Things that go bump in the night - Page 2

Things that go bump in the night

This is a discussion on Things that go bump in the night within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hearing voices outside. I live on a fairly quiet street and that definitely gets my attention after 10pm. The dog barking full tilt at the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Things that go bump in the night

Hearing voices outside. I live on a fairly quiet street and that definitely gets my attention after 10pm.

The dog barking full tilt at the door. That happened only once but it was at 1130pm. I think I grabbed my pistol in mid-flight! I was in the hall before I even thought about it with my pistol pointed at the front door. She stopped barking after a minute but kept acting nervous. I looked out the window in the next room (overlooks the deck and door) and there was no one there, but I still suspect someone came up and then heard a 50lb beast let loose some hefty barks and decided to book it.

I had my smoke alarm go off once about four months back at 145 in the morning. It turns out that the batteries were dying, but instead of a low beep it let out the full shrill. I didn't calm down enough to get back to sleep until almost four o'clock. That was probably the worst sinking feeling I have ever felt.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I have been on this site a while but one thing that does not seen to come up is the sounds that make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.
    Roseanne Barr singing.

That is what we are talking about, right?
    mano3 likes this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

When the dogs alert rather than just bark at something I can't hear or for whatever reason they do at times. The "alert" is unmistakable. Its a low growl that makes me sit up and listen.

And I have had them go nuts when the surround sound goes across the room!
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Our Guineas will set off the dogs, which gets me up with the 870. Nothing strange gets by those birds.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Well the house is just shy of 110 years old so it makes every sound in the books, especially at night, and especially in the winter when the heat kicks on and off. There are also a handful of unwelcome furry critters that tend to move around from time to time, sleeping on the second floor I occasionally hear them scurrying across the attic. Darn things...trap one and then 5 more show up!

No animals and I sleep relatively light, so I wake up for the interesting noises.

One night I was awakened by the sound of the deadbolt being flipped on the door leading into our garage near my bedroom. It was really loud and woke me up. I was home alone as the wife was out of town. I grabbed my bedside 45 and pointed it towards the open bedroom door. I was certain someone had entered the house. With my heart pounding so hard I couldn't hear anything, I layed in bed shaking the entire time with my 45 still pointed at the doorway. After about 5 minutes of silence I crept out of bed and checked out the house. Nothing.....everything was as it should have been.

The sound was so real....loud, crisp and unmistakable. I drempt it. That's the only explanation. But it got me thinking as to how I should prepare and practice for the real thing. It also gave me the real feeling of adrenalin dump...shakes, head pounding, etc. very real experience. I know a real encounter will have a huge impact on my ability to react.

Anyone else experience this?
    oldnfat likes this.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

I don't worry too much about listening for sounds at night, I let our Irish Wolfhound earn her keep.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Besides neighbors who are into midnight shopping, we have lots of bears who test your hearing. One night after a few instances of having our gas siphoned. I had mixed a 3 gl can of gas with clear Karo syrup to leave by the garage. I had dropped the glass bottle on the concrete where the garage door came down. That night the motion sensor for driveway/garage went off at zero dark thirty. I went outside expecting to see someone around my garage. It was a 400+lb bear. He was pushing in my garage door and licking the concrete where the syrup bottle was dropped.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

In the home this is where the DOG really shines.

Distinguished Member
    Yep, I have also had this happen. Has occured several times in the past 6mo. Couple of nights ago Iwas awakened when I "heard" someone rattle the front security door knob, 1:30 am. Layed quiet for a minute or so. Dogs not barking, no other sounds. Peeked out the window and saw nothing. Very convincing dream. Gotta be some really complicated reason for this happening. Eh, maybe not.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Yep, I have also had this happen. Has occured several times in the past 6mo. Couple of nights ago Iwas awakened when I "heard" someone rattle the front security door knob, 1:30 am. Layed quiet for a minute or so. Dogs not barking, no other sounds. Peeked out the window and saw nothing. Very convincing dream. Gotta be some really complicated reason for this happening. Eh, maybe not.
    I've given up trying to figure dreams out, let alone real life! But it is very disconcerting non the less.....Thanks for sharing!

Awoke to a loud pounding on my front door the other night. Jumped out of bed, grabbed the shotgun and gave the wife the XD-40 and told her to get into the youngest's room. The police officer was polite enough to stand partially in front of the window next to my front door. Once I was sure it was actually LEOs I put the shotgun next to the frame and opened the door. They had a burglar in the car and noticed my garage open so stopped by to ask if anything was missing and let me know it was opened. It was about 50 degrees outside. All I had on was shorts and I swear I was sweating from the adrenaline.

My wife wakes up easier than me, she generally gets to assess the situation. If the alarm goes off that also gets me to fly out of bed.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Awoke to a loud pounding on my front door the other night. Jumped out of bed, grabbed the shotgun and gave the wife the XD-40 and told her to get into the youngest's room. The police officer was polite enough to stand partially in front of the window next to my front door. Once I was sure it was actually LEOs I put the shotgun next to the frame and opened the door. They had a burglar in the car and noticed my garage open so stopped by to ask if anything was missing and let me know it was open.
    Holy Mary! Had he been in your garage?!

Not much goes bump in the night around my house and if it is out back the neighbors heelers light up and those little boogers are LOUD. As for the front of my house I live on a cul-de-sac with only 2 other houses and we all can see the circle from the front of the houses and it is pretty well lit. My dogs are a mixed bag for alerting to strange noises, my pound puppy harley won't even twitch if you blow my door with C-4 but Usada my lab mix will make you believe she is chewing through the front door to eat you alive...lol. I don't think she would attack but I'd rather not chance it as they are the alert system and I am the security or defense measures.
    Libertas Vel Mors

Nothing gets a guys attention like the sound of a shotgun being racked on a still night. What raises the hair on my neck is the low growl of a dog who hears something she doesn't like. More wakeup in that than any cup of coffee.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links