Global Social Unrest Puzzle Pieces Coming Together?

This is a discussion on Global Social Unrest Puzzle Pieces Coming Together? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This isn't specifically about any one of the events we currently have on the radar such as the occupy Wall street movement, the accidental burning ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Global Social Unrest Puzzle Pieces Coming Together?

Global Social Unrest Puzzle Pieces Coming Together?

This isn't specifically about any one of the events we currently have on the radar such as the occupy Wall street movement, the accidental burning of the Koran, the soldier killing civilians, etc. but a gathering of them all.

With protesters not only amassing locally to the events but traveling in numbers to different sights as well as forming large groups to protest away from the original event sights does this seem like the whisper of a major event or events in the near future?

I remember the Rodney King incident and it seems that we have surpassed that level by a few magnitudes already.

Are we near the breaking point(s) or is this just a roller coaster of mini-crises?

These are interesting times we live in.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Good questions!!

Personally, I tend to lean towards the "feeling" that something is coming that could turn at least our country on its head and perhaps the global economy/equilibrium as well. At the same time, it is a trend that during hard times, more folks surface with "Doom & Gloom" predictions, most of which do not come true. Personally, if I had to err, I will choose to err on the side of doing my best to be prepared for "interesting times" rather than trusting the government to take care of me and mine.
    First Sgt and Ksthumper like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    This isn't specifically about any one of the events we currently have on the radar such as the occupy Wall street movement, the accidental burning of the Koran, the soldier killing civilians, etc. but a gathering of them all.

With protesters not only amassing locally to the events but traveling in numbers to different sights as well as forming large groups to protest away from the original event sights does this seem like the whisper of a major event or events in the near future?

I remember the Rodney King incident and it seems that we have surpassed that level by a few magnitudes already.

Are we near the breaking point(s) or is this just a roller coaster of mini-crises?

These are interesting times we live in.
    Don't forget zombies...
    Harryball, mano3 and Secret Spuk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Don't forget zombies...
    I think they are part of the occupy movement already....

To the OP. IMO, we are in for something,I just do not know how big it will be.
    atctimmy and 40Bob like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    No. Our daily news stories are just business as usual in a complex world full of folks with different ideas about stuff.

We are actually living in generally peaceful and quiet times. (I wish they were more prosperous for some
    more folks but that is a different subject).

I'll take our present national life over the Cold War, Cuban Missile Crisis, and social movements of the 60s
    any time. Even our gas price crisis is a big improvement over the gasoline rationing of 1978-9.

Don't get worked up over the mundane quarrels and conflicts that come and go all the time.
    We are doing great by historical standards.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

[QUOTE=Harryball;2210925]I think they are part of the occupy movement already....

Nope..Big Difference between Zombies and Occupiers, as can be demonstrated by this simple experiment: If you put a round through a Zombie's head, you cause severe damage to a vital organ. With an Occupier, not a chance.
    MleeC, Doodle, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    No. Our daily news stories are just business as usual in a complex world full of folks with different ideas about stuff.

We are actually living in generally peaceful and quiet times. (I wish they were more prosperous for some
    more folks but that is a different subject).

I'll take our present national life over the Cold War, Cuban Missile Crisis, and social movements of the 60s
    any time. Even our gas price crisis is a big improvement over the gasoline rationing of 1978-9.

Don't get worked up over the mundane quarrels and conflicts that come and go all the time.
    We are doing great by historical standards.
    You mean everything I've been watching on Domesday Preppers is a lie?
    I've been amassing all this food and water for nothing?

Nope..Big Difference between Zombies and Occupiers, as can be demonstrated by this simple experiment: If you put a round through a Zombie's head, you cause severe damage to a vital organ. With an Occupier, not a chance.
    Ok, you got me on that one...LMAO
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Thumbs up No, not now............

I think I am still on the fence here, leaning more to Hopyard's side than not. Having said that, a number of events might precipitate significant unrest, and the unrest might be on as large of scale as we've seen in the recent past. Consider Iran's nuclear ambitions coupled with their hatred of Israel. That particular situation has a lot of moving pieces, granted, but would undoubtedly result in potential spikes in oil prices with a resultant shock at the pump, combined with possible shortages, lines and the like. If food distribution then slowed or failed, air conditioners shut off, we could be in for turmoil.

If that were to be combined with a long hot summer of racial unrest and further disruptions in energy distribution, more pieces could fall into place. Energy shocks could potentially produce a shock in the stock market and bond markets, with the risk of triggering another recession, and what with the Euro and the like floundering moving into summer, yes, I could see some turmoil. Greece might decide to burn itself down in social protest which could spread to Spain, Italy, Portugal......where will Germany finally refuse?

Additional turmoil in N. Africa and the Middle East, with Russia stirring the pot at Obama's expense and making hay while the sun shines, just as is China and Iran. Add election year emotions and posturing, and yes, if the tower started crumbling, maybe.

All in all though, I think not. I don't think the snow-balling will occur, and we are a large enough and strong enough country we can and will withstand social and economic shocks. We've done it before, we'll do it again. We are America.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

The OP put "global" in the title but mentioned only domestic issues.

The world is kind of a wild place. What is now being called the Arab Spring was/is pretty crazy. News stories die out in the U.S. pretty quickly, but the Middle East has been wild since December '10.

Who knows? Just keep on truckin', I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    The OP put "global" in the title but mentioned only domestic issues.

The world is kind of a wild place. What is now being called the Arab Spring was/is pretty crazy. News stories die out in the U.S. pretty quickly, but the Middle East has been wild since December '10.

Who knows? Just keep on truckin', I guess.
    The accidental burning of the Koran wasn't local unless your deployed. I didn't want to list EVERY thing that is in turmoil since it'd be more than you could post in one thread.

Buy ammo...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

All we can do is be prepared to protect those in our circle, and bite the heads off of anyone who threatens them.
    1911srule and Bark'n like this.

Well crime here in the US is generally down but all the hoopla about prepping is a little spooky.

I used to worry about this kind of stuff, not anymore. It'll drain you imho and distract you from enjoying your short life. I concern myself only with things that are an immediate threat to me and mine here and now. I suppose if I lived in a large city I'd think differently, but I don't. I do think crime is on the rise, regardless of what the stats indicate(purely political imo). Best thing anyone can do is concentrate on their health and practice good security measures within reason in their daily life. If and when bad comes, deal with it best you can...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links