Starting to feel a bit paranoid.

This is a discussion on Starting to feel a bit paranoid. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You need to notify the police ASAP. I HIGHLY recommend you install a security camera in the backyard. You can get something like this from ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Starting to feel a bit paranoid.

You need to notify the police ASAP. I HIGHLY recommend you install a security camera in the backyard. You can get something like this from Bass Pro Shops and put in a tree in the backyard. This will tell you exactly what is going on.

Primos® TRUTH Cam BLACKOUT™ 7.0/5.0 Megapixel Digital Trail Camera | Bass Pro Shops

2. Remove Ads

I just got back for the sheriff's office. I filled out a report that basically said everything that was in my original post. They agreed that everything added together and 2 healthy animals dieing in a 3 day period didn't sound right. Basically they said they would file the report and if anything else happened to let them know.
    marcclarke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You didn't say how old your son is. I'm not at all clear if that privacy fence surrounds your back yard on all sides or if
    someone can just walk into your back yard easily.

If your son seems credible, and your back yard is surrounded by a full privacy fence, I think you have a real problem.

That means someone jumped your fence or broke the lock on the gates (have you looked?) in order to get in. In short, they didn't just innocently wander in.

How many dead animals have you had in the previous 3 years? None I suspect and now several. How many times have you
    found a table overturned for no obvious reason?

I've got to go eat lunch and can't write more now, but I know what I'd be doing with that back yard right now. And I know
    what I would be looking into as well with regard to general security. I think you've got an enemy and you correctly identified
    the possible sources where you picked it up.
    My son is 15 and as far as I know is credible. The back and sides are privacy fence and the front are chain link and there is only one gate. Well off to install the new security features.

Does the meter reader enter your back yard? Sometimes they startle me when they flash by a window.

Have you checked with your neighbors?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Does the meter reader enter your back yard? Sometimes they startle me when they flash by a window.

Have you checked with your neighbors?
    No the meter is on the side of the house not it the fenced in area.

I'm sorry about the loss of your animals. This is not adding up to "natural causes" to me either. You've received some good advice, good luck to you and keep your eyes open.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Call the police immediately, something is likely going on. You may find out there are many other instances of this going on, a serial animal killer of sorts or something. I would also take the advise above and put up a camera.

Sounds like intentional or unintentional poisoning. I's suggest the former, however, a mouse or a rat that has eaten D-Con can kill a cat or dog. As others have suggested though, high alert is called for.

If you can afford it, a necropsy could tell you a lot about the two deaths. Sorry to hear of both.

VIP Member
    You didn't say how close, if any are the neighbors.
    You mentioned a goat.
    Do you live on the fringes of city limits, and has anyone recently moved in nearby, who may be pissed-off about your critters either making racket, or just by their presence[some people just hate the bother, of animals being around, with possible smells and such] .?
    Has your son possibly been in a rift with someone at school, who might be trying to get back at him??
    Something indeed strange in the neighborhood.
    All god advice posted previously, with police involvment, trail cams and lighting.
    Good luck.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I bet you are going to have some sleepless nights ahead of you. Glad you made the police report, now there is a paper trail started if something happens. You have and will receive some great advise from the members here. I know I did.

The only downside to a game camera is that they can be stolen pretty easily. There are some options that make them harder to steal. They do make some that will transmit a photo to your email address. Even if the camera is taken you get the photos. Of course they are more pricey.

If you don't have a family security plan in place, now is a good time to make one. Make sure the wife and son know what to do even if you are not there.

Good luck
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

An intercom system with outside one concealed and protected from weather is a good way to listen for movement from your bed. Refrain from turning on lights or going outside to investigate, they'll just come later. Let them announce themselves, don't train them. I'll bet your backyard provides enough concealment for desired entry by someone planning an entry. Consider a chain link fence vice a privacy fence. Inform neighbors of threat. You are a gun owner , thus a prime target nowadays for burglary. Besides someone who may be paving the way for a burglary, is it possible some rotten neighbor is bothered by your pets? Do you know the neighborhood teenagers? Any capable of this? Get lab tests done in case someone is caught, charges will be much greater. Best of luck, I agree a family plan is in order...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 82d DIVARTY View Post
    My son is 15 and as far as I know is credible. The back and sides are privacy fence and the front are chain link and there is only one gate. Well off to install the new security features.
    OK, a 15 y.o. isn't imagining things. If he says he saw someone back there, or thinks he saw someone back there, he probably did. I just wasn't sure if you were talking about something from the mouth of an imaginative 5 y.o.

Then you have a completely surrounded yard. No one can just wander in. Dogs can't just wander out and disappear.

I'd be laying rolls of barbed wire back there :---

The reason I'm telling you this is I once had something similar happen and I didn't realize how serious it was at the time. Some teen had broken the lock on my 6 ft fence and let himself in, in broad daylight; with both cars parked in the drive. He must have been there before and done something to scare the dogs into leaving him alone. He escaped when I tried to catch him, and I never did figure out what he was up to, but it wasn't going for a nice walk. I think he planned to ambush us by sneaking
    into our garage but got caught out in the open when Mrs H spotted him. Naively, I thought it was "just a kid" doing stupid stuff and didn't call the cops. My brains were out of gear or something, because the fact that he had broken the gate lock somehow
    didn't instantly set off alarm bells.

What I'm getting at is that I would act as if your son is right, the events are spooky, and look to improving your yard and home and personal security---especially given what you said about the possible sources of potential enemies.

Good luck.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    All good ideas so far my only comment is to have a least one camera an IR type for surveillance in zero light conditions.
    I agree. I meant to intentionally put out one that flashes and gives its position away and to have a second IR type aimed at the decoy camera. So when he goes to smash it then you'll get a good clear picture of the person.

There are also some motion detectors available with remote handheld receivers. So you can be alerted WHILE HE'S THERE instead of finding out the next day. I don't own one, but in reading up on them they seem pretty cool. 80ft scanning zone and transmits to 4 miles away.

MURS Alert Handheld Kit

The alert message is not just a tone, but it is spoken in English three times repeating the phrase "Alert Zone One," "Alert Zone Two," "Alert Zone Three," or "Alert Zone Four" depending on the zone that has been triggered.
    Your post has got me updating all of our home security measures.
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

this sounds like the dogs going off while you were at work spooked the BG. dropping poison to cure that and the goat got in the way. be very watchfull and show your wife how to use the shotgun. I do not think this is over.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I have seen this before, you have a neighbor that hates listening to barking dogs, the bleeding out the mouth was the give away.your neighbor is feeding them a decon burger,AKA coumadin=blood thinner. your livestock likely ate some as well by accident. the dog hater likely threw the poisoned meat over the fence also. Hope you figure this out soon as I would be mad as hell right now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links