Things that go bump in the night

This is a discussion on Things that go bump in the night within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been on this site a while but one thing that does not seen to come up is the sounds that make the hair ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Things that go bump in the night

I have been on this site a while but one thing that does not seen to come up is the sounds that make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. I read an article in one of the rags I get and the man was a border agent and one night he came up on an illegal crossing. In the process he racked a shotgun and one of the things he noticed was the men were terrified but the woman didn’t seem to be fazed. He realized was the woman never heard a shotgun racking and didn’t associate the sound with a gun.

That got me to thinking what sounds make the hair on the back of your neck to stand up. We live in a world of sound, when I was growing up we had a 3 story house that was over a 100 years old and it was musical at night. It might have made noise in the day time but seem to amplify at night. The dark makes noises more interesting for some reason.

Here is a one story ranch style house there is not as much settling like that old 3 story house so I hear a lot more of what is happening around the neighborhood and there has been a couple of times I go outside with a flashlight and gun looking for trouble. So am I the only one who hears things that is making me creep? How adjusted to noise did we get that we ignore it just to find out that someone was in our space be it a back yard / drive way / front porch up to no good . Even my dog has got to the point that noise of the city becomes normal.

How do you deal with the sounds in your world? what does it take for you to get up and take a look?

I suppose for me the sound of my dog barking causes the most alarm in me. Sure glass breaking or a thud would do it also but between the cat being a cat and my dog being my early warning system the dog barking gets my attention. Now sometimes the cat likes to barf stuff up in the middle of the night but that alarms me for another reason (bedside flashlight comes in handy when trying to avoid the wet mushy mines).

Yes it is fairly common knowledge that one of the worst sounds to hear is the sound of a pump action shotgun, especially if you are not the one working the action.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Between my dog and my wife, I am notified of every sound at night! That's why I take a nap in the daytime.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

When someone was pounding on my sliding glass door at 3 am a month ago it was more then just a bump in the night. Turned out to be a woman running from a domestic assault.

VIP Member
    I woke the other night to somebody whistling a tune in my house (wife and kid were asleep). It was a happy tune that I'm familiar with, which made it all the more creepy.

I go downstairs and realize it's the cockatiel that we're pet-sitting for a neighbor. I had no idea it did that.

It also was unimpressed by my firearm.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Sounds can really start to play mind games on a person. I have learned to trust my dogs and let the threat come to me where I have more control.

Thinking about them only makes you lose sleep and if you keep it up long enough you will be so tired you will hear a sound that normally alarms you but when it wakes you, you just stay in bed because at that point at least if someone kills you, you can get some much needed rest. This is my opinion based on years ago.

I don't pay much minds to sounds in my house. It is 3 floors and somebody is always moving somewhere in the house whether 2 legged kind or our 4 legged kind. In the woods in NH we have branches falling on the deck, pine cones and acorns falling on the roof. Wind howling and making there own sounds. House is 40 years old so it creaks and moans. On a cold night it we can here voices from neighboring properties which are far away.
    I go by my dog barking or when my security system alerts me to something.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I woke the other night to somebody whistling a tune in my house (wife and kid were asleep). It was a happy tune that I'm familiar with, which made it all the more creepy.

I go downstairs and realize it's the cockatiel that we're pet-sitting for a neighbor. I had no idea it did that.

Too funny; we have birds to and they really test you. We had a parakeet that talked and it did it in the middle of the night. We would wake up to voices and think someone was in the house... it sure is hard to go back to sleep after that happens

Hope your choice of a firearm was a shotgun, you'd probably empty a magazine trying to hit that under stress.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Hope your choice of a firearm was a shotgun, you'd probably empty a magazine trying to hit that under stress.
    It was a 1911 loaded with 230gr hp's. It woulda been ugly.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar

Pull
    miklcolt45 likes this.

VIP Member
    I have three small kids so somebody is always flopping, flipping, banging or bumping at night. If I really need to get some sleep sometimes I have to resort to earplugs.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Hearing my dogs growling would be scary and hopfully extra scary for the BG.

Hearing our security system alarm would be scary as well...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

The title was just about sounds, this has nothing to do with night sounds in the house; but a rattlesnake about 3 feet from your leg will sure send shivers up your spine!

Just last night I was watching TV when on screen someone opened a bottle of wine. The sound effect was similar to an old creaky door. Both of my dogs lit up going crazy and ran towards my front door. The sound had tricked me too and I Goth off the couch and grabbed my pistol.

All to a sound effect!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links