The Laws and the BS

The Laws and the BS

This is a discussion on The Laws and the BS within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think its BS that in CT if there's an Intruder in my house I have to retreat to my room and tell the intruder ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Laws and the BS

The Laws and the BS

I think its BS that in CT if there's an Intruder in my house I have to retreat to my room and tell the intruder I am armed and only when they come at me with deadly force can I legally do something. I say if there's someone in my house why can't I do what i think is right and worry about the laws later? who is to say whether or not I felt like my loved ones or I were in immanent danger. Especially if he/she were to attack my dog or something which I know wouldn't retreat to the room with us. I think all lawmakers should be put in the situation first then make a logical decision about how it is "suppose to" go down.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    I say if there's someone in my house why can't I do what i think is right and worry about the laws later?
    Well, you CAN do just that.
    atctimmy likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Sounds like Conn. needs to catch up.

We had laws like that. It was like someone needed to actually shoot you before you could prove that they meant you harm and could shoot back.

Now, the laws are much better..... now, if someone illegally enters an occupied home, or business, they are automcatically assumed a threat. Vehicles are included in the same statutes as your home, and considered the same.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The voters in CT elect the people who pass the laws. If you don't like the laws get some new folks in office. If you are in the minority in the state, and think it will never change, you don't have much choice other than to live with it or leave.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Complain to your CT legislators.

Keep in mind that a duty to retreat has been the law in a great many places until recently.
    Even TX and FL didn't have a castle -doctrine -like law or a stand your ground law until quite
    recently.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

We were ok, pretty much in in regards to one's home before 2007, they just did a good thing and added vehicle and business, and the stand your ground portion.

Things keep getting better here in Texas.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    You need to push your legislature for a good “castle doctrine” law, someone breaking into your home whether they are armed or not have no intentions of good will and will not be collecting for the Red Cross or any other organizations.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I think its BS that in CT if there's an Intruder in my house I have to retreat to my room and tell the intruder I am armed and only when they come at me with deadly force can I legally do something.
    Are you certain about that?

Although CT doesn't have a 'castle doctrine' law, when I did my early defensive training with (LFI-1, w/ Messrs. Cornwall & Nalband as well as Ayoob) that was a topic, and there was no specific duty to retreat if you were threatened with grievous bodily harm while in your own home. Do you know for a fact that that has changed? Or are you saying that you just want to be able to shoot an intruder?
    Hopyard likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Are you certain about that?

Although CT doesn't have a 'castle doctrine' law, when I did my early defensive training with (LFI-1, w/ Messrs. Cornwall & Nalband as well as Ayoob) that was a topic, and there was no specific duty to retreat if you were threatened with grievous bodily harm while in your own home. Do you know for a fact that that has changed? Or are you saying that you just want to be able to shoot an intruder?
    I was going to ask the same question. Is there statutory or case law in CT that requires one to retreat inside one's own home? Like every state in the union (except LA), CT law is based on English Common Law. It was generally accepted under common law that one's home was one's castle and one had no duty to retreat while inside it.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

If someone comes crashing into my home, or forces there way in and my family is in danger 2 shots to the chest and 1 between the running lights! I'm prepared for the paperwork or even a night in jail! The memory of the family being murdered where the father lived, the perps got the death sentence. But the poor father has to live with it for the rest of his life!! Nope, sorry not me! I'll die protecting or do the time.

Sounds like a he said/they said thing. But, the fact being only you, GOD and the bad guy know what happened. I'd shoot and just say I WAS retreating when he was shot. Government being the baby-sitter ain't cutting with me, I'll do what I gotta do!

My reading of CT laws, there isn't a requirement to retreat in ones own home or work.

Sec. 53a-19. Use of physical force in defense of person. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this section, a person is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of physical force, and he may use such degree of force which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose; except that deadly physical force may not be used unless the actor reasonably believes that such other person is (1) using or about to use deadly physical force, or (2) inflicting or about to inflict great bodily harm.

(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a) of this section, a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person if he knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety (1) by retreating, except that the actor shall not be required to retreat if he is in his dwelling, as defined in section 53a-100, or place of work and was not the initial aggressor, or if he is a peace officer or a private person assisting such peace officer at his direction, and acting pursuant to section 53a-22, or (2) by surrendering possession of property to a person asserting a claim of right thereto, or (3) by complying with a demand that he abstain from performing an act which he is not obliged to perform.
    If you have a gun and intend on using it in your defense, you really should learn the laws of your state. If you have your CHL and went through a class to learn the laws of your state and don't know them, either you didn't pay attention or you had a crappy instructor. It took me all of 1 minute to find the CT law.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'm headed to CT tomorrow for school stuff, and I'm not too happy about it. No gun, no knife, and none of the wonderful self defense laws from PA and WV.

Ct written law to CT state law to local law varies drastically, especially to what is enforced/followed. Just like its perfectly legal to open carry but you will be arrested for breach of peace if you do. Also you become the aggressor once your gun is drawn according to CT State Police (all in area) and by doing so have to retreat in order to not be considered the aggressor anymore. They also require that the gun not be loaded while sleeping and that you have to place the mag. into it and cock it in order to legally assure you are awake enough to perform any actions with it. Reasonable physical force is not reasonable to me, if they are actually physically injured by this so said reasonable force it is now considered unreasonable deadly force. which is also explicitly repeated in the local permit packet. Just like by having more than 6 years formal hand combat training, I am forced to either retreat first or let them hit me first in order to defend myself and then if they get injured by such force I get screwed because i know how to apply force (experienced first hand). But I do agree if there's just my family and the intruder who's to say what happened the way it happened if he's no more or there's multiple witnesses against what he says.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

Ct written law to CT state law to local law varies drastically. Just like its perfectly legal to open carry but you will be arrested for breach of peace if you do. Also you become the aggressor once your gun is drawn according to CT State Police (all in area) and by doing so have to retreat in order to not be considered the aggressor anymore. They also require that the gun not be loaded while sleeping and that you have to place the mag. into it and cock it in order to legally assure you are awake enough to perform any actions with it. Reasonable physical force is not reasonable to me, if they are actually physically injured by this so said reasonable force it is now considered unreasonable deadly force. which is also explicitly repeated in the local permit packet. Just like by having more than 6 years formal hand combat training, I am forced to either retreat first or let them hit me first in order to defend myself and then if they get injured by such force I get screwed because i know how to apply force (experienced first hand). But I do agree if there's just my family and the intruder who's to say what happened the way it happened if he's no more or there's multiple witnesses against what he says.
    Can you provide the statutes that state what you have said?
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links