Bedroom pistol for Mother-in-law

This is a discussion on Bedroom pistol for Mother-in-law within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yeah that's tough. I'd have the same concerns about da triggers and da/sa hammers. I'd be thinking maybe a SA pistol (light trigger) but clearly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bedroom pistol for Mother-in-law

Yeah that's tough. I'd have the same concerns about da triggers and da/sa hammers. I'd be thinking maybe a SA pistol (light trigger) but clearly an 18lb spring aint gonna cut it... I think you're on to something with the youth shotgun.... Or Joe's idea- can she operate a charging handle on a 10/22? .. And one of those butler creek folders :) Those handle like a bb gun and you can unload it in a hurry.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

2. Remove Ads

Given the conditions you specified I would think the Taurus M94(.22LR) or M941(.22Mag) would not be a good choice. I don't find the trigger pull too bad but the average person thinks the triger pull is tough.

Maybe you could consider the Ruger BEARCAT. Ruger® New Bearcat® Single-Action Revolver Models It's a light .22LR.

Though not stainless but much less expensive is Heritage Arms. They run under $200 in most retail Big-Boxes. I have one with a 3.75" barrel and bird's head grip. It's light and easy to use. It also comes with both .22LR and .22MAG cylinders. Blue Finish - Heritage Manufacturing, Inc They also have a stainless in a 4.75" barrel and a more traditional six-shooter look. Silver Satin Finishes - Heritage Manufacturing, Inc

Another stainless option is the Taurus PT-22. The mag takes 8 rounds. It has a tip-up barrel. So tip-up the barrel, insert a .22LR, push the barrel down and you're ready to go. The trigger pull on this is MUCH lighter than the M94/M941. Also this is relatively easy to carry in a pocket.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    Last edited by rangefinder; March 31st, 2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: additional information
    USN Retired

I'd seriously look at a .38 revolver. Use light loads if necessary but that will still outperform a .22 cal. A Ruger SP101 with either barrel length would be fine. However, I'd equip it with a Crimson laser sight. The advantage is that simply lighting a BG up can end the problem, plus offset her lack of range time. With a decent trigger job and some Wulff springs, the SP101 can be down to about 7 lbs. DA pull, 4 lbs. SA pull. It's easy to do the trigger work yourself with the right tools and abrasives.

Store the gun in a quick-access safe or box, not with a biometric code but a 4-digit keypad. She can press that in the dark easily and have her gun is seconds, yet still be safe around the children.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If she can't pull the hammer back on a .22 SA revolver, does she have the strength to work a DA revolver?

If that is a possibility, I'd look for a Smith Model 64 with the police DA-only factory mod. Thousands of them out there, and 2" and 4" denominations. See what J&G Sales might have in stock. Light .38 wadcutter loads make nice holes and are effective at the ranges your grandma will encounter.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a .22 magnum revolver like the Taurus 94.
    My father in law's gun is old, dirty and not very high quality, Taurus 22 mag sounds like a great gun to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Looking at all your restrictions, I keep coming to the conclusion that not everyone should own a gun.
    I knew someone would say this.
    You have to take "peace of mind" into consideration. 99% of us will never experiance a home invasion, but if she is scared at home by herself than a gun can serve a useful purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterAvis View Post
    Yeah that's tough. I'd have the same concerns about da triggers and da/sa hammers. I'd be thinking maybe a SA pistol (light trigger) but clearly an 18lb spring aint gonna cut it... I think you're on to something with the youth shotgun.... Or Joe's idea- can she operate a charging handle on a 10/22? .. And one of those butler creek folders :) Those handle like a bb gun and you can unload it in a hurry.
    Very interesting:folder 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    I'd seriously look at a .38 revolver. Use light loads if necessary but that will still outperform a .22 cal. A Ruger SP101 with either barrel length would be fine. However, I'd equip it with a Crimson laser sight. The advantage is that simply lighting a BG up can end the problem, plus offset her lack of range time. With a decent trigger job and some Wulff springs, the SP101 can be down to about 7 lbs. DA pull, 4 lbs. SA pull. It's easy to do the trigger work yourself with the right tools and abrasives.

Store the gun in a quick-access safe or box, not with a biometric code but a 4-digit keypad. She can press that in the dark easily and have her gun is seconds, yet still be safe around the children.
    laser sight is an awesome idea for those who will not practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Just a thought, but, if she's not going to learn to shoot it or practice with it, why so many restrictions on gun choice? If it will fit in the underwear drawer go for it!!
    Good point,lol.

OK..... you asked for opinions.

I went out trying to find a good .22 revolver , with normal revolver design, to use to train my 2 grandkids on revolvers. OH MY GOD >.... the trigger pulls on most of the newer revolvers were absurd that I found. Nothing they could do. Heck, I'm a strong revolver person, and I couldn't believe the trigger pull on those guns, waaaay beyond my .357's, etc. One of my grandkids is 15 and no slouch either.

I found an older Charter, and bought that, and the trigger pull, etc. is manageable for them.

So, I think the recommendations you are getting on obtaining a .38 for her is good advice. Believe it or not, I think the trigger pull would be a lot more manageable for her.

Now, if it was my mother in law, I would have put blanks in her gun..... she was dangerous as it was without a gun.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

.22 pump action gallery gun? I dunno... Just throwing that out there.

Fairly short butt stock, easier action to pump than a shotgun, and pretty accurate. She'd have to be pretty dog gone frail not to be able to work the action on a .22 pump.

Much easier than having to use the strength of a single thumb to cock a single action pistol and a much lighter trigger pull than on a double action revolver.

Doesn't even have to shoulder it. Tuck it in under her armpit between her bicep and ribcage if necessary for good stability and better weapon retention if in close quarters.

And, if I'm not mistaken, it was the preferred rifle of Anne Oakley, so she should get a kick outta that!

You can pick up Rossi model 62's or Stevens model 49's for around $250 - $300
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with Gasmitty. J&G has several choices and some decent prices. I'd go with the .38 DA, or the smith air weight 5 shot, definitely wouldn't get her anything mechanical. Revolvers are fail proof. There are a couple of things to consider for her though. At her age the stress of getting the gun out is enough to potentially cause a medical issue, second, a cordless phone next to her bed with speed dial LARGE buttons for PD so she can hit the dial button and let it be answered so a call goes out quickly, and as was suggested above an alarm that is audible for a deterrent. Stick a BIG sign in the yard etc. Re-enforce her bedroom door for when she is sleeping with a good dead bolt to buy time if it was to ever come down to it (God forbid) just make sure you have a key. Kick up some 180 degree motion lights 4 corners. These are peace of mind issues as well. My grandmother is 89 years old. She keeps a shorty 12 gauge pump by her bed and a hammer under her pillow..... Easy to use but it will fit in an underwear drawer ;). Even if she doesnt shoot the perp. Racking one off will scatter them in most cases. Her philosphy on it was, "well, its easier to pay for them to fix my wall than to buy a tombstone"...That is NO JOKE...She's frail but I believe she would eat the house up and make her own door way with it if she felt like it. :)

Lots of good ideas! I think home security needs to be looked at more closely. I am going to have to take her to a gunshop and see what route she would like to go. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhich50 View Post
    Lots of good ideas! I think home security needs to be looked at more closely. I am going to have to take her to a gunshop and see what route she would like to go. Thanks everyone.
    That's the best idea yet.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    .22 pump action gallery gun? I dunno... Just throwing that out there.

Fairly short butt stock, easier action to pump than a shotgun, and pretty accurate. She'd have to be pretty dog gone frail not to be able to work the action on a .22 pump.

Much easier than having to use the strength of a single thumb to cock a single action pistol and a much lighter trigger pull than on a double action revolver.

Doesn't even have to shoulder it. Tuck it in under her armpit between her bicep and ribcage if necessary for good stability and better weapon retention if in close quarters.

And, if I'm not mistaken, it was the preferred rifle of Anne Oakley, so she should get a kick outta that!

You can pick up Rossi model 62's or Stevens model 49's for around $250 - $300

^IF we are^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thinking of going this route,

Lets not forget the
    Kel Tec Sub 2000; Kel Tec CNC
    OR the Hi Point; Hi-Point Firearms: Carbines
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Doesn't a taurus judge of s&w governor fire a 410. I have never shot either, so I don't know how tough they are to handle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links