just had an exciting false alarm (home alarm)

This is a discussion on just had an exciting false alarm (home alarm) within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wife, son and I were upstairs sleeping. At 3:55 AM today, the home alarm went off. I jumped out of bed from a dead sleep, ...

Thread: just had an exciting false alarm (home alarm)

Wife, son and I were upstairs sleeping. At 3:55 AM today, the home alarm went off. I jumped out of bed from a dead sleep, got the Glock, checked the alarm key pad and found it was basement window that was tripped. Yelled to my wife (who is apt to be dismissive of these types of things) to get our son and then her Glock as I covered the basement door from upstairs. Threw her my cell to call 911 (she took the phone out of the bedroom).

She got 911 on the phone, the police came and did a perimeter search, then came to front door. When it came time to open the door for them, I put the Glock in the safepacker holster and went and opened the door for them. Two officers went to check the basement for me while a third stayed with me on the first floor. They had me put the safe packer with Glock out of reach while they were in the house (just put it up on top of a cupboard for the time).

All systems, clear, so they left.

My wife told my son the Easter Bunny set off the alarm and my son got to do an early morning easter egg search.

My perceptions:
    (1) I was standing 4 feet from my safe for the wait for the police, but was too concerned with turning my back on the downstairs to grab something with more oomph, e.g., 870 with buckshot, AR, AK.
    (2) MY wife's gun vault worked great (that is after I screamed to her to get her Glock while she was on with 911).
    (3) I have to get my wife to put a phone back in the bedroom.
    (4) Even though the police response was very quick, the few minutes with a loaded Glock pointed toward the basement door seemed like forever.
    (5) I put the spare mag from the safe packer in my sweats pants pocket and grabbed the light from the safe packer. I do like the safe packer.

I'd like to say I'm going back to sleep no, but I don't think I can go back to sleep now.

Glad it was a false alarm!

Top o' the morning to ya! Heck ofva way to wake up..........

Glad all's good. Just help the young'un eat a bit of that Easter chocolate and take a nap when you come down from the sugar and adrenaline rush
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Maybe it was the Easter Bunny coming to get some eggs so he could distribute them evenly among himself
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Was the window ajar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Glad nothing came of it, your wife might have had to tell your son, you shot the Easter bunny. But seriously, glad you're ok.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Glad everyones ok and was just a false alarm. WOW that early in the morning defenitly would be exciting.

The Safepacker makes a great "Bump in the Night" kit!

That rascally rabbit... He needs to be more careful when he visits. Sounds like you came close to having Hasenpfeffer for Easter dinner.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I hope the Easter Bunny does not talk to Santa. My boy would be sad if Santa passed over our house. :)

The window was not ajar. Walked through it wit alarm tech. They will be coming in the week to replace the faulty connector. I still have basement motion detector, so still good to go.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I would bite the bunny's ears off for that one!
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

VIP Member
    Question for you. Since you have both the window alarm and the motion detector, was there good reason to
    assume a false alarm, or to assume whoever might have tripped it was outside?

What kind of locks etc do you have on that basement door? It would be nice to know that if someone got in there
    that is as far as they were going to get.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Question for you. Since you have both the window alarm and the motion detector, was there good reason to
    assume a false alarm, or to assume whoever might have tripped it was outside?
    Totally honest, I did not even process that. Heck, I forgot I even had the motion detector until the alarm co. tech walked me through the settings after everything was over. Startled awake from a dead sleep, the only things I could think were to get armed, get my son to my wife, get her armed, have her call 911 from a position of safety with my son and wait behind cover for anything coming up from the basement. I only thought about what to do when the police came (get my gun back in the safe packer holster) before greeting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    What kind of locks etc do you have on that basement door? It would be nice to know that if someone got in there
    that is as far as they were going to get.
    Definitely not adequate ones! I need to put new doors to the outside and the inside. The inside door to the basement has a simple lock and it was locked. That's another todo for me.

Links