Global Social Unrest Puzzle Pieces Coming Together?

This is a discussion on Global Social Unrest Puzzle Pieces Coming Together? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you are not thinking about being prepared for "something" then IMO you are a fool. Do I think the sky is falling? No. Did ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Global Social Unrest Puzzle Pieces Coming Together?

VIP Member
    If you are not thinking about being prepared for "something" then IMO you are a fool. Do I think the sky is falling? No. Did I watch the Katrina scenario unfold and learn a few things? Yes I did.

It's not the end of the world I'm planning for, but planning for hard times is just plain smart. I'm planning for three months of food/water for my family. If our problems are bad enough to last more than 3 months then no plan is really going to help.

My long term goal is to live more off of the land and less off of the shelves at my local food store. I plan to raise my own beef and to have a pretty large garden. Maybe I'll even look into some yardbirds for eggs, who knows really.

In the end the living off of the land thing isn't really about emergencies for me. It's more about a different lifestyle. But in an emergency it certainly wouldn't hurt to have your own renewable food supply on hand.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

I live in a small rural farming town of about 3,500 people inside the city limits. Next largest community of 8,000 people is about 18 miles away with a couple of small townships of 800 -1,000 people in between. There are about 45,000 people in the entire county.

About 30 miles away in opposite directions, each in separate counties we have two cities, each with about 40,000 - 55,000 population in each. A large Air Force Base sits in between.

Last summer, we lost all land line phone service from CenturyLink including all cell phone service (T-Mobile and AT&T) and internet service for about 10 hours in my small community.

People started to find out they couldn't even call 911 and I will say that a lot of people were on the verge of really freaking out. I was on duty at the time. People were coming in, in a near panic asking what are you going to do if no one can get a hold of the ambulance. We looked at them and said... "Umm, nothing?" "You have any suggestions?" "People are going to have to rely on what they did before telephones existed." I swear, I think some people expected us to just start going door to door and asking if anyone needed an ambulance.

While it was a semi-serious situation, it kind of became comical because of how everyone reacted. I mean we've had power outages for up to 7 days from winter storms in half the town and no one wigged out the way they came unglued with this incident of no phone service.

Our ambulance station sits directly across the street behind a 65 bed psychiatric hospital. The staff there are pretty full of themselves and always have been. During this time they needed an ambulance for a walk-in patient which needed non-emergency transport, to be evaluated at the ER (local hospital in the town 18 miles away) to be "medically cleared" before they could admit them. They sent a staff member to city hall (about 7 blocks away), and somehow they got a hold of the local sheriff deputy and we eventually got notified.

When we got there, the comedy was almost unbearable. The staff was literally having a melt down. They were in a near panic. "what are we going to do?" "Our phone lines are down and the number to our 'crisis line' isn't working?" "How are our patients going to get a hold of us?" Administrative staff were walking around with "emergency plans" in their hands and thumbing through it blindly.

I said, "look, you can only deal with what what's before you." "The phone company is working on the problem and people will just have to get by as best they can." Someone asked me... "How do we get a hold of the ambulance if there's an emergency?" I said, "have someone walk across the street and knock on our door? I dunno, what do you think we should do?" They were literally looking at me like a deer in the headlights. She goes... "I don't know?"

Okay... Now I have a pretty dry sense of humor and enjoy amusing myself. So, I said, "I know, if this goes on longer than 24 hours, we're gonna have people killing people in the streets of our town." She said, "Do you think so?" At that point, my partner had to literally turn around and face the wall so she could laugh.

Then one staff member asked, "I wonder if we can get into trouble because our "crisis line" is down?" I again said, "Look, this is a situation beyond all of our control... How are you going to get in trouble when there is physically no phone communication?" Again, I said, "All you can do, is deal with whatever patients you have here inside the hospital, and anyone outside is going to have to manage the best they can."

Again, with the dry sense of humor, I said, "You know... what you guys need is one of them-there fancy satellite phones that the troops over there in Afghanistan use." One of the other staff members said, "You know you're right... someone was mentioning that a little bit ago. You guys don't have a spare one we could borrow?" I kind of chuckled and said, "At a $1.25 a minute air time, no... we don't have any satellite phones." At this point, my partner really started cracking up.

We decided it was best at that point to go ahead and get the patient and get out of there. As we went out to the ambulance with the patient, we just looked at each other and shook our heads.

When we got back to the station, the local sheriff's deputy was there and was telling us about his day running around town calming people down. Some of the stories were pretty comical.

I then pointed out, if something serious really did happen, and the stores were empty, no phone service and no electricity, people in this town were gonna really freak. I went home and ordered 3,000 more rounds of ammo.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Looking foward to the summer riot season. Think a small island would be nice. Where is the skipper when you need him.
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

I grew up during the 50's and 60's. I remember the nuclear arms race with the Soviet Union, Khrushchev's angry speeches at the UN, the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban missile crisis. Every city and town had Civil Defense shelters. School children were given plans for fallout shelter construction to take home to their parents. We were told in the event of a nuclear attack to crouch under our desks and due to our proximity to Oak Ridge, TN we would probably be one of the first target areas when the attack came. That's some pretty serious information to absorb when you are in the fifth grade.

Compared to that, the stuff happening now doesn't concern me to a great degree. I think of all the people who have probably died of old age while preparing for all out nuclear war with the Soviets. I prepare as best I can for the things that I can and trust in God to take care of the rest.
    Last edited by Gene83; March 26th, 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: edited typo
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

My long term goal is to live more off of the land and less off of the shelves at my local food store. I plan to raise my own beef and to have a pretty large garden. Maybe I'll even look into some yardbirds for eggs, who knows really.
    Layers are easy, cheap and low maintenance. Just give them a predator free and predator safe home.

Look here too: Raising BackYard Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Pictures of Breeds Check out the forum. These folks are the analog to DC in terms of their chicken expertise.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I'm guessing that retsupt99, Hopyard, and I are fairly close in age groups (except I get nervous when Hopyard says he lived through worse and starts quoting things from the Revolutionary war)....
    I laughed out loud and scared the receptionist on that one.

There are some great responses on this thread. I've actually bookmarked it.

Since the OP was on Global Unrest and its effects on society and, in the end, each individual or family and such, I can guarantee how most of the useless...er, ehm, I mean, most of the normal population will react to any crises when the excrement hits the oscillator and we find that we all need to be prepared for personal and family defense.

They will wig out.

They will perform the Full Stationary Panic (legs going in place, arms swinging, head turning, mouth moving - but going nowhere and getting nothing accomplished)

I do imagine most if not all of the readers and posters here are many steps ahead of the game already, because we have been "what if-ing" and running through our minds what we can or should or will do in an emergency, what weapons we might or will need, what we will and will not do in an emergency, and so when or if it hits, we have at least a semblance of how to come up with a game plan and move forward.

I personally am not a big fan of burying or laying up caches of anything since you may never have the opportunity to get there. Archaeologist are constantly digging up treasures buried hundreds and thousands of years ago by someone for later retrieval that obviously never got there to retrieve it in the first place. You have to have the supplies and a survival (not just survivalist) mindset that tells you that you WILL make it, and you WILL do what needs to be done to be among the last ones standing.

Remember, the only businesses not looted and burned to the ground in the LA riots were the ones belonging to the Koreans who stood their ground with firearms when the police and fire department were ordered out by their commanders. Had those individuals guns been at home when the rioters came, there may have been a much different outcome at those businesses.

I am also of the mindset that if you do not have a firearm with you when something bad begins, getting to one might become a real issue. A rifle and multiple magazines at home are pretty useless to you when you are at work. A rifle or handgun in your car at your place of business in the parking lot are fine I guess, unless you cannot get to the car because the riot is between you and it.

I know we cannot always have all of the weapons and ammo we need with us for every situation, but we have minds, we can be as prepared as possible, and we can do what we can to be better prepared and hope for the best.

I think that is what separates us from the rest of the herd. All humans have opposable thumbs and brains, but most only use those thumbs to operate the TV remote, and seem not to have the gray matter God gave a goose, and those are the ones that will quickly overload the systems and come running to the ones with the weapons for protection when they discover, like in New Orleans, that the police are not there to protect them, and may not even be their friends any longer, forcing them out of their perfectly safe and well stocked homes, disarming them and shoving them into shelters "for their own good."
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Are there any other frogs out there who feel the water's getting warmer? How many black swans does it take for one to blot out the sun?

A little preparedness, like a little insurance, is voluntary...mostly right now. If you eat and shoot, how could it hurt to have a little extra food and ammo on hand? The fact that we carry shows that preparedness is important to us. Human survival has depended on those who prepared. Which is better? Carrying a defensive tool knowing evil exists, but thinking and hoping never to need it. Or ignoring a dangerous world in order to not worry and be happy.

Normally happy and hard working German people lost hope after unsustainable reparations and debt were loaded upon them after the War to end all wars. Out of the ensuing chaos, there emerged a dictatorship. Our "betters" in academia and the media told us not to worry. Time Magazine pictured Adolf as "Man of the Year." Happy thoughts and appeasement only delayed the inevitable, until Churchill said this.

"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."

Debt enslaves us and our posterity. When something is unsustainable, it will end. Math is hard. Our massive deficit spending on entitlements, both federal and public, will end. Printing more fiat dollars, while the rest of the world still accepts it, only delays the inevitable. We produced our way out of debt after WWII, because the rest of the world was wrecked. But now they are the producers to whom we are indebted. How many more months, or years, can we happy and not worry?
    How many black swans? It only takes one real black swan, and no one will see that coming.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

To add one more point to the discussion, how do you think the education of the newer generations has been going? The dumbing down of the system so all can get through as well as taking out many of the programs that actually taught usable skills like "Shop" and "Home Economics"? Now we have parents that tend to be more "Friend" than mentor.

WHEC724, sorry bout that! Biggest question though, when she was startled did she blade toward you and clear her cover garment?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I grew up during the 50's and 60's. I remember the nuclear arms race with the Soviet Union, Khrushchev's angry speeches at the UN, the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban missile crisis. Every city and town had Civil Defense shelters. School children were given plans for fallout shelter construction to take home to their parents. We were told in the event of a nuclear attack to crouch under our desks and due to our proximity to Oak Ridge, TN we would probably be one of the first target areas when the attack came. That's some pretty serious information to absorb when you are in the fifth grade.

Compared to that, the stuff happening now doesn't concern me to a great degree. I think of all the people who have probably died of old age while preparing for all out nuclear war with the Soviets. I prepare as best I can for the things that I can and trust in God to take care of the rest.
    I too remember being shown films of exploding atomic bombs. The one that shown the family sitting around the kitchen table as the the house was blown away by the blast. Rows of trees bursting into flames and then blowing over. We were then given drills in the class room. "When you see the bright flash" then quickly hide under your desk in a crouched position. I remember thinking how could my little desk possibly protect me from such a devastating fire storm and horrific blast that I had just witnessed on film. So, I figured it was a senseless waste of time worrying about such things that I had no control over and concentrate more on important issues like the little girl sitting two desks over from me. Amazing how much happier I became.
    ksholder likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I grew up during the 50's and 60's. I remember the nuclear arms race with the Soviet Union, Khrushchev's angry speeches at the UN,
    "We will bury you," was sort of an eye opener. Taking off his shoes and banging them on the dais
    was not designed to put a smile on our faces.

And "the big one" wasn't Sanford's announcement to Elizabeth.
    ksholder likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    "We will bury you," was sort of an eye opener. Taking off his shoes and banging them on the dais
    was not designed to put a smile on our faces.

And "the big one" wasn't Sanford's announcement to Elizabeth.
    Yeah, both you and Sig35seven get the picture. LOL It was an anxious time. People actually built fallout shelters in my area, especially in and around Oak Ridge. Today most of them are just basement storage space or wine cellars. I've only seen one that is still actually equipped to be used as a shelter. I'm sure there are probably a few others, but the fallout shelter craze passed long ago (at least in my area). Everybody didn't build shelters of course. Most people just went about their day to day lives.

If I was going to make a prediction though, I'll be that in the not too distant future, nations will do battle over water rights. Global climate change is happening right now (and no this isn't an argument about whether man is the cause). But the shift in climate is causing droughts in some heavily populated areas, even in this country. As water sources disappear due to climate, pollution, and population growth; there'll be trouble.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I am in the middle on this. I think there is a real potential for some sort of crisis in this country. The question is how big and how long.

Hopyard brings up some examples of what happened during the revolutionary period and during the 50's, 60's and 70's.

However the economic conditions that were there in the revolutionary war period or for that matter during and after our civil war are far different than they are today. The population was much less and people had raw materials and or skills they could make a living off of. Everything that was used was pretty much within a 50 mile radius of where they lived. It was a micro economy of sorts. People had root cellars, canned their own food and purchased dry goods in bulk. They planned ahead.

That certainly isn't the case today. Everything is on the macro scale. Grocery stores have about 2 to 3 days of food on the shelves. This can be wiped out in a matter of hours. In 2000 we had a huge ice storm in our area. The local grocery stores were emptied within 8 hours. People were walking around the store eating what they considered "free" food because noone was there to stop them. The emergency generators were powering the registers and minimal lighting in the store. They would eat half a package of something then throw it on the shelf and pick up something ese.

Our culture and mindset has changed much since even the 1920/30's. How many people today would be willing to live in shanty towns like people did during the depression? Heck no, they want a free home/apartment, free food, free cell phone, free day care, and even in some cases help purchasing an automobile.

Entitlements have never been so prevalent as they are today. If the folks in Washington, both parties, don't get control of the debt and spending, and if we are put into a situation of hyper inflation then some sort of serious crisis situation is certain to occur. Simply look at the LA riots, Katrina aftermath and project that nationwide. Ok, look at Greece, and remember there isn't an economy large enough to bail out the US economy. There are states with larger economies than Greece. However, after the first 30 to 90 days of a true SHTF scenario things will start to level out. Those that are not willing to stay within the societal norms will be weeded out. However if you don't have a small supply of food/water, and a means to protect yourself and family you might end up being a victim of those who will run rampant trying to take what they feel should be thiers for "free".

To put it simply, most US citizens don't have the fortitued to withstand a serious depression like took place in this country 100 years ago. My parents, who thankfully are still alive in thier 80's, lived during the last depression. Even some of my siblings who know the stories of our parents youth, would find the lifestyle untenable.
    gunthorp likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The real conspiracy is the constant media coverage.

All these *hot button crisis issues* wouldn't matter is the media wasn't trying to fan the flames constantly.

I have heard people saying that earthquakes and tsunamis are happening more frequently. That is not statistically true. What is happening is the media is covering these events more. It's not what happens, it's what people hear about.

Stay safe out there, guys!

Edit: Though I will admit that the growing debt and increasing instability of the world markets has me concerned. Not out of fear of collapse, but rather out of fear that increasing inflation will result in a back-slide in quality of life.
    Last edited by ducatirider; April 10th, 2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added that last thought.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links