Gun safe for apartment

This is a discussion on Gun safe for apartment within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm shopping for a gun safe for my handguns and long guns. I have no idea how difficult it is to move a safe that's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun safe for apartment

Gun safe for apartment

I'm shopping for a gun safe for my handguns and long guns. I have no idea how difficult it is to move a safe that's several hundred pounds. What is your recommendation on safe weight for an apartment that could be on the second floor or higher?

2. Remove Ads

I have a base model sentry 10 gun safe in my second floor apartment. Holds all my ammo and guns with room to spare. 3 rifles and 2 shotguns and 2 pistols. Fits nicely in the hall closet. No problem bringing it up the stairs with a friends help.

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    I have a base model sentry 10 gun safe in my second floor apartment. Holds all my ammo and guns with room to spare. 3 rifles and 2 shotguns and 2 pistols. Fits nicely in the hall closet. No problem bringing it up the stairs with a friends help.
    Do you think it's heavy enough that it would be difficult for a thief, or maybe a few, to carry out?

That's the thing, if it's easy for you to get it up the stairs, it'll be easy for thieves to get it down the stairs. The good news is, generally with any apartment that's above the ground floor, the front door is going to be the only access point. Your best bet is going to be to fortify that front door the best you can. The thing that's always scared me about living in an apartment, or any rental property for that matter, is that someone else will always have a key. Maybe that's never been a problem for most folks, but that idea has always made me uneasy.

Here is how you get it up the stairs, rent a utility dolly, invite your friends over, buy a case of beer and a few pizzas.

No safe is impervious, and given enough time, a thief can get into anything. If you can get it in, you can take it out, so basically you need to take steps to make it more difficult to take out. Probably the most important aspect of that is bolt the safe down, preferably on at least two sides (like the bottom and the back), so that it takes effort to rock off the anchors. Then adding weight to the safe is also not a bad idea.

Buy the most expensive, biggest safe you think you can handle. But make sure it will fit through all your doors and corners.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Check your lease before buying

The guys who sell safes usually have a delivery and installation service. The guys who sold me mine installed it with a battery-powered motorized tracked crawler that could go up or down stairs.

The other thing to consider is removing the door before lugging it upstairs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I think it's too heavy for one person by itself. Plus just a little bit of sweat on your hands will make you drop it. Just really awkward for one guy. You can bolt it to the floor though. It may keep you from getting a deposit back but you'd have your guns still. For me I don't have a deposit to loose so its bolted.

Also remember if a thief wants something bad enough he will get it no matter what you do. Most anti theft devices are just to slow them down.

I also have a Sentry 10-gun safe in my 3rd floor apt, but we have elevators, so I was able to bring it in by myself with a dolly. Mine is bolted to the wall and stores my 4 long guns and 6 handguns. My ammo is stored separately. Two loud barking dogs help with deterrence.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Google modular safes. Might be something to consider depending on what features you are looking for and price range. I think for an apartment these have an additional benefit of being delivered and carried into your apartment in several small boxes. No one will know you are bringing a safe in.

Glenn
    FAS1SAFE

I have a small pistol safe for my 2 handguns that is bolted to the floor. (No carrying it unless you take some floor with you. LOL)

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Weight isn't the answer. A secure box that is hard to pry open and light seems better suited for you. Get a stud finder and from the inside mount four 1/2 lag bolts with fender washers into the wall studs. When you move, fill the holes with spackle.

Quote Originally Posted by brian l View Post
    I'm shopping for a gun safe for my handguns and long guns. I have no idea how difficult it is to move a safe that's several hundred pounds. What is your recommendation on safe weight for an apartment that could be on the second floor or higher?
    Have you looked at Handgun and Long Gun Safes | Zanotti Armor®? They come apart and can be moved in pieces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links