Question: Bullet proofing walls, doors, etc..

This is a discussion on Question: Bullet proofing walls, doors, etc.. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last night our cat was live and kicking during the night. She made enough noise that I had to get up and check things out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Bullet proofing walls, doors, etc..

Last night our cat was live and kicking during the night. She made enough noise that I had to get up and check things out in the middle of the night. It's triggered a whole chain reaction of thoughts that have been with me all day today.

I got to thinking about a defensive gun use inside my house, and bullet penetration and what not. Long story short... I wanted to find "something" that I could line the insides of my kids rooms with to help reduce or stop over penetrating bullets from getting to them.

I did a little googling and I found this:

Bullet Resistant 1/4" Thick Fiberglass Panel Protection

That's the cheapest I've found... I was just wondering if there was anything else that you guys know of.

Thanks in advance
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

How about getting a ballistic blanket for you kid. Might be cheaper than lining an entire room with fiberglass panels. Just an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    How about getting a ballistic blanket for you kid. Might be cheaper than lining an entire room with fiberglass panels. Just an idea...
    See.... that's exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you.

Anything else?
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

There is a sound deadening sand that you can pour into walls. Sand makes a great bullet "slowerdown" or stopper.

601.00 for a panel... wow... and you can be the first one to review it

The liner is one option that I design into walls in cashier booths behind the gypsum board.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

I have no children in the house so I can shoot thru all the walls as I know how the house was designed and built. The wife will be right behind me while I am doing havoc on those that have invaded in the unlucky event that they get into the doors or windows without setting off the alarm and getting recorded on the 6 video cameras. When the alarm goes off all lights on the first level come on and everything on the second level goes off. I am not calling 911, but punching in the distress code into the alarm system to report the silent alarm. I will hunker down in the master suite with plenty of ammo and a cellphone talking to the dispatcher giving them the details of what is going on. It is gonna be hard to get thru a re-inforced bedroom door with double cross laid 2x4's on a solid wood door with re-enforced screws into the frame that is double wide (read that as 4 inches top to bottom). You aren't going to kick it open.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

8X4 ft of 1/4in sheet metel is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta96 View Post
    The liner is one option that I design into walls in cashier booths behind the gypsum board.
    I instal these or integrate them in my mill work when I do bank renovations. Actually have some at home now that was left over. Fun to shoot at too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I instal these or integrate them in my mill work when I do bank renovations. Actually have some at home now that was left over. Fun to shoot at too!
    Cost?

- Richard L. Johnson

VIP Member
    Depending on the ballistics level desired, there are a number of materials that I have used. Some materials can be used in combination. Common choices include poured in place reinforce concrete, fully grouted reinforced concrete masonry units. Grouted ceramic block, Lex-an, laminated glass, ballistic woven fiberglass, Kevlar and aluminum plate (superior to mild steel plate of the same thickness 1" or less). A ballistic level 3 is normally capable of stopping small arms up to and including .357 magnum.

Not even multiple layered Kevlar will stop high velocity rifle bullets caliber .223 or above. Additional ceramic plate inserts are often added to ballistic vests and have proven cable of stopping some bullets of 7.62 caliber. Even then, a person can sustain traumatic injury.

Most of these materials are not going to hold up to fragmenting explosive devices, shape charges, fire or smoke.

Quite honestly a trained armed nanny and the kids in Kevlar vests and helmets would be less expensive and about as practical as any of the materials listed above for an entire room enclosure for home defense.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Do a google search and there are a few YouTube videos showing bullets vs ceramic tiles.

BULLETS VS CERAMIC TILE

Very interesting results.. Overlapping layers of cheap (seconds) ceramic tile with duct tape coating will do a pretty good job of stopping most pistol rounds. If a panel of sheetrock was placed between the layers I think the setup would stop just about anything.

Cost of irregular tiles, duct tape and sheetrock would be within most budgets.

OMO

bosco

You can always use cement board or 5/8ths fire resistant board on the interior walls and fill in between with sand. Instead of 2x4 walls use 2x6. Sand works wonders for stopping sound, insulating and stopping bullets.

I'd worry that heavy sheets of metal plate would be a major safety issue if some natural disaster or a fire suddenly dislodged it to drop hundreds of pounds like a big fly-swatter on someone. I'd also think that the massive weight of loose sand inside walls would eventually settle and blow out most relatively thin drywall sooner or later.

An old LA precinct office building I once hung my hat in had its 4" thick interior walls (between the wall studs) drilled at the top (and lower holes as well when there was a cross member between studs) then filled to the top of each hole by pumping in wet-mixed "plaster of Paris" - or something that looked just like it. After it quickly set up, there wasn't nearly as much weight involved, the filling was solid with no constant pressure against the drywall like sand would apply, and it did a very good job of stopping .357 rounds on a number of "stupid incidents".

Plaster of Paris is an interesting idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links