Sleep with a gun handy? - Page 4

Sleep with a gun handy?

This is a discussion on Sleep with a gun handy? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CanuckQue Thank you for ever-so-clearly indicating whether your OP means you have kids or not ... Well, you are by God welcome....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Sleep with a gun handy?

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Thank you for ever-so-clearly indicating whether your OP means you have kids or not ...
    Well, you are by God welcome.

My EDC is with me everywhere, every day except the places that are verbotten. Beside my bed is a Biometric safe. When i go to bed, I prop it open for easy access. In the morning, it's closed as soon as I wake because at that time, my EDC is on my person.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    why would you have guns for personal protection and not have a plan in place for the nitetime?
    Honk and Hopyard like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    No little ones in my house (except the 4 legged variety), so my gun is in the nightstand drawer. If I had children around, I would have a small safe to keep it in at night.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

MJK
    There are a lot of posts here which reference bedside safes to block childrens' access to weapons. That is fine if it works for you, but my approach was to introduce my daughter to firearms at a very early age. She could shoot well by the time she was 8 and there was no mystery about firearms! I kept my HD weapons loaded and accessible at all times and never had a problem! Just sayin' that training and knowledge are as effective as safes.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Yes I do.

I sleep with one VERY handy. I sleep on my side leaning on a body pillow...keep a holstered piece under the body pillow pointing away from anyone. If anyone is going to get to it, they have to move me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Got a kid now, she's 3...much too smart for her own good, I keep them locked up in my safe.

im going to get a different safe, using a key is too slow if someone is in my house already.

Biometric safe open in less than a flash gun is safe everyone happy.
    150 up if that is to much for you the finger type work well also. Around 100 for a good one.
    I have both in the home cars and motorcycles

Always, no kids(for another 4 months anyways) so mine is under my pillow. Once the little one is born I will purchase a bedside safe
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    There are a lot of posts here which reference bedside safes to block childrens' access to weapons. That is fine if it works for you, but my approach was to introduce my daughter to firearms at a very early age. She could shoot well by the time she was 8 and there was no mystery about firearms! I kept my HD weapons loaded and accessible at all times and never had a problem! Just sayin' that training and knowledge are as effective as safes.
    What ever works. Curious, how many weapons are loaded and accesible at any given time and what happens if there are other children in the house? Playmates, relatives, parties? My was respoonsible at a young age but maybe not his friends. Just asking.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    no matter where you put a gun in a home, children will find it
    and you asleep next to it is not child-proof. suppose your in the bathroom when
    one of them comes in the room...or too sick to wake up when one playfully sneaks up?

the gun has to be 2 steps from useful--and think about it;
    a noise in the night does not make you instantly able to perform--
    so the opening of a draw and inserting a mag, raking the slide are
    motiions you need to get ready...as well as the gun.

rather than fumble with a bio-safe, a BHP, slide locked back with the mag next to it
    and a metal 3 cell flash is a child safe yet ready package ( e-muffs optional and are a seperate subject).
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    I'm with you in the spirit of what you suggest, but sadly many if not all states now make taking that course essentially illegal.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    No kids here,guns hidden in various places around house and one on table next to my bed ready to go. Cocked and locked.

Raised a son and three daughters in the exact same fashion! Now working with the grandchildren with no change to the formula. As to the topic of the thread; unless I am inside the work place, never less than an arms reach around the clock. I am sure my wife thinks I am more than a little suspicious/paranoid to the say the least. However, the few times I have had to investigate the "bump in the night" she never asks "should I call the cops" or "do you have your flashlight". It's always been "do you have your pistol?" I always keep it holstered even on the night stand so her answer is the sound of the draw.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links