Bedroom pistol for Mother-in-law

This is a discussion on Bedroom pistol for Mother-in-law within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My father-in-law passed earlier this month, and my Mother-in-law has asked me to find her a pistol that she can sleep with at night. She ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bedroom pistol for Mother-in-law

My father-in-law passed earlier this month, and my Mother-in-law has asked me to find her a pistol that she can sleep with at night. She has an old 22mag single action revolver, but she is not stong enough to pull back the hammer easily. Gun is pretty heavy. She keeps it in the underwear drawer during the day.

Factors to consider:
    *72 years old, petite.
    *She will probably not practice shooting.
    *Semiautos are not being considered.
    *House is very humid due to no central air.
    *Teenage Grandchildren and their friends visit the house daily, but it is a rural community and pretty much everyone has guns in their homes.
    * Does not want a watchdog.

*My first thought is to stick with 22mag in a double action revolver. A 3-4 inch barrel would probably help with pointabilty and accuracy and reduce some of the recoil. Oh yeah, and a trigger lock.
    *I am not sure if there is a more suitable revolver caliber between 22mag and 38 special.
    *I prefer a youth 20 guage for home defense, but I think that would be way too much for her. 410 not enough?
    *The gun needs to be relatively in expensive. I will be cleaning it when I visit twice a year or so, but it will probably be cosmetically damaged from rust pretty quickly. Maybe Taurus or Rossi?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

VIP Member
    A stainless revolver in .38 cal. is going to be your answer.
    A 2 in. barrel would be alright, but a 3-4 would be better for a house duty pistol.
    The stainless will help stave off rust.
    She doesn't even have a window AC in her bedroom for @ night when sleeping, or when it gets too unbearable???

Charter Arms,Rossi on the low end of price, S&W and Ruger on the upper level.
    Look for a used Stainless in the S&W/Ruger catagory, and you may only pay $25-75 more than a cheaper one, and when she no longer needs it, you would have a very nice keeper to remember her by.
    DanielC likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Just a thought, but, if she's not going to learn to shoot it or practice with it, why so many restrictions on gun choice? If it will fit in the underwear drawer go for it!!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

22 revolvers is a good choice and improved security lighting and alarm system for a deterrent

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    when she no longer needs it, you would have a very nice keeper to remember her by.
    With this thought I'd go all out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Looking at all your restrictions, I keep coming to the conclusion that not everyone should own a gun.
    lefty13 likes this.

VIP Member
    If she has trouble pulling back the hammer, can she pull a DA trigger? I think more secure storage is indicated, if children are present. Are you ever too old to enjoy a bit of practice?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

If she can't pull the hammer back on a .22 SA revolver, does she have the strength to work a DA revolver?

If that is a possibility, I'd look for a Smith Model 64 with the police DA-only factory mod. Thousands of them out there, and 2" and 4" denominations. See what J&G Sales might have in stock. Light .38 wadcutter loads make nice holes and are effective at the ranges your grandma will encounter.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a .22 magnum revolver like the Taurus 94.
    oneshot likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

At close range, a 410 would be enough. Based on the parameters, I would be looking at 410 options first. A snake charmer or a variant like that was the first thought, but you have to cock the small hammer. I think a pump would be a better option for shotguns. Another thought is to look at lever action rifles. Outside of that, 22 semi auto rifle may be an option. Many are rock solid and she could just leave it loaded with HP's until the cleanings.

A glock 19 or some other similar platform is about the only thing it sounds like she is capable of pulling the trigger on.

May be better off just to get her a German Shepherd.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Are there any grandchildren to worry about?

I am not long before having little ones in the house again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    A stainless revolver in .38 cal. is going to be your answer.
    A 2 in. barrel would be alright, but a 3-4 would be better for a house duty pistol.
    The stainless will help stave off rust.
    She doesn't even have a window AC in her bedroom for @ night when sleeping, or when it gets too unbearable???

Charter Arms,Rossi on the low end of price, S&W and Ruger on the upper level.
    Look for a used Stainless in the S&W/Ruger catagory, and you may only pay $25-75 more than a cheaper one, and when she no longer needs it, you would have a very nice keeper to remember her by.
    Great suggestions.Yes she has a window AC unit. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    A glock 19 or some other similar platform is about the only thing it sounds like she is capable of pulling the trigger on.

May be better off just to get her a German Shepherd.
    My first choice also, but she does not want to take care of a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    At close range, a 410 would be enough. Based on the parameters, I would be looking at 410 options first. A snake charmer or a variant like that was the first thought, but you have to cock the small hammer. I think a pump would be a better option for shotguns. Another thought is to look at lever action rifles. Outside of that, 22 semi auto rifle may be an option. Many are rock solid and she could just leave it loaded with HP's until the cleanings.
    Trying to stick with point and shoot simplicity of revolver. I would prefer your choices for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If she can't pull the hammer back on a .22 SA revolver, does she have the strength to work a DA revolver?

If that is a possibility, I'd look for a Smith Model 64 with the police DA-only factory mod. Thousands of them out there, and 2" and 4" denominations. See what J&G Sales might have in stock. Light .38 wadcutter loads make nice holes and are effective at the ranges your grandma will encounter.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a .22 magnum revolver like the Taurus 94.
    The hammer on the single action was very tight, I think she can handle a regular DA. I will definately look out for the Taurus in 22mg.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links