The Laws and the BS

This is a discussion on The Laws and the BS within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Also to throw this out there, I was told that if you have a posted sign on your property (beware of dog, or , trespassers ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Laws and the BS

Also to throw this out there, I was told that if you have a posted sign on your property (beware of dog, or , trespassers will be shot on sight) that it actually gives you legal grounds when/if something similar to what is posted happens. Also told this by state police who forced me to put up a sign about my surveillance camera.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Done, and responded. Check you messages too. I think you got it right.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

He was driving an old sterling with a load exhaust and looked "suspicouse"
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    Also to throw this out there, I was told that if you have a posted sign on your property (beware of dog, or , trespassers will be shot on sight) that it actually gives you legal grounds when/if something similar to what is posted happens. Also told this by state police who forced me to put up a sign about my surveillance camera.
    No comment. You would have to ask an attorney about that. Always take free legal advice from an officer with a grain of salt (you get what you pay for), it's best to talk to an attorney for legal advice.
    BkCo1 and ep1953 like this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Done, and responded. Check you messages too. I think you got it right.
    got it, replied back. :)
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    Duh!!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by 'something similar to what is posted happens' means. You certainly are free to post your property or even get the State Troopers to post it for you--- we did that when I was younger and I have no idea if they'll still oblige. That said, your use of force is going to be legal or illegal based on the facts of the moment, not whether or not you hung up a sigh. Trespassing by itself isn't a "killing" offense. You don't shoot trespassers. You shoot to stop a threat.

Trespassers, you call the cops. (Your mileage may vary by individual state law, but the moral principle holds).
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

So does anyone know how that bill H.R. 822 is going? I know it passed the house

VIP Member
    So does anyone know how that bill H.R. 822 is going? I know it passed the house
    They'll hang a sign on I-95 at the Greenwich- Portchester - Rye boundary to let you know; NO GUNS ALLOWED IN NY NO MATTER WHAT CONGRESS SAYS. It will be in 14 font Arial; white on grey background; set back from the road at least 75 feet.
    I heard that from a NYC City Council member who knows at CT State Trooper.
    fastk9dad likes this.
    Andrew Jackson

And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I think its BS that in CT if there's an Intruder in my house I have to retreat to my room and tell the intruder I am armed and only when they come at me with deadly force can I legally do something. I say if there's someone in my house why can't I do what i think is right and worry about the laws later? who is to say whether or not I felt like my loved ones or I were in immanent danger. Especially if he/she were to attack my dog or something which I know wouldn't retreat to the room with us. I think all lawmakers should be put in the situation first then make a logical decision about how it is "suppose to" go down.
    Many laws are BS. Then there are those laws created out of BS. Then there are those times BS might catch us and laws will put us away. Truth is....most laws are BS unless they are enforced. Many members of law enforcement don't know the laws so where does that put us? You're on the edge of interpretation from someone who has a day job and mildly concerned with the status quo. Dangerous mix nowadays....especially when many of our law enforcement have been living on low wages and resorting to other means of financial gain. Politics? Election year once again......when was the last time you heard about a school shooting? Last election year? Look.......it's all BS anymore. Don't matter where you live. One thing you can always count on is saving your own life despite what anyone else tells you. I can't say that life in prison for you is better than dying. I can only make this decision for myself. I would go to prison knowing that I took away someone that was willing and ready to take my life and others if they were successful. Any righteous law abiding American citizen still has the right to continue to LIVE on their own despite what laws can't do for them. Law is just a word these days.....many times that simple, single....one syllable word can be your demise. Why is that and how did this happen? Get back to basics for God's sake. Simple law says you live or die. The Good Lord demands that we survive. One simple solution........listen to yourself and quite taking in the BS that's tearing you apart. Do what you need to when it's time. Trivial stuff always gets in the way.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

VIP Member
    So Bear, from your other thread (where we found out we are almost neighbors) I have a pretty darn good idea where you live. Maybe the world is changing, but crime has not usually been a big issue where you are living. Sure, there have been petty burglaries mostly of copper pipe and wire, usually the abandoned old hotels, sure that means there are teens using, but its not like you've got big time crime where you are.

I don't live that far away and I leave my door unlocked when I'm away.

Seriously, what are you afraid of that you are now concerned about arming yourself with a handgun when you sleep?

[ Nothing wrong with that, I presently keep one handy all the time,] but I'm asking because you seemed a bit emotional in your first post. Like it is really really important to you to sleep with a gun and have been told its a no no.

Its not like they find bodies in the lake. Maybe my eyeglasses will turn up.

Send me a private message if you like, but I have a hunch something is going on in your life, and a gun isn't the answer.

Maybe that was the real message that trooper was trying to give you? Was it one of the EH Resident Tropers? Troop K guys?

What's going on?
    gasmitty likes this.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I agree with Ram
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

If you kill an intruder in your home and get convicted of murder you might be an idiot.

I think its BS that in CT if there's an Intruder in my house I have to retreat to my room and tell the intruder I am armed and only when they come at me with deadly force can I legally do something. I say if there's someone in my house why can't I do what i think is right and worry about the laws later? who is to say whether or not I felt like my loved ones or I were in immanent danger. Especially if he/she were to attack my dog or something which I know wouldn't retreat to the room with us. I think all lawmakers should be put in the situation first then make a logical decision about how it is "suppose to" go down.
    So, after you retreat to your room and loudly announce to me that you are in your room and are armed, you have to wait there until he comes in? He is free to do whatever he wants knowing that you are not allowed to come out and harm him?

Michael

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    my take on "home invasion" is not as narrow as yours.

but it warrants looking into. i see my lawyer shooting friend most fridays.
    i'll put some questions to him...
    Hopyard likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links