The Laws and the BS

This is a discussion on The Laws and the BS within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Bear.357 They also require that the gun not be loaded while sleeping and that you have to place the mag. into it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Laws and the BS

Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    They also require that the gun not be loaded while sleeping and that you have to place the mag. into it and cock it in order to legally assure you are awake enough to perform any actions with it.
    Complete and utter nonsense. Where are you getting this stuff?

Do you actually have a CT permit?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I'm headed to CT tomorrow for school stuff, and I'm not too happy about it. No gun, no knife, and none of the wonderful self defense laws from PA and WV.
    You know that CT issues non-resident permits, right? If you're serious about carrying there, it's worth the modest extra effort.

And why no knife? Folders up to 3 inch blade length are fine.

I currently reside in AZ (talk about "wonderful self defense laws"...) but in the past commuted between the former CT home and here. Never had any problems with gun or knife transport or carry back there.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Call CT state police and they will tell you the same. lookup news paper articles for CT. like I said what is written and what is followed varies drastically. Or just ask an NRA instructor for CT who is also CT Police trainer. I'm sure we can find one on here.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

To comment on the knife thing, the knife has to be easily visible and can't be kept in the pocket or its considered a concealed weapon regardless of length of blade. Come to CT, get pulled over, good luck. lol
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

Distinguished Member
    CT law states that a person needs to store the firearm securely if they reasonably believe that a minor could gain access to the firearm.

Sec. 29-37i. (Formerly Sec. 29-37c). Responsibilities re storage of loaded firearms with respect to minors. No person shall store or keep any loaded firearm on any premises under his control if he knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor unless such person (1) keeps the firearm in a securely locked box or other container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or (2) carries the firearm on his person or within such close proximity thereto that he can readily retrieve and use it as if he carried it on his person. For the purposes of this section, "minor" means any person under the age of sixteen years.
    And then if the minor gains access and injures or kills someone a person would be guilty of:

Sec. 53a-217a. Criminally negligent storage of a firearm: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of criminally negligent storage of a firearm when he violates the provisions of section 29-37i and a minor obtains the firearm and causes the injury or death of himself or any other person. For the purposes of this section, "minor" means any person under the age of sixteen years.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry to any premises by any person.

(c) Criminally negligent storage of a firearm is a class D felony.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Call CT state police and they will tell you the same. lookup news paper articles for CT. like I said what is written and what is followed varies drastically. Or just ask an NRA instructor for CT who is also CT Police trainer. I'm sure we can find one on here.
    My former hunting partner is an NRA instructor in Terryville and nothing of the kind (unload the gun while sleeping) is in the curriculum. Show some case law.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

To comment on the knife thing, the knife has to be easily visible and can't be kept in the pocket or its considered a concealed weapon regardless of length of blade. Come to CT, get pulled over, good luck. lol
    Shaking head in wonderment, here...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

They also require that the gun not be loaded while sleeping and that you have to place the mag. into it and cock it in order to legally assure you are awake enough to perform any actions with it.
    All I can say is:
    doublefacepalm.jpg

Distinguished Member
    Cite me a law where it says blade length doesn't matter. This is the law I was taught and follow:

Sec. 53-206. Carrying of dangerous weapons prohibited. (a) Any person who carries upon his or her person any BB. gun, blackjack, metal or brass knuckles, or any dirk knife, or any switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, or stiletto, or any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or more in length, any police baton or nightstick, or any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than three years or both. Whenever any person is found guilty of a violation of this section, any weapon or other instrument within the provisions of this section, found upon the body of such person, shall be forfeited to the municipality wherein such person was apprehended, notwithstanding any failure of the judgment of conviction to expressly impose such forfeiture.
    Edit: to be clear I'm referring to folders with the 4" length. Autos are illegal with blade lengths over 1.5" as per above.

VIP Member
    We had, till around end of Dec., a frequent participant here, user name Mitchell CT. He is a practicing attorney in Bridgeport and
    particularly familiar with CT law and real world practice.

He seems to have disappeared from here unfortunately.

I'm uncertain if it is possible to dig out a real name or phone number or a real email address for him; but he'd be a superb person for you to direct questions to, especially if he were to return to grace this board with his presence once again.

The only screwy thing I recall about CT handgun laws ---from the one time I considered getting a non-resident permit (before I realized I couldn't safely get to CT through NJ and NY) was that the permit had to be on you even in your front yard.

BTW Bear, Gasmitty is one of the most knowledgeable people who hang out here, and he is as best I can tell from his posts,
    a truly straight good man whose comments can be relied upon to be accurate. If he is telling you that you are mistaken, or that someone gave you information which was wrong, you can bet on Gasmitty being right.

Now, where's Mitchell when we need him? Anyone know? Dang, I once had his real name and phone number for his law firm but
    I have no idea what I did with it; I really wanted a Middlesex County lawyer for the minor matter I had consulted with Mitchell about.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member
    Hop check your PMs.

This is good stuff, now i have something to talk about with my local trooper. My fiances brother was arrested with a knife under 3in in his pocket and it was tacked on as a concealed weapons charge because it was not readily visible to the officer. Many times back in the day the same thing happened to buddies of mine. What I am getting from all this is that CT is either corrupt or some officers are making the law as they go.

I'm not saying he's lying I'm actually enjoying this and could even be getting some nice evidenciary support here.

Distinguished Member
    This is good stuff, now i have something to talk about with my local trooper. My fiances brother was arrested with a knife under 3in in his pocket and it was tacked on as a concealed weapons charge because it was not readily visible to the officer. Many times back in the day the same thing happened to buddies of mine. What I am getting from all this is that CT is either corrupt or some officers are making the law as they go.
    If it was an automatic/spring released knife it has to be 1.5" of less... other knives are 4" or less

Distinguished Member
    My question is what did your fiances brother do to get frisked?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links