This has been discussed before I am sure but

This is a discussion on This has been discussed before I am sure but within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I could not find a previous thread so here goes. What caliber of guns, handgun and rifle, would you want if all hell broke loose? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: This has been discussed before I am sure but

This has been discussed before I am sure but

I could not find a previous thread so here goes. What caliber of guns, handgun and rifle, would you want if all hell broke loose? I do not care about the brand of weapon but the caliber. I was thinking that 9mm would be the most common between friendly and enemy forces.
    For rifle, I have no idea what I should get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Frank.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    9mm and .308
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

.45 and .22mag
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

9mm is found everywhere so in that case I can see it as a good choice. I myself stock up on 45 acp.

my personal choice is 45 acp for pistol there is plenty of bulk 45 still around and 5.56mm for rifle..5.56 can fire both 5.56mm and 223...and there are TONS of that ammo. I would also venture to say a 12GA shotgun...that is very versital round. Slugs, buck whatever...

Thanks people, I was thinking 5.56 because it will fire that and 223. Thanks for your response, I do appreciate it.
    Frank.

.40 or 10mm, and .308

I wouldn't worry too much about the pistol caliber, if you stick to the the 9mm, .38/.357. .40 and .45 you'll be fine. 9mm Makarov, FN 5.7, .357 Sig - not so much.

Definitely include rimfires in your planning. Lots of rounds are inexpensive, take little space, and bricks of .22s can be a form of currency when social unrest means your banked money isn't available.

For rifle rounds, I'd say 5.56x45, .308 and 7.62x39 would be the most common. Depending on your thought process, hunting might be part of your SHTF planning, so some hunting ammo (i.e., soft point) might be wise t include in your supplies.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

sgb
    .45acp & 5.56x45mm
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Something that I have lots of ammo for.
    W9HDG likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Based strictly on ammo availability, for a handgun 9mm, in a rifle it is a toss up between 5.56 and 7.62X39.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Seeing as I have a .380 ACP, I would say that one for sure...Plus my .30-06, a 12 Ga, and a .22 LR (I'll carry the -06 and the .380ACP, My wife 12 Ga with 00 Buckshot, and my son the .22LR,) but we're talking a real emergency Bug out Thing right!

9mm Nato round for pistol (if you're talking about foreign invaders, etc). 7.62 x 39 (which they would probably have and you can buy bulk cheap at cheaper than dirt.com and it works, no matter if full of mud, or a dead zombie for a year, unlike the 5.56 that constantly require attention to run correctly). Would also choose 12ga with 0000 buck (much better than the 00 buck). These choices are base upon total ammo availability that you can pick up almost anywhere. I've found that the .45 is hard to get ammo for recently (because they're making them like hotcakes, but keep jacking the dang price through the ceiling). You will not find .380 ammo. It's the hottest "new" thing and just unobtainable on local shelves unless ordered and stockpiled. .22 Long-rifle would actually be my overall choice as you could do almost everything with it, including take out the bad guy and get his bigger commie firearm. 500+ rounds of it doesn't weight that much and it currently holds record of most BG's killed with as far as caliber goes. Just aim for the head and don't miss...

After following this thread I am considering adding a 22 to my arsenol...I never considered it much use for anything other then plinking...I dont mean to offend the die hard 22 guys, just I never considered its usefulness until you guys brought up some of the uses for it..

30.06 - long range targets; 12/20 ga - close in targets; 9mm - really close targets. Malotovs for those that don't go away!

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    5.56/.223

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links