Getting a roommate or renting a room.

This is a discussion on Getting a roommate or renting a room. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Or more like a girl that currently owns a house is renting out a room and getting a roommate... Me! I am joining the rest ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: Getting a roommate or renting a room.

Getting a roommate or renting a room.

Or more like a girl that currently owns a house is renting out a room and getting a roommate... Me! I am joining the rest of America's youth and getting a roommate, not at the point of moving back in with my parents yet and hope that day never comes. Lol.

Well I have a complex HD question. I currently have 2 handguns and one shotgun. The handguns are constantly kept in a combo/key firesafe until night time, and since I live alone now my shotgun is kept under the bed (not the best location I know, but I can't afford a safe big enough to hold my shotgun). Well I told this potential roommate that I am a legally armed citizen, I am moving into her house it would only be courteous, and she seemed to have no problem with that as long as I kept them in my safe. What should I do with my shotgun? I really rather not leave it in a storage space and since most of my family is in the "anti" crowd I can't leave it at my fathers. Any ideas would help, because my mind is kinda jammed and all I can think about is selling it.

2. Remove Ads

IF nothing else use a cable lock.

Something like this is better than nothing: http://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/comm...ategory%3DSECU
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Maybe you can buy one of those trigger locks or get a case made for a long gun with a lock on it. Shouldn't be too expensive. I know nothing about either of these suggestions other than a vague inclination that they exist.

Yep. Just see if she is ok with you putting a lock of some sort on the shotgun or locking it in a case. It won't do you much good if you need it but beats getting rid of a shotgun that you like.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have a keyed lock on my one rifle case. I shoot it enough it's annoying to store in the safe just to take it out every other day. Then you can use a cable lock through the handle and around your bed frame if you want to make it so noone can just grab and run.

VIP Member
    I realize I'm not answering your question and worse, I'm offering unsolicited advice.
    Don't get a roommate if it is at all possible to avoid doing it.

If you start out as friends, you won't be friends when it is over.
    If you start out as strangers one of two outcomes will follow:you will become friends; you won't be able to get the
    person out of your home.

Going home to parents is not a nice option, but IMO is far safer than getting mixed up with a stranger.
    PS-- Girlfriends are strangers until after you are married; and then they are often instantly transformed into just strange people.

Guns and strangers in your personal space don't mix.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Have separate bedrooms? Keep your shotgun under your bed with a trigger lock. Many creative ways to stow a shotgun in an apartment if you are handy. Double door folding closet? Two 16D nails will hold it up over the top of the inside of your closet. Nobody will ever look there including the FBI, CIA, or anyone who hasn't read this post. Again....you have to be handy and creative while still being responsible. I've never had to worry about a room mate in civilian life. Simply me.....I trust nobody. If you lived within 30 miles of me, I'd seriously come help you set up your secure location for your shotgun and you could still touch it every day whenever you wanted to and your room mate wouldn't be the wiser. Some things you shouldn't compromise on as an American, God fearing, gun owner...but interior decorating plays a role in decisions sometimes. I could cure your dilemma in a few minutes.
    gasmitty likes this.

VIP Member
    I had roommates when I first moved out and up to a big city. Definitely lock them up.

May I suggest breaking down the shotgun and hiding it under the bottom dresser drawer, cabled locked? Most dressers have space under the bottom drawer. Roommates and their snooping friends won't think to look there.

The wall mounted locks are cool like in the first reply, and a trigger lock or cable lock are easily found...I bet the local PD would give you a cable lock if you asked nicely.

My only room mate experience was in College, 1.5 years and I had enough with him...we're great friends but I couldn't stand the kid after living in one room together for so long...thank goodness for long breaks! I'm looking into buying a home this summer and even if it's a 3 bedroom that just means I have a bedroom, a gun room, and a workout room. haha

can you install a good locking door knob?

locked hard case?

I wont even go into roomate issues, and female roomate issues at that... lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Have separate bedrooms? Keep your shotgun under your bed with a trigger lock. Many creative ways to stow a shotgun in an apartment if you are handy. Double door folding closet? Two 16D nails will hold it up over the top of the inside of your closet. Nobody will ever look there including the FBI, CIA, or anyone who hasn't read this post. Again....you have to be handy and creative while still being responsible. I've never had to worry about a room mate in civilian life. Simply me.....I trust nobody. If you lived within 30 miles of me, I'd seriously come help you set up your secure location for your shotgun and you could still touch it every day whenever you wanted to and your room mate wouldn't be the wiser. Some things you shouldn't compromise on as an American, God fearing, gun owner...but interior decorating plays a role in decisions sometimes. I could cure your dilemma in a few minutes.
    Haha exactly right. I am the same way. And for the nails. I do the same. It works perfect. I threw tape around em to not scratch my stock/ barrel.

[QUOTE=darebear;2169677]
    The handguns are constantly kept in a combo/key firesafe until night time, and since I live alone now my shotgun is kept under the bed (not the best location I know, but I can't afford a safe big enough to hold my shotgun). ....she seemed to have no problem with that as long as I kept them in my safe. [QUOTE]

There have been some good suggestions by people here on how to deal with your shotgun.

However, the above part of your post that I highlighted brought a couple of questions to my mind! Do you have a carry permit and do you carry during the day or are both of your handguns locked up during the day as you indicated? If she doesn't mind guns "as long as they are locked up", what are you going to do about carrying if/when you get a permit if she is as anti-gun as she seems to be?

I'm sorry, but if it were me, I think I'd be looking for a "house mate" who was a little more "gun friendly"! I can foresee some real issues arising in the future between the two of you! Take it from someone who has had a variety of apartment and house mates over the years before and between marriages. And never had any issues about guns--just other things over time! Just my .02 for what it's worth.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Links