Here's a"stupid" question.

This is a discussion on Here's a"stupid" question. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why do entry doors open in? They're too easy to kick in. If they opened out, BGs couldn't break in with a boot. And, if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Here's a"stupid" question.

Here's a"stupid" question.

Why do entry doors open in? They're too easy to kick in.

If they opened out, BGs couldn't break in with a boot. And, if they pulled on it they might get the doorknob off, but that doesn't get them in.

Storm/screen doors aren't really needed anymore with climate control, so I really don't understand any real reason why they "must" open inward.

Thoughts?
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

You'll need to ask the engineers. They got paid big bucks to figure out how to construct your home. If you want things any other way, build it yourself.

No really stupid questions here.

If the door opened out, couldn't you just pop the hinges and pull the door open? That might be an oversimplification, but still....

I'm no engineer either.

• In case of fire, the firefighters can kick the door down?
    • In areas with large amounts of snowfall, the door could be opened easily?
    • If there are stairs leading up to the door, the person wouldn't have to step back for the door to open?
    • Easier to prop the door open for moving things in the house?
    • When you open the door, you don't have to step outside?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

It is a question of hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It is a question of hinges.
    And engineering.....at least they'll have to work for it right? Be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    If the door opened out, couldn't you just pop the hinges and pull the door open? That might be an oversimplification, but still....
    This is the answer I think on residential. On commercial property they open outward as a fire safety function. No reason why residential couldn't be engineered to work the other way (other than cost).
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

you would knock the Jehovah’s witnesses off the stoop when you answered the door too fast

It is so I can hide behind the door when I see my daughter coming home from work, then wait for it.....waaaaaait for it..... and then reach from behind the door, grab her shoulder and scream.....and then watching her turn to into either a murderous she devil....or a quivering jello bowl.....and it is fricking hilarious ever single time!

Uh, she doesn't pack heat yet. Once she gets her CCL I doubt I will try that any longer because I am severely allergic to lead and copper injections.......
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Hinges could be altered. But, that's one good reason. The only one I can come up with.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

When I built my garage I made the steel man door swing out, mainly so I could squeeze 5 or 6 cars in and still enter & exit easier. I took the mig and tacked the hinge pins so they couldn't be easily driven out. Now after I turned it into the man cave... It'd be nice to have it swinging the other way so I could enjoy looking out a storm door. I cant swing it in now even with a new door. The racedeck flooring system laid down is 1/2" thick and won't allow a standard door the clearance to swing. I'd have to cut into the header and sheetrock to gain clearance. If I just leave it open I'll be fightin the dad burn skeeters and biting gnats :(
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

And what about when UPS leaves that heavy package in front of your door?
    msgt/ret and nerdyvirgin like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Sponsor
    I think I'd go for sliding doors, everywhere.
    Go with the glow

The reason is several fold. Man homes don't have room to open a door outwards if someone is standing there - the porch or stoop isn't big enough. Plus, since visitors knock, the door would be opened into them, not away from them. As mentioned, commercial doors open outwards for fire escape path. Also, most commercial doors are opened by the visitor, and they just walk in, so they get out of the way when they open it, and the stoop or entry area is designed to accomodate that. The hinges is not a big thing - you can my hinges with non-removable pins, or make them yourself, as Theshadow did.

If you really want the door secure, insert pins into the door and frame on the hinge side. A pin in the door that goes into a hole in the frame. Many cheaper safes have this - pins that don't move. If the holes are a little over sized, they will fit. Do that and you can cut the hinges off and can't get the door out - it is locked on both sides.

I'm surprised none of our Florida members haven't commented on this. In Florida it is common (the norm?) for a homes front door to open outward. I lived there for a year and was surprised to see this was the way all (or most) homes were built, at least in Southeast Florida where I lived. I was told it is done that way because of hurricanes and heavy storms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links