Woke up to an open kitchen door early this morning.

This is a discussion on Woke up to an open kitchen door early this morning. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I just had the crap scared out of me. Actually it was around four o'clock this morning. I woke up feeling thirsty, so I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Woke up to an open kitchen door early this morning.

Well, I just had the crap scared out of me. Actually it was around four o'clock this morning. I woke up feeling thirsty, so I went downstairs for a quick drink, and I noticed it was freezing. The lights were off, of course, so I clicked the lights on in the living room to check the thermostat. You can see into the kitchen from the living room, and the backdoor. And, I saw that it was wide open. I was the last one in bed, and I know for a fact that I closed and locked it. My heart went from 0-60 in less than a second. I bolted up the stairs, grabbed the first gun I saw, which was my .357 snubbie, and a flashlight. My girlfriend woke up, asked what I was doing. I told her, and she immediately woke up, grabbed her gun, and went into the kids room, to stay there with them, while I cleared the house. Their bedroom is right outside ours, at the top of the stairs, so she basically just st at the top of the stairs, waiting for me.

I went back downstairs, checked all the closets, checked the kitchen cabinets, went out the litchen door and checked the sunroom, came back in, closed the door behind me. The doorknob was still locked, which confirmed to me that I had indeed locked it, and not just assumed that I did. I shut it again, pushed it firmly to make sure the latch caught, then headed to the basement, check ed every nook and cranny (we have a big basement), then checked our coal closet.

I came back upstairs, and sat in the living room, trying to slow m heart down. Then I heard a noise outside. My girlfriend heard it too, and caled down to me to ask if I'd heard it. I told her to throw down a pair of pants and shoes for me. I threw them on, then went out into the yard to look around, and told my girl to lock the door behind me. I checked the shed, under our porch, and behind the hedges. Nothing. Then I saw out garbage cans in the front yard, knocked over, with garbage thrown everywhere. Then a huge gust of wind blew across the yard.

My girl let me back in the house, and I sat down on the couch to relax. The wind picked up outside, and that's when I heard the door shake pretty hard. I went and checked it, then I went out and closed the door to the sunroom. Once I did that, the kitchen door stopped shaking. So it was the wind that knocked the door open. It must have happened while we were sleeping. Talk about having the crap scared out of you.

I'm heading to Home Depot tomorrow, to get a deadbolt set for the kitchen door. If the wind can push open a locked door, then someone's foot can do it. This is the first time that's happened, and we've lived in this house for about a year now. All this time, we were living with an unsecure door. It's a safe neighborhood, but still, that's unacceptable.

So did you ever get back to sleep??

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmruger View Post
    So did you ever get back to sleep??
    Of course not, LOL. I didn't need coffee this morning, either, though I'm having a cup right now.

Boy, the Easter Bunny is playing tricks on everyone this year. Glad you and yours are ok.
    Dumbledork likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I've had a few similar situation happen to me.

The thought of picking up a firearm and knowing there's a good chance you'll use it will drive your adrenaline through the roof.
    Dumbledork likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Do yourself a favor and buy a dog or alarm!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Do yourself a favor and buy a dog or alarm!
    We have a dog. He's a useless boxer/beagle mix, LOL. He's big, and mean and scary looking, but he only barks when he's playing with the kids. An alarm is also on my shopping list.

+1 million on the dog! Glad everything worked out and it was just the wind.

I swear a sneeze would blow any of my doors in. Newly constructed houses these days aren't made with security in mind...

I hear you on this one. If my front door is not close pretty hard it won't latch. I heard the door blow upon with some force when we first bought the house. Scared the bejesus out of me. I had to get my gun, and check the house and yard. Didn't know it was the wind until a few days later sitting in the living room it happened again so that I could see it.
    Dumbledork likes this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Oh, good, so it's not just me. I feel like les of an idiot now, LOL. This house is old, and in need of some repair. When we first moved in, the bathroom always gave me a creepy feeling. I chalked it up to me being an idiot. but one day, I got out of the shower, and went to open up the vanity to get some shaving cream, and I zapped myself so badly, I almost passed out. Turns out, there was a short somewhere in the wall behind the vanity. The entire frame of the thing is stainless steel, and there's wiring running through it. I had to tear apart the entire thing and redo the wiring.

There's been other issues, mostly electrical, that I've had to look after, plus the idiot neighbor and wildlife issues. To be honest, my first thought was that our neighbor came by to steal lawn tools from our sunroom.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    Oh, good, so it's not just me. I feel like les of an idiot now, LOL. This house is old, and in need of some repair. When we first moved in, the bathroom always gave me a creepy feeling. I chalked it up to me being an idiot. but one day, I got out of the shower, and went to open up the vanity to get some shaving cream, and I zapped myself so badly, I almost passed out. Turns out, there was a short somewhere in the wall behind the vanity. The entire frame of the thing is stainless steel, and there's wiring running through it. I had to tear apart the entire thing and redo the wiring.

There's been other issues, mostly electrical, that I've had to look after, plus the idiot neighbor and wildlife issues. To be honest, my first thought was that our neighbor came by to steal lawn tools from our sunroom.

Mabe your "Old House" is inhabited by Casper and his uncles.

Stay vigilant, and double check everything prior to going to bed for the night.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I'm with the canine crowd...you'll know when someone's around the house.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When are you going to marry that girl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rotorblade likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    When are you going to marry that girl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As soon as I can afford to give her the wedding she deserves. So, probably in a year or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links