Locking Gas Caps - Page 3

Locking Gas Caps

This is a discussion on Locking Gas Caps within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In Greensboro, NC where I lived back in the sixties and seventies the thiefs stole car batteries and gas too. Locking gas caps and chain ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Locking Gas Caps

In Greensboro, NC where I lived back in the sixties and seventies the thiefs stole car batteries and gas too. Locking gas caps and chain down the hood of ur car. At apartment complexes now there is large eye bolts in the pavment so you can chain ur car or truck down so the whole thing is not stolen....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    If they made one that could go more than 30-50 miles on a charge and pull a 3000lb bass boat it may be useful otherwise I will stick with my SUV and buying gas.
    While the towing is a legitimate issue if you need it, I'm scratching my head on the 30-50 miles comment.. I've driven over 100 miles on a charge with my Leaf, and Tesla is making several models that can drive well over 300 miles on a charge. Maybe you're thinking of the Chevy Volt? It does 30-50 miles, but has a gas engine as a backup.

As for stealing batteries. That is a 650 pound battery and you need the car on a lift to remove it. I suppose it could be done, though.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I've been using locking gas caps for 10+ years. Once in a while the aftermarket gas caps will throw a code after drastic temperature changes. You need to get 'em tight when you lock. Locking gas caps won't always deter fuel theft......my parents live in Wichita and thieves have been known to drill and drain the gas tanks on fleet vehicles there. Locking gas cap will deter many. Good investment to my thinking. Good prices at local O'Reilly's auto parts stores. Good move!
    I agree with ya .......... good move

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    While the towing is a legitimate issue if you need it, I'm scratching my head on the 30-50 miles comment.. I've driven over 100 miles on a charge with my Leaf, and Tesla is making several models that can drive well over 300 miles on a charge. Maybe you're thinking of the Chevy Volt? It does 30-50 miles, but has a gas engine as a backup.

As for stealing batteries. That is a 650 pound battery and you need the car on a lift to remove it. I suppose it could be done, though.
    So rather than 30-50 you get 100..WOW. What about the bass boat, will it pull one or not. My guess is it WONT. Like msgt/ret said until they come out with something worth while Ill stick to my SUV....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I filled up both the Tuscon and Silverado yesterday. $125 total.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Regular gas in our area is as of 04-04-12 is 3.94, diesel is 4.19...years back kerosene and diesel was a heck of a lot cheaper then regular gas....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I suppose it would also be rather difficult to steal gas from a car that runs on compressed natural gas.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

We have locking gas caps on our fleet vehicles and they cut the lines to try and pump the gas out. The also have been known to take the tailgates and cut out the catalytic converters.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

I had locking caps on all my cars I've owned. It's not because I don't want them stealing my gas, it's that I don't want them putting crap in the tanks.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Always a good idea to have locking gas caps or doors. Two of our cars lock the gas door with the key fob while the other has the lever inside. The ones that lock have a post that comes out from the side and locks through the piece on the door like a deadbolt. These are much more secure than the simple lever inside.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Do you have any idea how easy it is to get a 'locking' gas cap off?

Last year we had a string of thefts where people were punching holes in the bottom of people's tanks and draining it out that way. If they want it, they'll get it.

^^^Umm^^^^^Yeah^^^^^^^^

In addition to that, around{Metro Detroit} here they also STEAL the WHOLE gas tank. Good luck getting home, or to work.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

My Focus doesn't come with a gas cap so I am hoping that will slow a thief down.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links