Home invasion and deaths......mistakes made

This is a discussion on Home invasion and deaths......mistakes made within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We live rural, three of us, myself, wife and elderly FIL. I've been preaching to them about not opening the door to anyone they don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Home invasion and deaths......mistakes made

VIP Member

Home invasion and deaths......mistakes made

We live rural, three of us, myself, wife and elderly FIL. I've been preaching to them about not opening the door to anyone they don't know or recognize, and secondly not broadcasting to the public about any valuables that we may have in our house, certainly don't mention guns or gun safe. I've mentioned it several times on this forum about how I think a video door intercom would be the safest way to deal with strangers at the door. I haven't put one in yet, but I intend to do it this summer.

Here is a local home invasion. Two residents dead, one clinging to life and a half million dollars of gold in their safe missing. No forced entry into the home. I'd bet word got out that they had a sizeable amount of gold, they were elderly, and apparently opened the door to strangers.

Are there people walking this earth who would kill three innocent people over a half million dollars? Absolutely, and there are many who would kill you over much much less money.

Here's the news link to this home invasion that was apparently not necessarily drug or sexually related. It's a sad situation. BTW Gonzales is near Baton Rouge.

I printed this news article out for my wife and FIL read, it essentially supports what I've been requesting. It's a sad story.

Safe linked to Ascension murder found in Livingston | Home | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, LA
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Half a million in gold ,,,,, plus guns,,,, most likely
    someone who knows them ,,,,, maybe someone
    they thought was a friend.
    “A few elitists shouldn't rule the many. ”
    Better to have a 380 in your pocket than a 45 at HOME.
    When seconds count, police are minutes away.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Sounds like someone who had knowledge of the safe contents. They are asking coin dealers to come forward if they see the coins. They may have been very secrect about what they had in their safe but they had to buy the coins somewhere. The coin dealer knew what they had.

They probably told a so called friend who ran off at the mouth! disclosing what you have in your home in todays world will only spell diaster or death. Honestly even discussing your weapons is a major security issue! I trust my wife, that's it! Honestly she doesnt even know what I have in the gun vault! We have a great understanding, Don't ask and I wont tell. That amount of gold should have been in the saftey deposit box at the bank! Such a sad story.
    OldVet and The Old Anglo like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "That amount of gold should have been in the saftey deposit box at the bank!"

That. ^
    marcclarke likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Even if someone knows you have a safe in your house that's bad enough. A BG knows that something of value will be inside. I brought a safe in to a place one time at night so no one could see what was going on.

Regarding the safety deposit box, I'm guessing the guy may have been afraid of the bank failing in these economic times and/or the gubment or someone seizing its contents. Another reason may have been is that the bank must seal a safety deposit box upon the death of the boxholder. Assets at home sort of fly under the legal radar. I'm not advocating his philosophy either way, I'm just thinking about why. His decision(s) likely cost him his life. Ultimately the preventative answer is "shut mouth".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Here's a bit more recent news link. Shows pictures of the safe, victims, etc. While the victims were dead/dying they (I presume more than one) probably had plenty of time to load that heavy-looking safe. At $500,000 worth of gold, that would have been around 20 lbs of gold as part of the contents.

Pretty suspicious driving around with a safe in the back of a pickup at night, I wonder if they put it inside a van or SUV?

Police: Gonzales home invasion safe possibly found - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Three of them brutally beat up and throats slashed. The robbers probably knew them. I wonder if they came with the step son and that is how they gained entry. As others have said, some one talked.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

Regarding the safety deposit box, I'm guessing the guy may have been afraid of the bank failing in these economic times and/or the gubment or someone seizing its contents. .

Who says it can't happen here

When word spread about the government raid and theft of the contents of their safety deposit boxes people rushed to the bank vaults. The police arrested 146 and charged 30 (those with the most cash and gold in their safety deposit boxes) with trumped up pedophilia, money-laundering, drug-dealing and firearms charges.
    \"\"

Armed robbery of bank safety deposit boxes by London Police

This isn’t the first time the British government ordered the seizure of its people’s deposits. Back in June 2008, 1 year after the global economic crisis began, policearmed with automatic weapons (shown in above image) were ordered by Gordon Brown to seize (to take by force) thousands of deposit boxes, ranging from small book-sized boxes to large walk-in safes in a string of west London raids. Armed robbery is defined as a crime ” involving the use of a weapon in the taking of money or goods in the possession of another, from his or her person or immediate presence“..

GoldSilver News - British government begins stealing its peoples’ bank deposits ahead of the global financial collapse.

In the long run, it really doesn't matter how the killers found out about the safe and gold. What matters is how security conscious you are in your own home.

A lot of people, myself included keep a gun on their person all the time, even inside the home. That's a start right there!

A lot of people do not open their doors unless they know who's there and knew the person was coming over. I'm not one of those, but I do exercise due caution when opening the door to someone who shows up unexpectedly.

A lot of people keep their doors locked all the time. I do. It's a habit which doesn't take long to form. I simply lock the door behind me after I close it. Even after letting the dogs in from playing outside, I always keep the back door locked.

Finally, there are very few people I trust with my life. Everyone else, I keep an eye on. Even people I've known for 20 years. You just never know when someone will become desperate enough to do something heinous if they think they can get away with it. Basically, I just never let my guard down unless the wife and I are home alone. And then, it takes no more then a second to jump to the appropriate level of alertness because we always armed with a gun somewhere on our person.
    mano3 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sad story, hope they catch the perps. Hope the mom makes it also.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    In the long run, it really doesn't matter how the killers found out about the safe and gold. What matters is how security conscious you are in your own home.
    I'd say they, or anyone else, should maintain a two-fold process. The first being as confidential as possible about assets kept in the home and bolster that confidentiality with good security defenses for home.

Letting the scent of money out in the public will likely attract more BG's. I wouldn't care for my home defenses and plans to take the excessive attention of extra BG's sudden interest in my home's contents.

I'd like to know more about this families confidentiality and defenses, I'm guessing they were low. However it seems that I read/heard in one of the articles that family members did not know/recognize the safe as one belonging to them.

This sound crazy, but, I knew somone who used to be a jewel thief. He said he got most of his leads from coin magazines. I guess people used to list their names as gold, silver or bronze members depending on how much they had. Duh !, free advertising for the thiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "That amount of gold should have been in the saftey deposit box at the bank!"

That. ^
    NO WAY !! If they live in a rural area, it should be buried in several locations,
    and only the wife and 1 other trusted person should know where the MAPS are hidden.

VIP Member
    BTW I read a news report recently that said the lady died. She was the only survivor and had been hospitalized, I'm guessing she had been on life-support and never was conscious enough to help the police. That makes three people killed and AFAIK no one has been arrested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links