The Laws and the BS

This is a discussion on The Laws and the BS within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I said this in another post..."Time for Two Men and a Truck"....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Laws and the BS

I said this in another post..."Time for Two Men and a Truck".
    Hopyard likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Officer, I told the BG 3 times I was armed and prepared to defend myself before I shot him dead. Ask him."

Who's to say otherwise?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    I think its BS that in CT if there's an Intruder in my house I have to retreat to my room and tell the intruder I am armed and only when they come at me with deadly force can I legally do something. I say if there's someone in my house why can't I do what i think is right and worry about the laws later? who is to say whether or not I felt like my loved ones or I were in immanent danger. Especially if he/she were to attack my dog or something which I know wouldn't retreat to the room with us. I think all lawmakers should be put in the situation first then make a logical decision about how it is "suppose to" go down.
    You need to work with Pro Gun organizations in CT and start in on your people in power to get that changed. Most states have recognized that the breaking and entering of your home is sufficient reason to fear for your life and defend it. Being in New England hurts you, but bordering MA hurts more. Don't let that mentality creep in. CT is starting to act that way, especially after last years attempted high cap mag ban. Who knows whats next? Believe me as a MA native, it will happen fast when it happens. Start fighting now! If your not already a member join the CCDL and see what you can do to help Welcome to the CCDL
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    @Bear?? You wrote: "Also told this by state police who forced me to put up a sign about my surveillance camera."

I am not appropriately familiar with CT law because I live there only part of the year. Now, assuming what your wrote is true, there are a couple of possibilities. 1) The law requires a sign to go with a surveillance camera. That might make sense as something the state would do to protect privacy. Big deal. Signs are cheap.

2) The state trooper is sending you some sort of message about how he sees your efforts to "protect" your home and yourself. I think he might be trying to keep you out of trouble.

Maybe he hasn't been clear. Maybe he is just wrong. Maybe he is trying to protect you from yourself. I have no idea what is going on.

You have two State Troopers located 2-3 miles roughly from where you live with offices near The Bridge.
    You have Officer "M" (you should be able to figure out who I mean), and he sure seems like a fine man to me.

You should be able to talk man to man with any of them about security issues you may have.

Perhaps they have misstated the law. Well, if you think that's the case you can go into Middletown and have a quick meeting with criminal defense lawyer; one lives (or used to live) right near Smith RD & MT P. I don't know if he still practices in Middletown. I can look him up and send you his name by private message. There is a general practice lawyer in Chester; good guy. His initials are P. C.

You have lots of ways to resolve your concerns, while staying fully legal, and informing yourself about the law.

I stated somewhere else that there is an FFL probably about half a mile from where you are.
    Find that guy and see if he can help you understand the handgun laws. There is another FFL
    out on 151 near Salem. There are several in East Hampton; I had a great chat with one of them
    last year but I don't have his phone number and can't recall his name. These folks probably can help you understand the law too. I know the one in East Hampton helped me out quite a bit.
    There is one out near Salem off 151.

You have plenty of resources available to you to learn what the truth is about CT firearms, carry licenses, and self-defense law are.

Bear, you live in what I consider one of the best places in the whole world. I've crashed bikes into "every tree and landed on every rock." And I love every one of them. Stay safe man.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    About.com: http://www.jud.state.ct.us/LawLib/Law/firearms.htm

if your answer is not ( hiding somewhere) here, than it needs to be re-phrased.

sometimes the lack of a clear answer stems from how it is phrased--or rather, misphrased.

my friend did not go on the clock with this bit of advice--
    you do what you have to to survive an unwanted encounter;
    than i'll do mine if its necessary.

simply put; i think he wants me to stay alive and be able to help him make his yacht payments
    Hopyard likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I appreciate all the input from everyone. I'm starting to think that maybe what I've been told from local authorities is just their personal interpretations of the laws. Which is usually how it endsup but it definitely nice to hear from all of you and your takes on the situation. To keep it simple and not too personal, I'm sort of what you would call security management for properties and would like to know exactly how to do so lawfully. I think I'll take hopyards' advice and talk to some local defense lawyers just to make sure though.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

Oh, that's rich.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I would do what the BGs forced me to do,,,, & would rather to be tried by 12
    for protecting my family than carried by 6 & leave my family unprotected in
    the mercy of the BGs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    I appreciate all the input from everyone. I'm starting to think that maybe what I've been told from local authorities is just their personal interpretations of the laws. Which is usually how it endsup but it definitely nice to hear from all of you and your takes on the situation. To keep it simple and not too personal, I'm sort of what you would call security management for properties and would like to know exactly how to do so lawfully. I think I'll take hopyards' advice and talk to some local defense lawyers just to make sure though.
    Got your private message and sent you a long reply. JAS in Middletown. Mitchell in Bridgeport. Maybe a quick chat with PC in Chester.

If you haven't burned bridges with the resident state troopers, I'd go talk to them (I think their office is across from Goodspeed in the Town Hall) about your security concerns; I'd also talk to
    that officer M I told you about though I am not sure your place is in his area of concern.

Shotguns my friend. Save yourself the trouble and bother of CT handgun laws, keep 'em handy, keep em loaded.

And remember what I told you--- I leave my doors unlocked. They aren't finding bodies in the lake. Not the one near you, not the other big one, and not the one down near where Hopyard hails from.

In almost 70 years on earth, I've only heard of 1 murder in that town.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links