Locking Gas Caps - Page 2

Locking Gas Caps

This is a discussion on Locking Gas Caps within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I see no advantage to the locking gas cap as they CAN be easily removed.OMO Ever heard the saying "keeps the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Locking Gas Caps

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I see no advantage to the locking gas cap as they CAN be easily removed.OMO
    Ever heard the saying "keeps the honest man honest"?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have one. Like he said. It's just another layer..... One more step to the crime. Maybe the thief forgot his screwdriver that day.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

My dad owned a gas station in NJ in the late 60's to 1987 and during the 1972-74 when we had a real gas shortage people really got hit hard. Back then if you got caught with a NYC credit card (rubber hose) and gas can they really rode you hard because they automatically assumed you where siphoning gas

I'd rather them steal my fuel than to pry the locking cap off, and in the process bend the sheet metal or scratch the finish on my trucks bedside. YMMV
    thephanatik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    What do you drive, adric22 ??
    Nissan Leaf, all electric, no gas tank.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Yeah,"BUT",then they just take a punch,scratch awl,and put a whole in your tank,see this a bunch,now your out gas and a tank,most tanks are plastic now,it is very easy to push something thru and drain the gas into a pan,a couple of Counties over some guys were punching holes in tanks,putting a fitting attached to a hose and an electric pump and sucking tanks dry in less than 5 minutes for the whole crime,If they want it ,they'll get it.
    Last edited by Guest1; April 4th, 2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: can't seem to spell,must be my homey skoolin

Well I have a locking gas cap, but it's just as much for me as it is to keep someone out. I've driven off without 2 or 3 gas caps in my time. I figure it won't stop a determined thief, but I live in an apartment and figure that if someone sees it they'll just move on to another larger tank. My Jeep only holds 12 gallons to begin with.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

We are in a rural area, had problems as soon as we moved here with kids siphoning our gas for their ATV's. We decided to keep vehicles in locked garage at night. Left one can out that had a quart of clear Karo syrup mixed in it. About 4 weeks had gone by with no sign of our "friends" ATV. Then I was out working on my truck when he came down the road. So much smoke coming out of that thing it looked like the space shuttle.It was funny to us, but aggravated an already bad neighbor problem.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

I have a "lock and load" gas cap,theft during the night in Texas can get you kilt
    TheShadow and TVille like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    ...attached to a hose and an electric pump and sucking tanks dry in less than 5 minutes for the whole crime,If they want it ,they'll get it.
    There was a gas theft ring in my area that would drive a step van over a stations tanks, lower a hose and fill 55 gallon drums full. They finally ran out of luck and got nabbed after video surveillance of the van was shown on the local news.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Just wait a little while, next they will start stealing batteries and you will be really screwed! LOL
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    For the naysayers, I got a locking cap during the last fuel price spike (was it the summer of 2008?) - anyway, I stayed a night at a hotel in downtown Charleston and when I stopped for gas on the way home, found that the key-hole had been pried open by a screw driver, but the cap was still in tact. I was still able to jam the key in there to open it, but even if I would have had to pry it off, it saved me from losing $100 worth of gas. It was just enough difficulty for the thief to provide incentive to move on to the next car.

One could come up with an argument to not put locks on your house too, I suppose.

Never thought about it much.. But I guess a gas thief would be scratching his head trying to find the gas cap or gas tank on my car.
    hahaha reminds me of my 1957 chevy when I'd hit a full service station for fuel. I'd watch the attendant tug at my license plate, walk around looking at both quarters. "wheres the gas go?" I'd jump out and flip the fuel door open. This always brought a grin to there face. The 1956 chevy's whole tail light assembly drops to expose the cap. You'd better be an old geezer like me... if your gonna swipe fuel from an ole shoebox chevy (55 excluded)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    hahaha reminds me of my 1957 chevy when I'd hit a full service station for fuel. I'd watch the attendant tug at my license plate, walk around looking at both quarters. "wheres the gas go?" I'd jump out and flip the fuel door open. This always brought a grin to there face. The 1956 chevy's whole tail light assembly drops to expose the cap. You'd better be an old geezer like me... if your gonna swipe fuel from an ole shoebox chevy (55 excluded)
    Now that brings back memories, back in high school I had a ’49 Caddie IIRC the gas cap was under the left taillight and you pushed on the reflector to unlock it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    If they made one that could go more than 30-50 miles on a charge and pull a 3000lb bass boat it may be useful otherwise I will stick with my SUV and buying gas.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links