Terrible Weekend in Chicago!

This is a discussion on Terrible Weekend in Chicago! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hmmm...spent two days last week as a chaperone with 100 middle-schoolers from my (grand) nephew's school. We went from charter buses to museums, aquarium, Medieval ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Terrible Weekend in Chicago!

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Hmmm...spent two days last week as a chaperone with 100 middle-schoolers from my (grand) nephew's school. We went from charter buses to museums, aquarium, Medieval show, Navy Pier, etc., then back onto the buses between each site. Parts of the trip took us through downtown Chicago several times during the day and evening. Of course, this was a very well laid out trip, where every minute of the trip was planned, headcounts taken, etc.

Did I feel "naked'? You betcha'. Did I ever ever feel unsafe, nope. Aside from all there is to do in downtown Chicago, it has an entirely different "vibe" than downtown Detroit, St. Louis, LA or NYC.

Oh, did I mention that the POTUS was in town on a fundraising trip? I didn't see it, but someone said that he landed "his" helicopter in the middle of Soldier Field. Maybe that had something to do with feeling secure. And I did notice 3 Chinook and 3 Blackhawk helicopters flying overhead together in formation at one point.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    That's really sad.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post

Did I feel "naked'? You betcha'. Did I ever ever feel unsafe, nope. Aside from all there is to do in downtown Chicago, it has an entirely different "vibe" than downtown Detroit, St. Louis, LA or NYC.

That's the thing about Chicago... my home town. I hate the attitude against weapons there, and they were not so strong when I lived there... you could shoot clays over the lake at the gun club near my home in the city limits.

But the thing is... unless you're in one of the 'hoods or in close proximity, you do feel "safe." And you probably are... but an out of towner best beware... it's easy to get into a "hood" without knowing it... I took my fiance to Cabrini Green by missing a turn... She had to use the restroom... we went into a Mc Ds... I was nervous, but we were in and out and the restrooms were clean and the stares we got were priceless... and we were on our way...

But, I don't go there any more... and I miss the way it used to be... but I don't miss it.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links