Is Joe there?

Is Joe there?

This is a discussion on Is Joe there? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just reading this thread and thought of an interesting scenario. A burglar knocks on your door testing to see if anyone is home. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Is Joe there?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Is Joe there?

I was just reading this thread and thought of an interesting scenario.

A burglar knocks on your door testing to see if anyone is home. You answer (armed) and he asks, "Is Joe there?" Regardless of your name, you say, "Ya, I am Joe. How can I help you?"

What do you think would happen next? How would the burglar react to that? Would he have even thought that this scenario could come up? Would he be smart enough to get out of it gracefully?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    From what I read, they don't ask for a normal name. It's usually something like 'Pooky' or 'Old Boy'.

So, if you said that you were indeed 'Pooky', you may cause them to stumble for words, or it may initiate their attack. I think you're better off being well armed and telling them that they are at the wrong house.

The only phrase that I memorize is the one that I'll use for drawing against the drop, and the trigger word that I'll draw on.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I was just reading this thread "Is Joe there?"
    "Jo mamma??? Yeah, but she busy."
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist. That would quickly make all intentions abundantly clear, tho.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

You: "Hang on, let me ask my Glock."

(Glances down and asks Glock)

You: "He says no... Wanna ask him yourself?"
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Or if the person is indeed just a person at the wrong door, and you say you are Joe then it would get pretty weird.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

sounds like cheech and chong ... who is it?... dave.... who?.... it's dave,open up the door!.... dave?...yea....Daves not here!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    From inside the house: Who wants to know? If I get an answer, then: Tell me your phone number and I will pass it on.

"Joe just went for a ride in the meat wagon, oh here's a towel you seem to have wet yourself"
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Don't shoot the balloons when they let them go! I wonder if anyone ever took a shot at Ed McMahon?
    041028_mcmahon_vmed_930awidec.jpg
    Michael

I'm not friendly with idiots asking stupid questions in our subdivision. Someone asking for Joe, Jo Mama, or anyone else, is certainly out of place and quickly realizes I'm not amused..."Leave, NOW!"

Works in parking lots, too. I was just sitting in my truck a few evenings ago and my son (33) ran into the store.
    I noticed this guy on a bike going from car to car asking for something (Money or Joe).
    As he got within 15 feet of my rolled down window, I simple said, "Go away, NOW!"
    My very unfriendly voice and face had the guy simply say, "Happy Easter", as he quickly rode on to someone else.
    No problem for me, no problem for him...yes, I was armed and quietly prepared...I'm always armed.
    Bark'n and Pistology like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not friendly with idiots asking stupid questions in our subdivision. Someone asking for Joe, Jo Mama, or anyone else, is certainly out of place and quickly realizes I'm not amused..."Leave, NOW!"

Works in parking lots, too. I was just sitting in my truck a few evenings ago and my son (33) ran into the store.
    I noticed this guy on a bike going from car to car asking for something (Money or Joe).
    As he got within 15 feet of my rolled down window, I simple said, "Go away, NOW!"
    My very unfriendly voice and face had the guy simply say, "Happy Easter", as he quickly rode on to someone else.
    No problem for me, no problem for him...yes, I was armed and quietly prepared...I'm always armed.
    You're a meany!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Joe who? Glass storm door is locked, if they decide to come through it, or offer lethal offense from outside it they won't need Joe any longer.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I won't be able to hear them and they won't be able to hear me over the sound of my two dogs barking and going nuts.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Joe not gonna like the ending
    dev_null likes this.

Yeah I'm Joe...FEDERAL MARSHALLS SEARCH WARRANT ON THE GROUND DO NOT REACH FOR THAT GUN
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links