How fast can you get to it? - Page 4

How fast can you get to it?

This is a discussion on How fast can you get to it? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by txron Can't carry at work due to office policy, so my handgun stays at home. Is it against office policy to keep ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How fast can you get to it?

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Can't carry at work due to office policy, so my handgun stays at home.
    Is it against office policy to keep a gun locked up in your car? I can't carry at work either. I still carry my pistol and leave it in the car for potential stops on my way to or from work and for the occasional lunchtime walk to Starbucks.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

It's highly unlikely it will happen at my house. No one is just going to kick in my doors or smash a window to get in. It will take more than just a concerted effort to get inside.

If they happen to make it inside, their next stop will be the autopsy table for a post mortem ballistics study, and then on to a funeral home of their families choice.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Always be armed. By the way...as I am typing this message it's here. If I have to get up and go to the toilet, it goes with me. Habit that's hard to break. Won't be broken. This is at home. On the street is different.

Home is usually thought of as castle, and a place to relax. I figure my odds of getting hit at home outweigh the odds of me encountering dingbats on the streets actually. Home needs to be fortified. This little buddy of mine is in hand when I sleep. Many folks will never get to this point for the simple reasons it can never happen to them or in their neighborhood. Quit listening to the lies and start living in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    Is it against office policy to keep a gun locked up in your car? I can't carry at work either. I still carry my pistol and leave it in the car for potential stops on my way to or from work and for the occasional lunchtime walk to Starbucks.
    At first the no gun at work policy rule did extend to the parking lot, but Texas passed a law saying companies could not do that, so I can keep my handgun in the car, but I choose not to. I rarely stopp anywhere on my way home. I usually have to rush home to get my kids to one of there activities so it has not posed a problem. As soon as I get home, I start to carry.

If I'm awakened from mt normal deep sleep, it would take awhile to clear my head - meanwhile the BG is fully alert. For that reason, I rely on a pump shotgun for our home defense. I keep four of them scattered throughout the house (no kids), and one is always within reasonable reach. It's doubtful anyone could get past the dogs anyway (alive). But I really need that Goose!

"How fast can you get to it?"
    First of all, great story and articulated perfectly.

As for the question. I can honestly answer that like this. Regardless of where I am, or what time of day it might be, I can be ready for an encounter such as the one you described, or most any other for that matter, within at least a few seconds. It only takes one close encounter in my life to instill the value of always being prepared for the unthinkable. I don't visit states where I cannot legally carry my firearm, and I don't frequent shady areas of town, nor do I party into the wee hours of the night. Bottom line for me, if it's legal to carry where I'm at, I will be; and if some idiot, thinks for one second that I wont blast his butt to smithereens, well, he's sadly mistaken.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Look at my Avatar...... They hate anyone who is not in the C Hawk Glock clan........
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Look at my Avatar...... They hate anyone who is not in the C Hawk Glock clan........
    That's a good looking Boxer..

My little Rattie thinks she's 10' tall and bullet proof, but she's only fourteen pounds and a sweetheart..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Always be armed. By the way...as I am typing this message it's here. If I have to get up and go to the toilet, it goes with me. Habit that's hard to break. Won't be broken. This is at home. On the street is different.

Home is usually thought of as castle, and a place to relax. I figure my odds of getting hit at home outweigh the odds of me encountering dingbats on the streets actually. Home needs to be fortified. This little buddy of mine is in hand when I sleep. Many folks will never get to this point for the simple reasons it can never happen to them or in their neighborhood. Quit listening to the lies and start living in reality.
    In bold:Why do folks think because one does not carry in their house or have it right next to them they are not living in reality? Some call it a risk assessment. There is virtually zero violent crime where I live. I have a "excuse me, patting my self on the back" awesome security and early warning system that is designed for me to not get caught by surprise. Which works well and you would have to know how it works to defeat it. I have a dog. I have gun 'handy' meaning lock and loaded, not in a safe but not in arms reach. I like to think my home is my castle and for a few hours a day maybe truly relax in "white". I do not sleep with a gun in my hand, prefer my wifes hand. What some might call me naive, some might call you paranoid. I don't care for either label. You do your risk assesment and take your own precautions and I will do mine. Could it happen? sure. But I have weighed the risks and accept them openly, not as you call it 'listening to the lies'. And as far as reality. The reality is in MY situation the ods are EXTREMELY low that I will have a successful home invasion.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    My house is a freaking death trap move on down the road

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links