Sleep with a gun handy?

This is a discussion on Sleep with a gun handy? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; See below: DE24CE4C246448FBB8CBA1FC8BD7C21D.jpg...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Sleep with a gun handy?

BadgerJ likes this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE=wjh2657;2188679]See below:

DE24CE4C246448FBB8CBA1FC8BD7C21D.jpg[/QUO

I bought one of these 2 years ago and never took it out of the box. How do you like it???
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Love it. It is just part of the bedroom furniture now. I am a firm believer in the short barreled 12 gauge pump as a primary HD weapon.This particular Mossberg 500A was a survivor of a tornado in 2008. The barrel was bent and the stock was broken. I stripped it down and cleaned it, reblued it and installed a new Mossberg 18 1/2 " barrel, Hogue Overmold stock and forearm, Limb Eaze recoil pad and Meprolight night bead. The old bird gun is now a "House Ninja!" The rack works perfectly. I have no young ones at home so no danger. When I go away from the house the Mossberg goes into a closet gun safe. The other holster is for my EDC at night.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

MJK

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    What ever works. Curious, how many weapons are loaded and accesible at any given time and what happens if there are other children in the house? Playmates, relatives, parties? My was respoonsible at a young age but maybe not his friends. Just asking.
    Good questions! With playmates in the house they were either directly supervised or, if the situation called for it, the weapons were locked up beforehand. That was a pretty rare occurrence, however, and I always had a weapon on me during those occasions. Relatives are another story. The ones that enter the house are responsible adults and can handle firearms with relative competence. They were aware of the situation and knew not to touch anything if they happened to come across it. But they weren't rooting through my secret hiding places looking for trouble, either.
    After my daughter grew up and left the house I continue the practice. Never had a problem, but I am prepared should a home invasion ever occur.
    BTW...regarding number of weapons loaded...can't say exactly. But everything in my house is loaded and accessible.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Mine is on the night stand or on me. As for my kids - I take them to the range a lot and they know what the different guns can do and respect them. Also, it's taken away that 'forbidden fruit' stigma. All they have to do is ask me and we go to the range.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Love it. It is just part of the bedroom furniture now. I am a firm believer in the short barreled 12 gauge pump as a primary HD weapon.This particular Mossberg 500A was a survivor of a tornado in 2008. The barrel was bent and the stock was broken. I stripped it down and cleaned it, reblued it and installed a new Mossberg 18 1/2 " barrel, Hogue Overmold stock and forearm, Limb Eaze recoil pad and Meprolight night bead. The old bird gun is now a "House Ninja!" The rack works perfectly. I have no young ones at home so no danger. When I go away from the house the Mossberg goes into a closet gun safe. The other holster is for my EDC at night.
    Thanks for the reply. I will have to find the box and give it a try.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Yes,hidden yet within reach

I keep one in the top drawer of the night stand. I do not have any children right now, but my wife is due in July. I figure is still have some time before I need to find a more secure way to store it and not lose its accessibility in case I need to use it.

No kids so this is easy. I have a .40 SW by me and the wife has her LC9 and the two poodles with bionic hearing at the foot of the bed. 😁

I use this Bedside Shotgun / Rifle Rack bed frame mounted | eBay
    and a pistol of some sort in the night stand. Needless to say there aren't any children in my house.

Distinguished Member
    GunVault safes.. one on my side with an XD-40 and one on my GF's side with her Sig. When we crawl into bed, the safe doors are opened for the night.
    Good bedside gun safes are affordable, secure and should be part of a responsible gun owner's collection.

20955_248042271874_247921546874_3701205_3275758_n.jpg

This is where I keep my G17 w/night sights and 2 spare mags. It's my dedicated HD gun.

I keep a P2000 .357 Sig in a Safepacker hanging from between my mattress and box spring.

Thumbs up

I use a bed side holster mount that i found at bedsidedefense.com and it works really well.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Your situational awareness is a its lowest, and you are the most vulnerable ,when you are asleep. TV emulates real life, not the other way around. A criminal is not so stupid as to look for a target where the homeowner is at the peak of awareness and the peak of preparedness. He seeks out the unaware, the unprepared. Much like the state that your wife supports and wishes you were all in at night. You are wise, do what you know is right to protect your family.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links