4 break ins and one attempted in 5 days

This is a discussion on 4 break ins and one attempted in 5 days within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We moved to a nice quiet neighborhood one year ago and in that time not one thing has happened. We have a neighborhood watch here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 4 break ins and one attempted in 5 days

4 break ins and one attempted in 5 days

We moved to a nice quiet neighborhood one year ago and in that time not one thing has happened. We have a neighborhood watch here and this past weekend got email about 4 break ins over the weekend. One person walked down to his kitchen in the middle of the night to find a man in his house. I dont know if the owner came down for something or he heard the thief. He bolted back out the door when seen. I dont know much about the other break ins other than one was an empty house and a car also. But I know 2 occupied homes got hit. Then last night a woman went into her kitchen at around 11:30 and then heard something at the window, when she got a closer look and saw that a man was at the window. He ran when she screamed for her husband. Now the wife and I discussed the possibility that someone enters our home at night. I told her just to do 2 things, get to our daughters room lock the door and call 911. Dont worry about me as Im gonna stay perched on the top of the stairs on guard (while armed) I dont feel the need to go looking for an intruder as you really never know what your going to run into. I cant run the risk of trying to clear my house and the perp getting the drop on me for whatever reason. We have dogs and they go ape !@#& when just just juggle a door knob or mess with a window. I hope this will be all the alarm I need. But Im thinking of installing some motion lights front and back. Any advice would be welcome.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=jwinston;2199838]We moved to a nice quiet neighborhood one year ago and in that time not one thing has happened. We have a neighborhood watch here and this past weekend got email about 4 break ins over the weekend.

^^^^^Bet the neighbors^^^^^^^^^^

Will be happy to see you guys move.
    Sounds like you jinxed the whole subdivision to me.

On a more serious note, it sounds as though you have a good plan, with a 2 story house, you all regularly sleep upstairs, wife gets to the kids room,(hopefully she will have a firearm) and you babysit the steps, handgun in hand.
    Depending on the size/kind of your dogs, and the fight in them, they may take out the BG(s) or even prevent them from entering your house.
    You can never tell though with thieves today, as there is NO HONOR among them, and a thread a few days ago had the homeowners returning home, only to find their pet stabbed and jewelry and a few other incidentals taken.
    I have a motion sensor on the side of my attatched garage, but am thinking of putting one in the front of the house.
    Good luck, be smart.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Motion lights are a very good idea. Mount them high and where if they turn on you will see it, bright light into bedroom window. Have the police increased patrols? I would think if they are going into homes when owners are there the potential of them being armed exists. As far as your 2 instructions to the wife, your spot on. Good luck.

You are getting great advice and have a dog(s) is a great thing today. They are great alarms. Outside motion lights are a good idea as well. We have three sets of them in addition to our front and back door lights are all motion activated. Plus we have gravel in back that crunches when walked on and the dog hears that too.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Big...hungry...dog!

I wish I had a two story home my home defense plans would be easier. I have a typical ranch with all the bedrooms off a hallway at one end of the house. I would have to either camp out at the head of the hallway (which opens into the living areas,) or I would have to wake my dead to the world kids, and get them down the hall to the master bedroom at the end of the hall way.

It's only a matter to time until the dirtbags try YOUR home...things like this happen until either the cops catch the dirtbags (probably responsible for all) or the dirtbags get their just rewards for picking the 'wrong' house.

I would be sleeping with one eye open.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Police have stepped up the patrols in the area. We have a meeting at the neighborhood club house next tuesday and the county and town police will be there. Its funny how in just one weekend that all hell has broke loose here. On the plus side I do have a county LEO living next door to me. Always drives the patrol car home. All I know is the fool/fools pulling these stunts are going to end up with lead poisoning around here. These people arent taking too kindly to this crap. I will not loose any sleep if I have to put extra holes in someone that has invaded my home.
    W9HDG and soonershoote like this.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Don't be overly impressed with the LEO's cruiser being parked next door. In my area, several take-home police cars and even a cop's home have been broken into and weapons stolen. I had a marked, and later un-marked take-home car, and it always made me a little nervous broadcasting where I lived.

In fact, the marked car got vandalized, and my personal car had two tires slashed. So much for fear of the law!
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Sounds like none of those people had a dog. If someone even jiggles my door handle my d*mn dog would go off and I'll have gun in hand and so on

RugerLCP for EDC
    CWFL Florida
    NRA member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Quality deadbolts with three to four inch hardened screws on every door; faux "Security" signage; get the lights installed; discuss plans with wife and daughters (if age appropriate); daylight security (doors always locked 24/7); and your plan is fine. I see no need to clear a house either.

BG's pick easy marks with fewer risks, dogs represent risks.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Motion lights,dogs,alarm system. Your neighborhood sounds like mine, nice and quiet. I am always amazed at how dark most of my neighbors homes are at night. A former neighbor had an FFL and is a real gun guy. He had two guns stolen from his truck. You would think he would know better. To sum it up, make your home a hard target and they may choose somebody else.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I live in a nice neighborhood police chief use to live across the street moved last year I think the car keep BG away had more problems since the threat ( visual police car) left,,, always carry at home and in the house...I bought a surveilance camera from daily deals 99.00 you'll have the BG on camera... easy to install a couple hours (needed to order some extra cable to reach where I wanted all the camera) it's infa red, color, and motion sensor to turn recorder on...can watch from cell phone, work or home anywhere with internet,... good luk hope they get caught soon...
    soonershoote likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by jwinston View Post
    We have dogs and they go ape !@#& when just just juggle a door knob or mess with a window.
    If this is the case I really don't see your problem then??

Police have stepped up the patrols in the area. We have a meeting at the neighborhood club house next tuesday and the county and town police will be there. Its funny how in just one weekend that all hell has broke loose here. On the plus side I do have a county LEO living next door to me. Always drives the patrol car home. All I know is the fool/fools pulling these stunts are going to end up with lead poisoning around here. These people arent taking too kindly to this crap. I will not loose any sleep if I have to put extra holes in someone that has invaded my home.
    Ya, but think of the mess you'll have to clean up! Does Servicemaster do "blood and guts" cleanup?

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ... We have a meeting at the neighborhood club house next tuesday and the county and town police will be there. ...
    Um... you might want to ask the cops to pass through a few more times while the whole neighborhood is at the club house next Tuesday. It would be a bit ironic to return to a burgled home after such a meeting (though it would make the point, I guess).
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links