Sleep with a gun handy?

This is a discussion on Sleep with a gun handy? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The wife hates it. I mean, she plumb hates it. Afraid the little guys are gonna find it and make the news. I don't have ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Sleep with a gun handy?

Sleep with a gun handy?

The wife hates it. I mean, she plumb hates it. Afraid the little guys are gonna find it and make the news. I don't have one of those little safes. Might ought to get one. She believes I am paranoid because, after all, we live in a small town with very little violent crime. She says I have seen too much TV. I tell her yeah, I have, as in the local news. We are not too far away from a good sized city that we both work in. And it's a rough city. So I sleep with a gun fairly close. I don't think I'm paranoid. I say I am careful. Gun and phone are in the headboard drawer. I sleep easier with them there. And they come with me first thing in the morning.
    danfive555 and GSDSchutzhund like this.

2. Remove Ads

I also sleep with my gun handy! I will do whatever I have to, to keep my family safe. But that also means keeping the guns out of the little ones hands too. Little safes are not too expensive and I may help ease your wife's worries as well. Your their protector from outside dangers and inside dangers.

Be safe

My EDC is on the nightstand next to my bed whenever I'm sleeping. If I'm up, it's on my side.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

My XD is usually either A) holstered in my pants if I plan on wearing them for another day, or B) right next to my pants that I'll wear tomorrow. This is right next to the bed within reaching distance.

yep, keep one beside me all the time (except when on campus, college student, and thats when its back at the house)whether im sleeping and its beside the bed or beside me in my pocket when im awake

I am a retired LEO (2 careers 42 yrs+). I have put LOTS of people in jail! I cannot go the the local Wal-Mart or birthday party w/o someone I arrested showing up! OR some ******* committing a crime in front of me and my wife! We are armed 24/7. My neighbor's kids-she was a LEO too-robbed my home! A 75 yr old retired Trooper and his wife were killed in a home invasion by teen B/Ms on drugs! You come in my house @ your own risk! If your wife bucks you on that issue you need to trade your T-Rex avitar for a tampon.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    When I get home from work or being out and about, I take my EDC out of my CBST and put it in my bedside holster. I live in safe neighborhood but I would rather be safe than sorry. You just never know.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Did you say "little guys"? If you have children in the house, even if you are sleeping with a gun in the nitestand next to you, you should have a gun safe. Period. It will also help calm down your wife.
    TVille, l1a1 and bspoon like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

When I'm sleeping, my gun and cell phone are in the night stand beside the bed. When I'm up, it is on my waist or within my reach. However, we don't have any little ones to worry about. If there were children in the house, I'd invest in one of the small safes that can be opened in a moment by pressing a finger pattern or one of the more expensive ones that respond to your fingerprints. Just my .02.

BTW, bad things can and do happen to good people in good neighborhoods, in small towns, etc. Your wife has her head in the sand if she believes otherwise! Stand your ground and keep her, the little ones, and yourself safe! Keep you gun close at hand--it isn't being paranoid, it's being prepared.
    EdJean likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I purchased this safe recently:

Amazon.com: GunVault NV200 NanoVault with Key Lock, Fits Full Size 1911 Style Pistols: Home Improvement

The price is right, and it comes with a cable to attach to something solid. I currently use mine mostly in the truck, but we're planning on having little ones of our own in the very near future, and will pick up another for the nightstand. Very well made and sturdy.

I am a fan of the magnetic holster because the gun can be mounted in spots that are not out in the open

A set-up I use is a Diamondback Battle belt with suspenders,it hangs on my head board,it has a Blackhawk Serpa,that I want recommend for intermediate shooters,there is the inherate danger of trigger activation upon drawing,2 A.R mag pouches,a RAT-3 knife,and a surefire 6P led light, this set-up allows me to put my G23 in that holster,with some security, and the only time it is in there is when i'm in bed.

VIP Member
    If you have kids in the house, get the little safe.

I know you take it with you every morning, but it only takes one unexpected event to break your routine.

I can think of no worse hell than knowing that my unsecured firearm caused harm to a little one.

I keep my M&P .40c on my nightstand, my 870 leaned against the nightstand, and my wife has her Kahr CW9 on her side.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    mywife has her Kahr CW9 on her side.
    Isn't that kind of uncomfortable for sleeping? I generally take mine off :)
    Guest1 and Secret Spuk like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links