What Home Security System do you suggest?

This is a discussion on What Home Security System do you suggest? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at getting set up with a home security system and not sure which one to choose from. My main concern is the security ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What Home Security System do you suggest?

What Home Security System do you suggest?

I'm looking at getting set up with a home security system and not sure which one to choose from.

My main concern is the security of my wife and our 4 kids while we are home or/and while I'm away. What company do you guys suggest and what do you look for in a good home security system?

I realize a lot goes into the security of our home and loved ones but in this thread I'm looking in particular for home security systems.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I have good luck with ADT. The siren is LOUD! Features are easy to understand. We did not buy the basic system,we upgraded to a system with a lot of room for more sensors ,etc. One thing I have posted before, I repeat for your benefit, tell the salesperson you want an experienced installer. I made it clear, no trainee, no guy just out of school. I want an old installer that can get the job done. They sent a guy with over 35 years experience. His radio went off all morning with new guys asking for his help,he just shook his head and muttered something about kids. That is my 2 cents of advice.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

ADT & don't go cheap when it comes to your family
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

I set up my own how I wanted, Home Technology Store, Abbra Pro.

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

ADT is good, but also get a couple dogs too! Preferably German Shephards
    Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I recommend THIS kind.

bull-mastiff.jpgbullmastiff.jpg
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Administrator
    I use Guardian Protection Services. Great company. In my area anyway. I have no idea how they are in the rest of the U.S. but, they are A#1 here. Never any problems. Their tech support and info & repair service is great, prompt and reliable.

Be sure and specify you want immediate police notification to an alarm. Otherwise they screw around for several minutes attempting to call you to verify an alarm. If you are being burglarized or robbed, they are wasting precious time. If they say this might upset the police due to false alarms, remind them if they have done their job right, there shouldn't BE any false alarms.

I have three wireless Swann security cameras with night vision(about 30ft.) set up outside my home accessible by my home computer and bedroom TV. They work great and I set them up myself. It's nice to be able to sit at your computer and watch what is going on outside your home without moving form in front of your monitor or TV.
    Last edited by Bigpoppa48; February 2nd, 2012 at 01:23 AM.

Have a 8 cam video system tied into a special VCR with a massive hard drive and flat screens in several rooms. Night cams carry a distance of 65 feet. System is a LOREX and you can buy direct but through the internet you can find units cheaper. Check it out.

Funny, I was just looking at Lorex systems this morning before this thread was started. They have a video on their site from one of the cameras over a residential parking space with two vehicles. They show 3 or 4 videos of activity from the camera, but I noticed you cannot make out the persons face, and especially on the night vision shot a guy walks from across the street directly toward the camera. When he gets close his whole face and all is completely white washed out. I don't know if that is the quality you get, or if they did that on purpose so to not show his face. You would think they would want you to see how clearly it shows someone face, if this is the case.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I use Guardian Protection Services. Great company. In my area anyway. I have no idea how they are in the rest of the U.S. but, they are A#1 here. Never any problems. Their tech support and info & repair service is great, prompt and reliable.
    This looks like a good place to start. I tried Vivint but I canceled within 3 days of signing up. Terrible service and not at all what they tried to sale me.

Thanks

Video and a camera are great if your home. You need something to deter them when your not there. I have ADT and like Crescentstar said have them call the police right away, sort everything out later. There have been some recent break ins where I live, the police will be happy to stop by and catch the bad guy in the act. I like the signs and stickers ADT provides. It will at least give them some thought and go on to someone else.

I agree with everyone that suggested the dogs. I trained dogs in personal protection and Schutzhund for a good while. With 4 kids now and one little baby it's hard to find time for a K9 and the training it demands. I will have another in the near future though.

Nice looking shephard!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links