Sleep with a gun handy?

This is a discussion on Sleep with a gun handy? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have this. Amazon.com: PS HOLSTER MATE BED BRACKET: Sports & Outdoors With one of these. Amazon.com: Ambidextrous Belt Slide Holster for Medium-Large Frame-Black Leather: ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Sleep with a gun handy?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    My EDC is on the nightstand next to my bed whenever I'm sleeping. If I'm up, it's on my side.
    This exactly!!!!!^^^

RugerLCP for EDC
    CWFL Florida
    NRA member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

My kids grew up with guns and could touch them any time they wanted. They touched them, clean them, shot them, respected them; we never had a problem in the night stand or on the range
    normAK likes this.

Paranoid/Prepared.......Tomayto/Tomahto...... 357 mag near bed, Rem 870 near too. Yorkie alarm system. Hope and pray I never need any of them, but prepared and resolved to do so if necessary.
    bandrich likes this.

Full perimeter alarm system, no dogs. On my night stand at home or when out of town is my G-19 with a "Happy Stick" and another next to it in the event that anything occures. If 64 rounds do not stop the issue, then there are regular refills of other mags that will suppliment the first two.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

If you've ever woken up to the sound of one of your windows breaking, you're gonna want a gun as close as possible when you wake up. If someone is already in your house, it's imperative to have a gun close and accessible.

If children are an issue, you really need to be responsible enough to ensure they are not going to get a hold of it. Whether you keep a gun in a bedside gun safe, or out in the open on the nightstand really depends on your kids. Are guns a part of your normal life, and are your kids responsible enough not to mess with them? Have your kids been shooting and do they know the safety issues when handling a gun? More importantly, do they know the destructive power of guns? Do they know and understand that guns can be dangerous and not to be played with?

If you have any doubt, you should have a bedside gun safe or at least a trigger lock on your gun. If it makes your wife happy, and keeps peace in the house, you really should have a bedside gun safe or trigger lock on the gun.

It's safe to assume you've spent several hundred dollars on your defensive handgun. Spending an additional $60 to $100 on a bedside handgun safe isn't too much to spend for the insurance of knowing the kids won't kill themself or others. Neither is spending $10 on a decent trigger lock.
    JDE101, TVille and The Old Anglo like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    My EDC is on the nightstand next to my bed whenever I'm sleeping. If I'm up, it's on my side.
    Could not have stated it any better.

Before I had kids I would keep guns strategically placed around the house, including the night stands. Now, when they're not on me, there locked up.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I keep my Beretta .40 on my nightstand and LCP in the drawer!! My kids are grown and gone and when my grandkids spend the nite, it gets put up out of their reach!!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Yes Sir

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    She hates it, but has to accept it. I think I'll keep my avatar.
    Thank you for ever-so-clearly indicating whether your OP means you have kids or not ...
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Dan Wesson .357 next to bed in night stand, LCP in drawer in family room where we watch TV and new Kahr CM9 in the lower level rec room. Also the Beretta .40 is on my hip when up and about. The EDC will change to the CM9 when break-in is finished.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

No reason to be unarmed all night after carrying all day imo.

My hand can reach, without stretching, and touch my firearm in the dark...I can also see the night sights.
    When the grandkids spend a month in the summer...they've been gun-proofed, but then I do put the gun just inside the nightstand drawer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

PX 4 Storm .45 and a flashlight right on the nightstand. My AR and Mossberg 500 Persuader are strategically placed elsewhere.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links