new lock advice

new lock advice

This is a discussion on new lock advice within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was sleeping in my apartment this afternoon after an early morning out on the boat where I work and woke up to someone entering ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: new lock advice

new lock advice

I was sleeping in my apartment this afternoon after an early morning out on the boat where I work and woke up to someone entering my apartment. I have a deadbolt and one of the locks that is a loop and hinge on the door frame that goes over a post on the door, and both were locked. Of course I retrieved my block 19 from the drawer in my nightstand and went out into the main area of my small apartment to investigate. turns out it was maintenance returning my fire extinguisher after the annual inspection, but if they can get past the lock that can supposedly only be locked and unlocked from inside so can a bg. I am hoping that someone has a suggestion for another type of lock that can only be unlocked or locked from inside for when I am in the apartment that can be installed without too much modification to the door so that I don't need to worry about someone entering and getting around the lock I thought could only be opened from inside. (sorry if this sounds rambling or confusing but this just happened and I am still waking up). I know that simple locks like this can be broken by a bg but I would like to at least keep the maintenance guys out so that I don't shoot thinking they are an intruder. I am sure the maintenance guy today got the scare of his life when I came around the corner and will hopefully think twice about doing something like that again.

VIP Member
    In case they will not let you change the locks the simplest would be to wedge a doorstop under the door or prop a chair underneath the doorknob.
    CowboyColby likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Why is maintenance not notifying before entering? Did you sign something giving them this right? Is this because of an association agreement? Typically they have to give 24 hour notice or something like that. Not all states are the same though.

Don't they even try to knock first?

Naked guys with 12 gauge shotguns are not pretty.

VIP Member
    A no knock maintenance entry?

MEMO:
    All maintenance personnel are to keep a clean change of underwear in their personal lockers in the event they bust into an armed tenant's property.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

After a quick search:

"Florida Statutes at chapter 83 part 2

RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF TENANTS

A tenant is entitled to the right of private, peaceful possession of the dwelling. Once rented, the dwelling is the tenant's to lawfully use. The landlord may only enter the dwelling in order to inspect the premises or to make necessary or agreed repairs, but only if he or she first gives the tenant reasonable notice and comes at a convenient time. If an emergency exists, the requirement for notice may be shortened or waived.

RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF LANDLORDS

By renting to the tenant, you give that tenant the possession and use of your property free from interference. That means that you may not enter the home frequently, at odd hours, or without notice."

IANAL

bosco

I did not receive advance notice that they would be entering. the notice that they were checking fire extinguishers said to leave the extinguisher outside and that they would leave it outside when they were done. If they knocked I did not hear it. He was already inside the apartment when I woke up. Normally I am a heavy sleeper unless I hear my door in which car I am awake instantly, but I was exhausted so I can't know for sure if he knocked. after seeing the statute that boscobeans posted I will be going by the management office about this later today. I know for a fact that I did not sign anything allowing them to enter freely.

You can buy a door alarm for about $15.00 that is a wedge type it has an alarm on it but it also fits aroung the door knob and the other end sits on the floor with cleat looking things.and it is adjustable for any length.Its also great for motel room doors.That is what I bought it for origionaly.Just look under door alarms and you will see all kinds

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    NRA store sells these door wedge alarms for $12-$15. They are very loud. I use them at home and take one with me when I stay in motels. Well worth the investment.

Check this out. Amazon.com: One-Sided Deadbolts w/Cover: Bolts is operated by turnpiece from inside only. Outside cover plate only. In Black Nickel Finish: Home Improvement it allow the door to be locked onlt from the inside. you can not lock/unlock it from the outside.

Sponsored Links