Wisconsin home invasion and shooting

This is a discussion on Wisconsin home invasion and shooting within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Think long before you make up your mind on this one. No decision made yet on possible charges from deadly Slinger shooting - TODAY'S TMJ4 ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Wisconsin home invasion and shooting

Think long before you make up your mind on this one.
    No decision made yet on possible charges from deadly Slinger shooting - TODAY'S TMJ4
    The Libs want the shooter in jail for ever.
    The 20 year old that was shot is not the nice kid they are making him out to be they close off the site with his record on it.
    My take is while it is sad someone is dead the fact is it is his fault. The one going to jail should be those that supplied the booze to the minors.
    They are responsible for his death not the home owner.

I agree that the host of the under age party needs to be prosecuted. From what I've seen they home owner was justified in the shooting but the entire story isn't out and the friends/family of the deceased are providing the media with plenty of ammo to make it sound like it wasn't a justified shooting.

I love the "Shoot him in the leg and call 911" comment yup because shooting to disable works!

While it was unfortunate loss of life, it was not the homeowners fault. How were they to know what the intent was of the young man? Even before the Castle Doctrine, many cases of home owners shooting people breaking in or just being in their home where they are not supposed to be have gone with no prosecution and rightly so! If you have to stop and ask what they are doing there or try to assess their intent, you will be dead. Reviewing the young man's record shows he has been in trouble with the law multiple times with drugs, disorderly conduct, and under age drinking. Ask yourself, are you going to shoot first or be hurt or even shot by an intruder because you tried to figure out their intent and if the person in your house or property is there simply hiding from the police or there to do harm to you and your family?

This will be interesting to keep an eye on.

"We were hiding from the cops..." Silly kids!

More on my take. Keep in mind I find no fault with the home owner.
    I have cleared a few buildings in my day, with some BG's in them that make your city dope dealers look tame.
    If it had been my house I would not have gone out looking for the intruder I would have waited for him to come to me. That is just my call and I will not enforce it on anyone else.
    This is another case where my Dog would be of big help. How you ask? well if he had been in the house it's self and not the porch part the dog would have been trying to eat him.
    If he had gotten in to the room we were in he would not have finished a step. If he left the police would have found me behind an object ready to drop anything that came in.
    This home owner is in for a rough time. He was with in his rights 100% the Castle Doc applies to his enclosed porch.
    What bothers me is how almost no ones see a problem with the running for the police part. Or that the 20 year ols enterd hiding from them a 2 am.
    It kind of hey whats the big deal he had to get away from the police way of thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    well if he had been in the house it's self and not the porch part the dog would have been trying to eat him.

What bothers me is how almost no ones see a problem with the running for the police part.
    Don't you think you should feed the poor dog more? My dog is the same way though.

I agree that it is sad that this 20 year old lost his life, but I stand 110% behind the homeowner. I consider enclosed porches a part of the home and as such it makes it a home invasion.

As for the running from the police part, trust me that bothers me a lot, it means to me that this 20 year old KID knew well enough what he was doing and "wasn't too drunk" to know what he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    Don't you think you should feed the poor dog more? My dog is the same way though.

I agree that it is sad that this 20 year old lost his life, but I stand 110% behind the homeowner. I consider enclosed porches a part of the home and as such it makes it a home invasion.

As for the running from the police part, trust me that bothers me a lot, it means to me that this 20 year old KID knew well enough what he was doing and "wasn't too drunk" to know what he was doing.
    According to the rap sheet they took down he was no stranger to being arrested either

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    "My son died, killed, shot to the heart," Lauri Morrison says. "From the neighbor on the porch. Like an animal."
    Because he was trespassing & acting like an anima.

"Why not shoot my son in the leg and call 911?" Morrison (asks).
    Because his whole body was committing this ridiculous act.

Stupid is as stupid does, lady.
    ep1953 likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

We are animals lady, some dumber than others. I'd be a hypocrite if I said I was a responsible young adult and didn't drink until I turned 21, but I would never run from the cops in the first place, let alone break into someones home. He went from getting a slap on the wrist, to multiple charges and facing jail time, to six feet under. Was it worth it?

I hope that his family and friends can learn from this tragic event instead of being blinded in their own rage, and wanting to wrongfully blame the law abiding citizen. The only one to blame here already paid the price with his life. As for the people who supplied the beer, let them be charged with the crimes they commited, not for the break in and shooting.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

"Why not shoot my son in the leg and call 911?" Morrison (asks).
    Maybe the homeowner was aiming for the leg, and the kid moved? The homeowner and the mom of the dead kid should compare notes on which TV shows they watch.
    gunthorp likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It's a tough call when to shoot.Poor judgement on the youngsters part.But they thought they where going to be robbed.It's to bad the youngster put those people in a bad spot.Let him in,Or protected whats yours?The person supplying the booze needs to be arrested.Innocent people don't run and hide on porches.To bad a young man lost his life over this.
    Don't believe everything you think.

His friends and family certainly are trying to make him look like an angel. A quick look at Wisconsin public records (ignoring the various speeding tickets and not wearing a seat belt):

02-19-2009 - Underage Drinking - Guilty, No Contest
    11-17-2009 - Underage Drinking - Guilty, No Contest
    01-12-2011 - Open Intoxicants in Moving Vehicle - Guilty, No Contest
    01-12-2011 - Violate Absolute Sobriety Law - Guilty, No Contest
    01-12-2011 - Possess Drug Paraphernalia - Guilty Plea, Possession of THC, Charge Dismissed (Probably from Guilty Plea for drug paraphernalia and open intoxicants in a MV, etc.?)
    02-17-2011 - Underage Drinking - Guilty, No Contest
    05-04-2011 - Bail Jumping - Charge Dismissed
    06-03-2011 - Resisting/Obstructing an Officer and Disorderly Conduct - Still Open
    01-03-2012 - Resisting/Obstructing an Officer, Battery, Disorderly Conduct, Bail Jumping - Still Open
    01-30-2012 - Resisting/Obstructing an Officer - Still Open
    02-20-2012 - Resisting/Obstructing an Officer and Bail Jumping - Still Open

Seems he started running into problems with underage drinking, which moved into drunk driving and possession of marijuana and as of late, resisting an officer, disorderly conducts and battery. Seems he wasn't on the right track for quite a while and repeated run ins with the police wasn't phasing him; the last couple months he was having more frequent and more serious charges brought against him. I feel bad for his friends and family, but HIS choices put him where he is today.
    W9HDG, mano3 and GoBigOrange like this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

----------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-----------------------

Gasp! You mean is wasn't the little angel his Mommy made out to be? What about all those "friends" that say he was a great guy? You mean they were wrong too?

Bottom line we're all going to have to pay attention to this one and see how the Castle Doctrine holds up in this case. We may think that it was a justified shooting based on our understanding but that doesn't mean much when we're not lawyers (and I'm pretty sure we don't play one on TV either.)
    TVille likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Either Wisconsin has a Castle Doctrine law, or they don't!
    ep1953 and sid1 like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links