Going to Israel; your thoughts and suggestions on EDC are appreciated!

This is a discussion on Going to Israel; your thoughts and suggestions on EDC are appreciated! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well like the title says my wife and I are headed to Israel for 15 days next month on my sabbatical. I can't wait! It's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Going to Israel; your thoughts and suggestions on EDC are appreciated!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

Going to Israel; your thoughts and suggestions on EDC are appreciated!

Well like the title says my wife and I are headed to Israel for 15 days next month on my sabbatical. I can't wait! It's going to be amazing; not only are we going to get to see Israel with someone who has been there 10 times, but my wife is going to get baptized in the Jordan River and we are going to renew our wedding vows overlooking Jerusalem.

Of course, the challenge will be self defense while we are there. Thankfully they can't take my situational awareness away from me, nor can they take my kenpo. Yay for that.

Naturally there will be no taking of a firearm into Israel. (I am going with a Marine as well, and we saw lots of pics of Israeli young men and women slinging ARs; if it gets nuts, we will have access!) Likewise, knife laws are really sketchy. No locks on blades, has to be a certain size, lots of other restrictions, trouble galore, not worth it.

I have a former student who lives in Israel and said that many people there carry pepper spray. So that is what I am thinking. Any ideas? Anyone been there and seen what is kosher and what is not? (ba dum...CHA!)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Suggestion-- since you don't know their laws, either inquire at a consulate or leave your arms at home and "trust in the lord."

The last thing you need is to get into trouble in a foreign country.

As for pepper, I suppose you want to get that there if possible. I don't see how you can take it on a plane or pack it in luggage.
    Again, check with appropriate authorities; airline, TSA, Israeli Customs.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

My wife and I went a year ago and had no problems. We were heckled a little on the via Delarosa, but it was just from kids. Have a great time.

Double up a pair of socks(black dress=tactical lol), dump some local change in 'em and secure with a rubber band. Call it a tactical change purse or something. It reaches out if needed. Have a great time Sir, you got the best looking out for you IMO. God and a Marine...
    Last edited by 1911srule; January 30th, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Can you take along a pet ???? LIke a bomb sniffing dog ?

I haven't decided to brave it. Let us know how it goes. I was going to try to go to Egypt also, no way I'm doing that now.

Wondered if I should go before it gets worse over there.... since it's no telling what Egypt will / won't do.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I wouldn't go through the all the potential legal issues and/or hassles of trying to take any weapon along on such a long trip. Knowing the Isralies, once they quickly check your background and see you're a friend and not an enemy, they may go ahead and issue you an Uzi and deputize you

Have a good trip, but keep your "situation awareness" running at full speed - God bless.

Go and enjoy.

Your former student will know where to be and when to get out of dodge. My parents have been there twice as well as my younger brother and a few of my cousins.

Watch how airport and security should be handled. The TSA can learn alot.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

As a tourist, especially in the Holy areas, you will not even know you are in a war torn country.

I haven't been there for some years, but they tend to be very protective of their tourism industry, and police it very well. I wouldn't worry one bit.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

You are making a trip to Israel and will be seeing the bible lands and you think the "challenge" will be self-defense??? Maybe you ought to go to "Bible Land" in Orlando and call it even.
    Hopyard likes this.

MM,

Should something happen, just remember, you re in the nation with the highest resurrection rate in the world.

(When are you going? We are taking a group next year.)
    ctr likes this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Well like the title says my wife and I are headed to Israel for 15 days next month on my sabbatical. I can't wait! It's going to be amazing; not only are we going to get to see Israel with someone who has been there 10 times, but my wife is going to get baptized in the Jordan River and we are going to renew our wedding vows overlooking Jerusalem.

Of course, the challenge will be self defense while we are there. Thankfully they can't take my situational awareness away from me, nor can they take my kenpo. Yay for that.

Naturally there will be no taking of a firearm into Israel. (I am going with a Marine as well, and we saw lots of pics of Israeli young men and women slinging ARs; if it gets nuts, we will have access!) Likewise, knife laws are really sketchy. No locks on blades, has to be a certain size, lots of other restrictions, trouble galore, not worth it.

I have a former student who lives in Israel and said that many people there carry pepper spray. So that is what I am thinking. Any ideas? Anyone been there and seen what is kosher and what is not? (ba dum...CHA!)
    Since most other countries outlaw guns, knives, and even OC, I have always carried tactical flashlights with no problem. I usually bring either a Surefire 6P Defender w/ crenelated strike bezel and Surefire C2 Centurion (an extra in case my 6P gets lost or damaged). I also bring extra lithium batteries on my own person too. Generally, every country has no legislation dictating what type of flashlights you carry since they are regarded as tools. But beware of the UK, which sees any flashlight with a crenelated strike bezel like my Surefire 6P Defender as a weapon and can get you in legal trouble there.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    As a tourist, especially in the Holy areas, you will not even know you are in a war torn country.

I haven't been there for some years, but they tend to be very protective of their tourism industry, and police it very well. I wouldn't worry one bit.
    ^ This. Avoid the three stupids and enjoy.
    MinistrMalic likes this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I just got back from a trip and the tip I received from a traveler to this place who also works sometimes in the country when contracted was get a ring of blank keys and a good pair of running shoes.

POLICE Magazine (Current Issue)

Pt 1 of 3 - "Living with Terrorism" - YouTube

I found his book and podcast interesting before I went. Overall I felt safer there than anywhere in the us I have traveled to (over 30 states). I was on an organized tour, and per Israeli law required a armed guards. Many tour guides are armed if you do an organized tour. Other than that, just know where to go and not to go, and you will be fine. Lots of armed 18-21 year old soldiers are around plus police and then armed "civilians". (every civilian is still in the IDF reserves). You will be screened a lot, evn going into a supermarket, and even these guys are more thorough than than the TSA. If you fly el-al, expect a full behavior interview.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links