What Home Security System do you suggest? - Page 3

What Home Security System do you suggest?

This is a discussion on What Home Security System do you suggest? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am using now Frontpoint Security System. They're not as expensive as other companies like ADT and they use ge wireless devices and mobile apps ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What Home Security System do you suggest?

Thumbs up

I am using now Frontpoint Security System. They're not as expensive as other companies like ADT and
    they use ge wireless devices and mobile apps for the iphone on all their standard packages. They don't
    charge for installation either and they got some really good reviews. I am very happy with their service, especially their monitoring. I have an iphone and I can literally see my entire house and garden on it when I am at work. I had an ADT system before which was absolute crap, atrocious! Get frontpoint and do
    yourself a huge favor!

Be careful if you choose other companies because they will lure you to sign a contract that you can't
    escape. That's what happened to me with my previous security system so be sure to clarify all the details when you do. That's also one reason why Frontpoint is better cause their costumer support is very good unlike others. Here is the link to their site if you want to browse and get some information yourself on what package you want and the particulars that you have in mind Wireless Home Security

Hope it helps

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    After the of our son in 2006 and upcoming extended business travel, my wife and I decided on getting a home security system. We went with a direct ADT installed and monitored system (no third party vendor) that uses only wireless communication (no phone line). Though the installation cost with extra motion and door sensors was over $1K, we are VERY pleased with the quality of the system and the level of monitoring ($35/month). The only "false" alarms we have had was when a motion detector's battery voltage dropped below acceptable levels. All other times the alarm the alarm has functioned as intended, usually from poorly latched doors blowing open in the wind, or forgetting to deactivate the system when coming down the stairs in the morning. ADT is usually calling my cell phone within 30-45 secs to verify the fault.

We view the alarm system as just another layer in our defensive strategy that complements our combo of passive and active threat responses (alarm signs, locked doors/windows, dog, firearms).

VIP Member
    I have ADT. I use the basic Pulse system (no lights or thermostat controls) and I don't have cameras. This allows me to have access to the system remotely on my Iphone and the ability to set up event text messages. My wife can do the same on her Blackberry. The system has sensors on all the doors/windows and has fire monitoring. We recently updated the equipment to the Pulse package, but have had ADT for a few years. We are pleased with their services.

When I upgraded the equipment, I checked into their camera systems and for 2 cameras with a recorder and wiring to 1 monitor, they wanted $2,300 or so. I decided that was too rich for my blood and am checking for other options - suggestions accepted.

All in all, we are pleased with ADT's service and when we have had alarms, their calls have been prompt. We had a oven fire that I had to put out with a fire extinguisher and they called in the middle of the event - good response time, but annoying at the time due to having my hands full trying to put out the fire and vent the house by opening windows and setting up an industrial fan to blow air out through the garage.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by tashunkwitko View Post
    ADT is good, but also get a couple dogs too! Preferably German Shephards
    You need a good Old English Sheepdog
    Baasel.jpg

None. They are pointless.

by the time the cops show up, the robbers are gone.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Home Security is his specialty!

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    In every one of these home security threads, a few bring up the subject of dogs and say "this is my security system." It is worth repeating, a dog is a fine ADDITIONAL LAYER in your security profile, not a be all end all of security. The reasons for this should be obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    In every one of these home security threads, a few bring up the subject of dogs and say "this is my security system." It is worth repeating, a dog is a fine ADDITIONAL LAYER in your security profile, not a be all end all of security. The reasons for this should be obvious.
    I am pretty sure most don't mean that it is their only layer. Or they just want to show off their cute doggies.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I am pretty sure most don't mean that it is their only layer. Or they just want to show off their cute doggies.
    We have a BINGO!!!!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

To all who put their time into this discussion, thanks!!! We have been really thinking hard over this as of late and was unsure if the cost was worth it. The discussion prompted me to have a good discussion with ADT and ended up getting a good package. The discount for USAA members makes it a lot less daunting financially!

--Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    When I upgraded the equipment, I checked into their camera systems and for 2 cameras with a recorder and wiring to 1 monitor, they wanted $2,300 or so. I decided that was too rich for my blood and am checking for other options - suggestions accepted.
    I purchased the video systems that I use on Amazon, and installed them myself. A four camera system with 500 gig dvr cost 250 at the time. I think they are about 300 now. That is enough for continuous recording for about 10 weeks before it records over the oldest date and so on. If I haven't noticed something missing or wrong in 10 weeks, then I didn't need it anyway.

Depending on your ability to install it and program it you might can save yourself a bunch of money.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I put in a zomodo it's more of a survellance sytem but can be upgraded to alarm, watch it on any thing connected to internet from home or work, and will on this forum easy to set up did it myself get it from deal a day upgradable to alarm
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

If the wife knows how to shoot. Get a good dog alert dog. Doberman's or Sheps are great. As are many other breeds. A well trained dog can be one of the best security systems you have.

And yeah for some reason my dobie thinks she is a cat. She loves sitting on the back of the sofa. She has this thing that when she accepts someone into the family she likes laying by their shoulders on the couch like she is a family member in my one photo. As you can see she's a sweet dog. She loves people and kids but is a trained protection dog.
    18148_280015935567_728610567_4944450_5331393_n.jpg
    18148_280015955567_728610567_4944452_4165969_n.jpg
    24842_416290675567_728610567_5612897_8387521_n.jpg
    30704_427899725567_728610567_5879887_359629_n.jpg
    230752_10150245140425568_728610567_9141349_4454569_n.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links