New Trick-- burglars hit occupied homes

This is a discussion on New Trick-- burglars hit occupied homes within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Burglaries in South College Station Neighborhoods Have Residents on Alert Maybe this is an old trick, but it seems to be new around here. Someone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New Trick-- burglars hit occupied homes

VIP Member

Burglaries in South College Station Neighborhoods Have Residents on Alert

Maybe this is an old trick, but it seems to be new around here.

Someone distracts the homeowner or occupant at the front door or the front yard. Meanwhile an accomplice breaks in through a back window and helps himself to your stuff.

It is happening in a decent enough neighborhood, new enough, and it is only a matter of time before
    it goes really really bad; they'll get in while a kid is in the house, or an elderly person is in the house. Or they'll steal guns.

Its hard for me to understand how they do it since most homes here have 6 foot wood privacy fences.
    But, do it they are. A dozen break ins in about 6 months with the same M.O.

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this defensively. You can't be in two places at once.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Get a large dog, inside or out...or both.

Let them hear you rack the slide on your pump shotty before answering the door.

Don't answer the door for a stranger.

pick any one or more of the above.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Bugdude has some good ideas.

Talk to them through a storm or security door or don't answer it. You should be able to hear them break the window to get in if you are still in your home.

Keep your windows and doors locked, that way they have to break them to get in. That isn't a quiet job.

Be vigilant, keep your eyes open and have the neighbors keep their eyes open.
    The_Outlaw likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

We rarely have only one person at home at any given time. Usually more. Given our past history(trouble) here with nefarious types, we are suspicious of anyone showing up. BS filters always turned on high. A good dog would be best countermeasure for this imho.Whats sad is older folks will fall victim more as times are far different than they are used to. Anyone with older family members should discuss security issues with them and try to advise. Its strange some people still live without simply locking doors/windows when at home. Best present may be installing driveway type motion sensor covering vulnerable points of entry..??
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    'case' your own house.

note its strengths and weaknesses for a lone person to gain axcess.
    windows shoud be double pane plus triple tracks.
    no ladders or garden tools laying about.

for an unexpected caller, scanne the rear before approaching the front door.

have your handgun , holster or mexican, on the hinge side of the door
    if you are going to open the door, have good shoes on so you can chuck the door with them.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Someone mentioned ladders.

A few years ago we had several daytime home burgalries. The BGs entered through the back of the house and exited from the front. Most of these happened in very nice neighbourhods with privacy fences. In almost all of the the cases the privacy fences were smooth on the inside with the cross bars on the alley side. The BGs just scaled the fence as they would climb a ladder.
    USN Retired

VIP Member
    Here's where I am having a problem figuring out a strategy for this particular tactic.

Of course I could ignore the door and go directly to the back side of the house. 99+% of the time there will be no one at the back, but there might be someone at the front door with legitimate business.

Typically, I don't open the front door. My garage opens to the front. I enter the garage, lock the door to the house behind me, open the garage door and go out into the driveway to see who is there and what they want. I have this down to an art form,
    and usually surprise the heck out of people who don't know me as I slip up to their rear. I use this tactic to isolate trouble
    outside the house. Whatever they might do to me, they ain't getting in where my wife is.

Now, with the tactic described in the newsy about the BGs, my wife is alone in the house, accomplices might have made it to the back yard and if I spend too much time out front, into the house. BAD.

Yup, geese might do, but its in the city limits. Dogs, I've seen them run from BGs. I nearly caught one H2H one time while the two dogs ran off away from the scene-- chickens. They went to the pound to teach them a lesson.

I do have window glass break alarms on all my windows. All are double pane, and I doubt anyone could so much as put a hand on any window or rear door without hell breaking loose. Still, the idea of being out front with a slick talker while Mrs H is inside, perhaps when an alarm goes off, is disconcerting. (She refuses to shoot, but has a reasonable excuse in the form of severe hearing problems which would be worsened if she did shoot.)

Anyway, I thought the story would be of some interest to a few of you.

Got to scoot. I just got reminded that its time to do my before bed routine of securing the perimeter.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    "the idea of being out front with a slick talker while Mrs H is inside, perhaps when an alarm goes off, is disconcerting."

So don't. It seems to me an alarming number of situational posts here involve answering your door to strangers. I'm a very nice guy, but if I don't know you I turn extremely anti-social if you come knocking on my door. I simply don't answer. I don't understand the feeling of obligation some have to answer their doors, especially when they later admit they felt something wasn't quite right.
    danfive555 likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I have my house covered by 4 Fixed Cameras and 4 Wireless cameras that I can move when necessary. Our neighborhood has 4 cameras at the one and only entrance to the Hood. Those cameras get faces and tag numbers of everything entering and leaving our Hood. We also actively challenge anyone we do not know in our Hood. This also runs off folks shoving flyers and business cards into our mail boxes. No signs but we get everything on video. It does not cost that much to do it for yourself, you just do need to do some searching and checking. I also have been in Television and Security Video for more than 47 years and have designed and built some very expensive systems for "Rapid Rail Transit Systems" across the US. There are folks near you that can do a good Video Security system for you.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

You can buy or build your own spike strips that will run across the top of a privacy fence as a great deterrent to cats, burglars, birds and other potential fence climber/sitters. Even though it takes pruning them with great care and thick leather gloves, planting pyracantha hedge bushes around the inside perimeter of a fence and under house windows is also an amazing natural deterrent to any would-be intruder.

A front porch video cam (with local LCD monitor near the door) and door intercom system are relatively inexpensive ways of seeing who's at the door and easily telling them you're not interested/house is quarantined/go away without opening the door and risking any dangerous or unpleasant confrontations.

Whether you or the wife may be temporarily occupied at the front door intercom/camera monitor, intense screaming from the back yard area (as an intending intruder has left a portion of his backsides or lower trunk appendage(s) hanging from the spike strip and fallen into the pyracanthas) will instantly alert you to a problem back there much faster than any alarm system - plus the already severly wounded intruder will either be incapacited or moving a lot slower to make a much easier target

This is a real world perimeter system used by many wise folks, but you also need to have a couple of well-fortified windows (away from the doors) without pyracanthas beneath them in the event you would need an escape route in case of fire when the doors may not be accessible.

The best and only thing to do is NOT answer the door. If you don't know the person, then they have no business at your door. No other reason to open it. I don't. Then watch their movements, see if they just turn and leave or look around the house at windows, other doors, etc. Just be aware of where they are.
    paching likes this.

Front metal storm door is locked, both rear doors, metal storm door & deadbolt wooden door, are always locked (unless we're in the back yard). So somebody is going to have to break in if I don't open the door for them. If they break in, they're in for a rude welcome.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    A variation used by gypsies (Travellers) is to come to the door selling services, yard work whatever. They have a couple of kids with them, the little one asks to use the bathroom. When inside, the kids steal while the adult keeps talking.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Front metal storm door is locked, both rear doors, metal storm door & deadbolt wooden door, are always locked (unless we're in the back yard). So somebody is going to have to break in if I don't open the door for them. If they break in, they're in for a rude welcome.
    Yep, me too. I've got decorative steel security storm doors (look like wrought iron) with deadbolts, as well as regular locks, both front and back. Our house isn't so big that someone is going to break in the back without me hearing them if I am at the front. And if I don't know you, or if you don't have a darn good reason, I'm not unlocking the deadbolt and opening the door. And I am always armed, as well.

Besides that, my next door neighbor has a dog that roams his back and side yard. He barks if anyone walks down the alley behind our houses or even across the street in front. Great watchdog and I don't even have to feed him! He barks, I look outside. No one is getting close without an advance warning. A lot of people would be irritated by a barking dog--I love it!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I either do not answer the door if somebody I don't know has knocked, or have terminated the conversation within 5-seconds of doing so.

Why would you even engage in conversation with somebody you don't know at your doorstep?
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links