't a solution, but the odds of a kid accessing an in-reach gun are much higher than your ever needing to use it for defense. Choose carefully.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links