How fast can you get to it?

This is a discussion on How fast can you get to it? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting post. It makes me think that perhaps I should be a little more diligent in carrying at home. I tend to have a gun ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How fast can you get to it?

Interesting post. It makes me think that perhaps I should be a little more diligent in carrying at home. I tend to have a gun nearby but not always and the security system is usually on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

To be honest. I carry while at home, and have never given any thought to someone getting to theres before I get to mine...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

How fast can you get to it?

Quicker than you can say "Ooops!!! Sorry, wrong house!!!!"
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

What if you had been asleep on the couch, in your bedroom or where ever and it took you a few minutes to wake up or get your clothes on? If you had met a gang-banger that could care less if you had lived or died, COULD you be able to respond with deadly force? Would you have been able to run back to the bedroom, nightstand or where ever it was that you kept you gun or would you have been shot?
    Well when I heard the gunshots from the perp trying to kill the two rottweilers firmly clamped to his extremities, I will have more than enough time to wake up, grab the AR that is about 5 feet from where I cat napped, and begin exacting revenge on the scumbags who just killed my "family" members

I keep a pistol on my person pretty much at all times it is legal for me to do so except in the shower. When I nap I just put the pistol on the arm of the lazy boy next to the couch so I can be armed as quickly as it takes me to wake up.

Plus my two large dogs would either be a great deterrent to even consider breaking in and if someone does break in then they will at least give me an additional few seconds to prepare my defense.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

HG

I think for the most part everyone here is prepared for this type of situation. I think you need to get your PD buddies in line with the rest of us...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    HG

I think for the most part everyone here is prepared for this type of situation. I think you need to get your PD buddies in line with the rest of us...
    The one thing that this website does is increase your situational awareness. The news stories and even the fictitious scenarios quickly teach you that having a gun tucked away in a gun safe somewhere won't necessarily benefit you in an emergency situation. Since I live alone, I don't have to worry about keeping guns out of the hands of children.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    This same type of thing was happening here a couple of years ago. About 3 homes within a block or two of our home were hit this way.

I can view my front door, back door and garage door, from the tv in our bedroom, or the tv in the den. One quick flip of a button will allow me to see who is at the door. It would only take about 10 - 20 seconds to view the tv, and pick a pistol or two out of the safe if I wasn't already dressed for the day and was still in bed. By the time they started to bust through the storm door to get access to the front door, I am pretty sure they would get the message that they weren't welcome in my home.

Attachment 58120
    I have a similar camera setup but I have three outdoor cameras I can access from my bedroom tv and my computer in an instant.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Lucky for me this is a highly improbable scenario. Between the coon hounds, and 2 German Shepherds, and the 200 yard drive, which is the only way in off the main road, any surprise attack on my house would have to come from from walking through a thousand acres of Daniel Boone National Forest, which is behind me.

Plus, I've got two really mean geese that hate everybody.
    LOL. I have this mental picture of a BG with a GS on each leg and a goose on each cheek. The coon dogs waiting for him to climb a tree.
    MisterAvis likes this.

I would probably be in the obituary the next day. I keep my gun far enough away from me so I have to do atleast one action before I have my gun. It's never at arms reach when Im getting ready to retire for the day.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    I don't answer my door to anyone I don't know.
    We're the same way. I don't care if they hear me inside or not.

If I only had one gun, I'd likely figure out a way to carry or have it near me at home regardless of which room I was in.

As it is, the easy answer is "at least one in each room" ;) We have no kids.

Years ago I had someone banging on my door at 2am. I kept my Browning Buckmark's mag loaded and in my top drawer. Grabbed it and had it ready in a few seconds. I put my jeans on and put it in my front pocket so I could draw it out quickly. I looked out the door's window and saw a guy wearing all black, no hat and dancing because it wasabout 5 degrees outside. I yelled through the door WHat do you want. He said his car was stuck in the ditch and needed my phone. A quick look affirmed that so I opened the main door. I said come in as I backed away and never took me eyes off him. His pants were full of snow from trying to push his car out. He came in and he saw the gun and asked if I was going to shoot him. I said its not everyday someone bangs on my door at 2am and won't shoot anyone unless I have to. Just then he sees my wife holding an 870(unloaded but she grabbed it just in case she had to bluff a bg) He laughs and says Holy XXXt, you guys don't fool around!
    He made his call and some of his buddies came and pulled him out. We made him a hot choclate while he waited and we talked about guns. He never shot one and his mom hated them blah blah blah. A few days later I go in to pay for my gas in the next town and he's the guy at the register. I asked him if he went in the ditch latley. He says "Hey, I'm glad to see you. I've been thinking about home defense and guns and was thinking about stopping by your place to learn more about that stuff." I ended up taking him to a rifle/ pistol range and some trap shooting. The guy is now a good friend and avid shooter. He now lives in AZ and carries every day. (LCR)
    I converted an anti!
    Hows that for a good ending? Now days my edc gun is always right there at night. Plus I have quite a few other options.
    HotGuns likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    When I bought my house it had double wooden front doors with no screen. I could push them in with one hand. Most of the houses in the neighborhood are built the same way. A few years ago I replaced the flimsy double doors with a single solid fiberglass door with all fiberglass jambs and reinforced double pane side-lites. I ran extra long stainless-steel screws through the hinges and latch-plates and added a dead-bolt. By the time the bad guys kicked in my door I could leisurely stroll to the bedroom and retrieve my Mossberg 500 loaded with 00 buck or I could stand and wait while slowly drawing my S&W 342 loaded with .38+p hydroshocks from my pocket. I could even call the police and they might get here before I have to clean either of my friends. The "stand your ground law" is getting a lot of grief here lately.

Yesterday, my stay at home wife was outside watering her flowers when a Deputy Sherrif rolled up and started talking to her about the same type of robberies in our neighborhood that have been happening in the last 2 weeks. Same MO, scout, knock, smash and grab. He warned her about it and asked her to keep an eye out for anything suspicious. I carry 50/50 at home. Not when working in the yard, but just when "hanging out". Can't carry at work due to office policy, so my handgun stays at home. My wife is strictly "no gun" person and will not even touch the gun or let alone go to the range with me. I keep asking her to start her handgun training to protect our kids (13 and 16 girls) when I am not at home, but no dice. So we now have a very protective 90 lbs black German Shepard. Hopefully he will be a deterance to any smash and grabbers and he will give me the 1 minute of warning/time to do what I need to do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links