Gun collector targeted, home invaded.

This is a discussion on Gun collector targeted, home invaded. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Carl Roudebush collected guns for years. The wrong people apparently found out about it. Carl was robbed at gunpoint handcuffed and put in his crawlspace. ...

Thread: Gun collector targeted, home invaded.

Gun collector targeted, home invaded.

Carl Roudebush collected guns for years. The wrong people apparently found out about it. Carl was robbed at gunpoint handcuffed and put in his crawlspace. They took his guns, his ammo and about $3K in cash.

Who knows how many guns you have? Who did they tell?

Here's the Story, with video, and audio of the 911 call.

The sheriff's deputy at the end of the video, wants us (the public) to put things in perspective... Can somebody tell me what she means?
    My perspective is: They come to my house to rob me? I have the right to shoot them until the threat is stopped. Don't try to take me to another location, tied up... You might as well kill me now.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    his lesson is more one of lack of preparedness

don't garage doors all have anti-closing 'eyes' at ground level to reverse the door to protect children---perhaps his door mechanism is 30 years old and pre-dates them

but if 2 men could hide so that they could get under a closing garage door than he did not do his job with an eye towards personal security and
    open the space up so as to not allow anyone to hide.

im shy on understanding his mindset as to not having a gun on his person. or failing that for whatever reason...hightened SA.

i wonder how long the thiefs' arrest records are?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    his lesson is more one of lack of preparedness

don't garage doors all have anti-closing 'eyes' at ground level to reverse the door to protect children---perhaps his door mechanism is 30 years old and pre-dates them

but if 2 men could hide so that they could get under a closing garage door than he did not do his job with an eye towards personal security and
    open the space up so as to not allow anyone to hide.

im shy on understanding his mindset as to not having a gun on his person. or failing that for whatever reason...hightened SA.

i wonder how long the thiefs' arrest records are?
    I agree with all your comments. Many, many people disable the safety eyes of their garage doors as keeping them aligned can sometimes be a hassle.

While it is a lack of preparedness on his part, it also may have to do with him telling too many people... or his own kids (grandkids or other kin) talking about a single "cool" gun he owns to a friend... who has a friend etc.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    He was a soft target. Don't be one.

He didn't even need heightened awareness to have avoided this, just basic awareness. I caught a snake trying to sneak into my garage last summer while I was pulling in.

How many watch their rear view mirrors when stopped at a traffic light?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I agree with all your comments. Many, many people disable the safety eyes of their garage doors as keeping them aligned can sometimes be a hassle.

While it is a lack of preparedness on his part, it also may have to do with him telling too many people... or his own kids (grandkids or other kin) talking about a single "cool" gun he owns to a friend... who has a friend etc.
    a quandary i was in when i decided to be an instructor

as in---he'd have guns, right??

even though i work on referral only ( some exceptions; i trust my gut feelings) im known for 2 blocks in any direction as the 'gunnie guy'
    this was driven home to me many years ago as people i would associate with a certain car and belonging to a certain house would, im walking the dog,
    stop and the conversation would sometimes go in that direction. nice way to get students but you need to be aware that others are
    aware of you--and what you do. and they talk to other people who talk to other people...

-----------------------
    How many watch their rear view mirrors when stopped at a traffic light?

start looking to the rear as you apply your brakes to make sure the car behind you is also slowing. when done in time, blowing your horn can wake up the driver behind ua.
    i really don't want to meet them in traffic
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Links